Mirrorlink

Guest rayms69

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Moving my post over here:

Hi everyone,<br />

<br />

I've been lurking mirrorlink threads for a while now. I know that the issue is due to the fact that mirror link version 1.0 is running in the car and most phones are 1.1 (or higher?). Has anyone heard any real solid eta on the possible update?<br />

<br />

In one thread, someone said July, in another, it said October. Does anyone have new info or rumors on this? <br />

<br />

Since 2016 owners are running into the same issue, I assume it's still being looked at by someone at Subaru.<br />

<br />

Thank you for your time!

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Moving my post over here:

Hi everyone,<br />

<br />

I've been lurking mirrorlink threads for a while now. I know that the issue is due to the fact that mirror link version 1.0 is running in the car and most phones are 1.1 (or higher?). Has anyone heard any real solid eta on the possible update?<br />

<br />

In one thread, someone said July, in another, it said October. Does anyone have new info or rumors on this? <br />

<br />

Since 2016 owners are running into the same issue, I assume it's still being looked at by someone at Subaru.<br />

<br />

Thank you for your time!

Gah it totally broke it.

Lol, if you want you can edit with the pencil icon then delete it is just a learning curve.

The next thing is try to setup your profile with avatar.

That is another PITA.

Again Welcome to the forum and your added insights.

Laughing at Oneself and with Other is good for the Soul😆

Called SOA yesterday and the lady mentioned she was also waiting for the software update and she also had a 2015 legacy. At this point of time it was unsure weather 2016 has 1.1 version. She told me she will take as a note and email me the details if 16 models supports 1.1. They have clearly told me there nothing like update will be announced in near future. From my perspective i wouldn't wait because they told me its not going to happen.:nono::nono::nono:

Called SOA yesterday and the lady mentioned she was also waiting for the software update and she also had a 2015 legacy. At this point of time it was unsure weather 2016 has 1.1 version. She told me she will take as a note and email me the details if 16 models supports 1.1. They have clearly told me there nothing like update will be announced in near future. From my perspective i wouldn't wait because they told me its not going to happen.:nono::nono::nono:

That's too bad. Pandora and aha work for me most of the time but the whole reason I didn't pick the navigation feature was because of Google maps and mirrorlink. Now I wish i added it.

Like I said earlier ... I just got the 2016 Forester ... still doesnt work.

I love the car!!! Too bad this feature is not working obviously.

I suspect Subaru will not be motivated until the competition and reviewers points out the deficiency. Then marketing wont be happy and something will get done. So were ever possible on the net ... COMPLAIN! :)

I contacted Subaru with my complaint about the lack of Mirrorlink functionality. I have a 2015 Legacy with Mirrorlink grayed out on the apps screen and a Samsung Galaxy S6. Aside from the fact that Mirrorlink just doesn't work, the further problem is that the phone THINKS it's working, so the phone screen goes blank whenever the phone is plugged in to the USB port for charging. So I have to choose between having my phone function or having it charge (I have not yet tried the short-term workaround suggested in the e-mail below).

Here's the good news: The response I received from Subaru (quoted below) indicates that they plan to roll out a firmware update by end of year 2015. Here's hoping.

Subaru's response to me:

"Thank you for contacting Subaru of America, Inc. We appreciate you taking time out of your day to contact us.

The latest version of Mirrorlink is version 1.1. This version is not backwards compatible with version 1.0, which is the version found in the head unit of your 2015 Legacy.

Subaru engineers are looking into the option of offering an update to the current Mirrorlink version found in our vehicles. Such an upgrade would be offered as a firmware update, and we anticipate this will be available by the end of this year.

We will post more information about Mirrorlink updates on http://www.subaru.com, once it is available.

As a short term work-around for your concern, I would recommend checking your phone settings. Under the Mirrorlink setting there should be an option to turn the Mirrorlink connectivity on or off. If you turn the Mirrorlink off in the phone, it should prevent the screen from going blank.

I appreciate the opportunity to be of assistance.

Sincerely,

Grant Noble

Subaru of America, Inc.

Customer/Dealer Services Department"

When mirrorlink finally works on Subaru ..... how useful will it really be?

It appears that apps need to be approved by the Car Connectivity Consortium and then the car manufacturer decides which approved apps they will allow to run on their platform.

I do not see Google Maps as an approved app by the CCC . There are very few apps approved in fact I saw the following listed:

Audioteka – audiobook app.

BringGo – premium, turn-by-turn navigation app for over 80 countries and in more than 30 languages.

Coyote – pan-European, community-based, multi-platform Driving Assistant Service,

Glympse –location-sharing technology that allows drivers to use their car’s display to share their real-time movements with anyone they choose, including estimated time of arrival (ETA), on a dynamic map.

miRoamer – digital media platform for internet radio and music entertainment.

Parkopedia – allows drivers to find parking in over 6,000 cities across 50 countries

Sygic – offline navigation app

Am I missing something ?

When mirrorlink finally works on Subaru ..... how useful will it really be?

It appears that apps need to be approved by the Car Connectivity Consortium and then the car manufacturer decides which approved apps they will allow to run on their platform.

I do not see Google Maps as an approved app by the CCC . There are very few apps approved in fact I saw the following listed:

Audioteka – audiobook app.

BringGo – premium, turn-by-turn navigation app for over 80 countries and in more than 30 languages.

Coyote – pan-European, community-based, multi-platform Driving Assistant Service,

Glympse –location-sharing technology that allows drivers to use their car’s display to share their real-time movements with anyone they choose, including estimated time of arrival (ETA), on a dynamic map.

miRoamer – digital media platform for internet radio and music entertainment.

Parkopedia – allows drivers to find parking in over 6,000 cities across 50 countries

Sygic – offline navigation app

Am I missing something ?

Mirrorlink literally mirrors whatever is on the screen of your phone. In my case, I can use the HTC car app in this manner -

Thanks! So what are "certified applications"? I see the term in almost all mirrorlink information ?

I guess I'll just have to wait to see for myself .

To be honest I'm not sure. I'm afraid you're right though, we won't know till we test it ourselves.

The more I read about mirrorlink the more I understand ... no surprise of course.

Its very apparent that the auto industry is still sorting out how to best integrate cell phone s. The promise is there and we are all excited about it but really no decision has been made. The the leading technologies proposed are: mirrorlink of course, there is android auto, apple has their proprietary(of course) solution carplay.

The auto manufacturers really have not decided and claim they will support them all!

Subaru has clearly made some effort to support mirrorlink ... its shows up on the HU and at one time might have worked until the idiots who developed the mirrorlink protocol decide version 1.1 could not be backwards compatible . That decision alone set them back considerably.

As for mirrorlink just being able to mirror the phone .... perhaps ... perhaps not. I think this is really dependent on how the client software (the software running in the car HU). The mirrorlink protocol does specify that the client is supposed to only display the "certified" apps so what we maybe seeing out there is early implementations ... probably V1.0 mirrorlink.

The best bet at getting mirrorlink ... or for that matter Android Auto or Carplay is to get an old car and install a new receiver :) ... like from Pioneer or Alpine ! ... these devices are more dedicated to providing cell phone integration.

Sadly ... this going to be awhile before we really have something settled.

Just picked up my 2016 this morning. One of the first things I wanted to try was the Mirrorlink. I connected my galaxy note 4 running Lollipop and to my surprise this is what I got. Mirrorlink seems to be working with the Glympse app. This is the only app that I have that is approved for Mirrorlink. I'm ecstatic that its working.

FullSizeRender1.thumb.jpg.e9682ebd63c0739ccdcb9c3d4861c3b0.jpg

FullSizeRender5.thumb.jpg.36b235502f0e1f1d0a16cafdb4015374.jpg

FullSizeRender2.thumb.jpg.0e3295edea432eed5ab703e66423c1f7.jpg

FullSizeRender3.thumb.jpg.19de43cc701b3e320337f3a69566f02e.jpg

FullSizeRender4.thumb.jpg.b2b93af41bb0447f9d91938a1f22fefd.jpg

Just picked up my 2016 this morning. One of the first things I wanted to try was the Mirrorlink. I connected my galaxy note 4 running Lollipop and to my surprise this is what I got. Mirrorlink seems to be working with the Glympse app. This is the only app that I have that is approved for Mirrorlink. I'm ecstatic that its working.

What version of Mirrorlink is your phone running?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Android Lollipop (5.0) uses MirrorLink 1.1. It's good to hear that Mirrorlink now works! I have a Note 4 myself and am estatic to hear that it now works. Can't wait for my 2016 to arrive.

To find out your version, go to Settings -> System -> About Device. The version should be under "Android Version". I have 5.1.1 .

I'm not sure how to check on the phone but according to spec it should be v1.1 I have the phone less then a year. If there is a way to check on the phone let me know how and I will report back

Inspired by Red3kgt, I downloaded Glympse to my Galaxy S5, plugged into my '15, and... nothing. Mirrorlink still greyed out. Oh well.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I tried again on my 2016 Forrester.

Galaxy Note 4 . Android version 5.0.1 .

Loaded Glympse and Sygic.

No Luck.

Connect phone to USB in car and the phone displays the mirror link connected message.

But the Mirrorlink app on HU apps display stays greyed out.

Checked the phone mirror link settings (under more networks) and it does show Sygic as a loaded certified app ... not sure why it does not show Glympse ...

sigh

Archived