LegacyGT.com

Mirrorlink

Guest rayms69

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Someone test it with a GS3 on outback forum, it works.

GS3, Note 2 should work. I'm still waiting for AT&T to push 4.4.3 FW suppose to support MirrorLink, but haven't seen anyone report HTC M8 from other carrier report result yet.

16' Legacy Mods: 55w HID + XB35 5500k, LEDS upgrades, XB Type T Fog, 20mm SB.

Custom Footwell Illiminate Kit; http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/15-legacy-outback-footwell-illumination-kit-237567.html

Guest rayms69
Thanks Dasanii, i really thought we had mirrorlink and thats BS that it doesnt work. They can firmware update this Nav system, no problem, i agree its installed just needs the code. Anyone who wants to do stuff like play video games or text or watch a movie.....are already frickin doing it without it being on the sweet big 7" in your face. I just want more gauges on my screen with torque, the family can watch a movie while i drive to wherever. I dont do anything that really distracts me from driving, look down at gauges, no big deal. Praying for an update.

• 4 months later...

So Mirrorlink does not work on the 2015 Subaru. It is grayed out under all circumstances, phone connected via BlueTooth or USB. There's no "Mirrorlink" app in the iTunes store. Nothing in the controls of the cars head unit to turn Mirrorlink off or on.

Mirror link appears to be similar to Apple Car Play and Google's Android Auto, idea being to have apps will run on your car's touchscreen just as they run on the phone.

Why is this sold as a feature of the car if it is disabled? And it would be great feature to get auto specific apps, Google search, Google Maps with nav.

Why does Subaru even put it on the car's screen as a default application? Is there some announcement by Subaru on future enabling?

Uh oh...looks like Apple Car Play or Mirrorlink are never going to work on the 2015's stock unit.

"The IVI must carry the MirrorLink API on a specific chipset in order to work with certain smartphones."

I'd guess cars will have them in next couple years. Don't really understand why the API (software) has to be on chipset though.

I don't understand the majority of this, but I don't like the sound of CarPlay never working. Was REALLY holding out hope for that.

I don't understand the majority of this, but I don't like the sound of CarPlay never working. Was REALLY holding out hope for that.

Basically if the car does not have the chipset (hardware) it can't be upgraded simply by a software update. It appears that is the case with the Subaru. Probably why those with Android phones and Mirrorlink lost service when Android operating system upgraded. It's really stupid engineering and not very customer friendly. Kind of like if Apple or Android forced you to buy a new phone every time they upgraded the operating system.

Hopefully the ComputerWorld article was wrong and it can be upgraded but I'm doubtful on Apple CarPlay as it would be on the car now if it the car system could run it.

I'll wait six months for things to hash out. I get a new car every three years so paying $3K to upgrade head unit and sound system to get CarPlay is like not something I'd do vs. just making sure new car had it.

Car mfgs should just have a mount for iPadMini or a Samsung Galaxy. Those would be good for 5 years or more and could display all the car functions. You choose which system you want when you buy your car and you can switch systems if you change your phone.

While it can't run Carplay or Android Auto (those are car OS's) there is no reason subaru couldn't work to get their other apps working with the current ecosystem. They just don't want to spend the time or money (It probably wouldn't be worth it anyway).

As far as I have seen as Dansi Posted it does work on the S3 (BUT IT REQUIRES AN OLDER VERSION OF ANDROID) so unless you bought your S3 and never updated it you will not get drive link working, if you have your phone unlocked you could try flashing an older ROM/android version, and it might work, I have an old S3 I plan on trying it with at some point just to see.

While it can't run Carplay or Android Auto (those are car OS's) there is no reason subaru couldn't work to get their other apps working with the current ecosystem.

Easier to just do a firmware update and include the API (the software links) to CarPlay, Auto and for Mirrorlink. Then let people pick which system their phone works with and that's it. No other engineering, Apple or Google will provide the software.

Trick is updating the firmware when needed such as an operating system upgrade by Apple or Android. Again easy for Subaru as Apple and Android provide it.

All Subaru has to do is put out an upgrade.

Toyota sent all owners a USB drive and when an update came out, you'd go on online and it updated the USB drive, you plugged it into the car and there was an "Update" item on the "Tools" menu on the car.

The work is so minimal on Subaru's part, criminally bad customer service if they don't do it. It would put me off buying another Subaru.

While I tinker with roms on my phone and such 90% of the Subaru buyers aren't going to go deal with a USB drive to update this sort of thing.

Subaru would pretty much have to charge for it (to recoup costs) while cars are mostly software now outside of Tesla none of the other manufacturers have taken to doing regular software updates, I think this is something that will become more pronounced as time goes on, but I think 2015 is probably still a bit early for it.

Honestly while it seems simple, with software its never quite as simple as it seems.

Honestly while it seems simple, with software its never quite as simple as it seems.

Quoted for truth. Anything is simple for the person who doesn't have to do the work himself.

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

While I tinker with roms on my phone and such 90% of the Subaru buyers aren't going to go deal with a USB drive to update this sort of thing.

100% of phone users "tinker" with ROM every time there is an operating system update which is fairly frequently. You may not have realized you were doing it or how easy it is to do.

Toyota updated its internet interface apps via this method. Kind of plug and play and the 2015 Subaru has the same USB setup.

If anyone ever used a USB drive on their home computer, they can use one on their car computer.

Mirrorlink, on its website, notes that being able to update Mirrorlink on the car this way is part of how the software works.

If folks have trouble with it, they can always ask their kids to do it for them.

You guys all make good points. However, if subaru wants to sell more cars (legacy) to families and compete in the midsize category, they'll have to keep up with competitors regarding technology in the infotainment systems as well. If another company offered a car with mirror link or apple CarPlay or whatever it is, I'd be more inclined to buy it over a subaru. There are a lot of reasons I bought my legacy, and I like it. But, it would sway me away from subaru if they don't keep up.

I guess we need to take some action to make it happen! Car been out 8months with a useless option that tied to a bit older than 3yrs old GS3 device. Rediculous!!!

16' Legacy Mods: 55w HID + XB35 5500k, LEDS upgrades, XB Type T Fog, 20mm SB.

Custom Footwell Illiminate Kit; http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/15-legacy-outback-footwell-illumination-kit-237567.html

I guess we need to take some action to make it happen! Car been out 8months with a useless option that tied to a bit older than 3yrs old GS3 device. Rediculous!!!

Second that...I'll have this car three years and I want CarPlay. I got rid of my Treo and got my first iPhone when my Escape Hybrid would not work with the Treo and iPhone would.

Phone/Car interface is a BIG DEAL. Apple and Google are investing billions in it for that reason.

There is NO REASON we cannot have CarPlay or Auto on our current 2015 Subaru's. An easy to do update from Subaru.

Probably the way to approach it is via Apple and Google, have them do a campaign to sign up Subaru owners asking for CarPlay or Auto. Like the cable channels do when Comcast won't carry them.

Honestly I would still rather just have a mounting place for my phone them some hacked together shitty car software through Subaru that is running Android Auto or CarPlay.

If you don't think that the early systems are going to be underpowered and filled with bloatware you haven't been watching the cell phone market.

I think we will eventually get to a good place but knowing the car industry it will probably be 10 years out.

Supposedly Apple actually has a Car in the works, and tesla is bringing quick responsive design to cars but they are fighting uphill battles against one of the most notoriously slow and stupid industries with more money then sense.

Honestly I would still rather just have a mounting place for my phone them some hacked together shitty car software through Subaru that is running Android Auto or CarPlay..

If it runs AutoPlay (the new Google/Apple merger app), that's all we care about. AutoPlay takes over at that point and we know that's a killer app.

It also needs to run 100% from Bluetooth vs. having to plug in the phone via USB. Though the car audio guy told me music will be much higher quality via the plug in.

Google Maps or iMap are key. There will be an explosion of killer apps that will show all kinds of car functions, engine graphics showing piston firing with colors for amount of fuel injected.

You will definitely need Subaru's Eyesight to survive the eye candy of AutoPlay apps.

Archived