LegacyGT.com

Mirrorlink

Guest rayms69

According to this article, a good number of peoples with S5+ model got it to work. After reading it i went out to my car and tested with my new S7 edge, first mirror link said connected on the phone and the screen on the phone locked out for safety, mirrorlink will remain grayout on the HUD untill you loaded atleast one or two mirrorlink certified apps. In my case i load spotify and aupeo! Mirrorlink still gray out. Then i download the 3rd app Glympse, and reconnect Mirrorlink appear to work. So i guess before with the HTC M8 i was able to get to that step but didn't download enough apps for mirrorlink to recognize by the HUD and gave up. http://www.autoautomobile.net/2016-subaru-legacy-outback-mirrorlink-issues-t22.html so, make sure you download atleast three mirrorlink certified apps then try connect via USB.http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/16/03/15/4ca33fd2d3f3a6ef0a891bf348e3a3bc.jpg

Now we got that solved, we'll need to see if we can get software developers to implement mirrorlink certify to other apps that we can have more freedom, as for the list of certified apps still not really a big deal until you able to control your phone and run any apps you like.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

16' Legacy Mods: 55w HID + XB35 5500k, LEDS upgrades, XB Type T Fog, 20mm SB.

Custom Footwell Illiminate Kit; http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/15-legacy-outback-footwell-illumination-kit-237567.html

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought Mirrorlink just mirrored your phone to the car.. I didnt think you had to use mirror link apps.. I tried looking for mirror link in the Google App Store and nothing popped up.. thats why i thought it might be discontinued

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

According to this article, a good number of peoples with S5+ model got it to work. After reading it i went out to my car and tested with my new S7 edge, first mirror link said connected on the phone and the screen on the phone locked out for safety, mirrorlink will remain grayout on the HUD untill you loaded atleast one or two mirrorlink certified apps. In my case i load spotify and aupeo! Mirrorlink still gray out. Then i download the 3rd app Glympse, and reconnect Mirrorlink appear to work. So i guess before with the HTC M8 i was able to get to that step but didn't download enough apps for mirrorlink to recognize by the HUD and gave up. http://www.autoautomobile.net/2016-subaru-legacy-outback-mirrorlink-issues-t22.html so, make sure you download atleast three mirrorlink certified apps then try connect via USB.http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/16/03/15/4ca33fd2d3f3a6ef0a891bf348e3a3bc.jpg

Now we got that solved, we'll need to see if we can get software developers to implement mirrorlink certify to other apps that we can have more freedom, as for the list of certified apps still not really a big deal until you able to control your phone and run any apps you like.

I suppose this works only with 2016 model and not 2015?

I suppose this works only with 2016 model and not 2015?

Right, for 2015 you'll only able to get a GS3 or older to get mirrorlink work.

Anyways, some discovery today. While on mirror link i able to see the side icon of the fb messenger that i current chat with my cousin. That icon show up in mirrorlink screen and i was able to tab it and use it normally. I guess if we can figure out how to create a shortcut icon to our favorite apps on the side like facebook messenger would works.

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/16/03/15/659c2c2a9002c523126b145ad1514021.jpg

Sent from Samsung S7 Edge.

16' Legacy Mods: 55w HID + XB35 5500k, LEDS upgrades, XB Type T Fog, 20mm SB.

Custom Footwell Illiminate Kit; http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/15-legacy-outback-footwell-illumination-kit-237567.html

I thought Mirrorlink just mirrored your phone to the car.. I didnt think you had to use mirror link apps.. I tried looking for mirror link in the Google App Store and nothing popped up.. thats why i thought it might be discontinued

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

You could do that exact approach when MirrorLink 1.0 was the in game with my Note II running Drivelink from the Google Store. I was able to " Mirror" Waze on the HU also Google Maps that lasted until upgraded to a Note IV

Laughing at Oneself and with Other is good for the Soul😆

Hopefully Google will bring in compliance Maps and Waze.

But I personally think it is useless for my needs since the Nav is plenty useful and running Waze at the same time gives me the added benefit.

Mirrorlink working on my Galaxy S7 Edge.

Mine is legacy premium 2.5i with eyesight rear x traffic but no Nav so if i purchase galaxy s 7 edge i will be able to full mirror my phone in head unit?

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

I have an s7 edge and it doesn't work with my 2015 Legacy although the 'your phone is connected to mirrorlink' thing pops up on my phone's display.

The facebook popover thing is really interesting...

I've got a 2016 but mirrorlink won't work with my Note 5.........

This has gotten increasingly frustrating.. Does the s7 have a different version?

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

It is the same release for Note and 7

Basically if the car does not have the chipset (hardware) it can't be upgraded simply by a software update. It appears that is the case with the Subaru. Probably why those with Android phones and Mirrorlink lost service when Android operating system upgraded. It's really stupid engineering and not very customer friendly. Kind of like if Apple or Android forced you to buy a new phone every time they upgraded the operating system.

Hopefully the ComputerWorld article was wrong and it can be upgraded but I'm doubtful on Apple CarPlay as it would be on the car now if it the car system could run it.

I'll wait six months for things to hash out. I get a new car every three years so paying $3K to upgrade head unit and sound system to get CarPlay is like not something I'd do vs. just making sure new car had it.

Car mfgs should just have a mount for iPadMini or a Samsung Galaxy. Those would be good for 5 years or more and could display all the car functions. You choose which system you want when you buy your car and you can switch systems if you change your phone.

Exactly they not supposed to force us to buy new device instead they need to update their application.

I've got a 2016 but mirrorlink won't work with my Note 5.........

This has gotten increasingly frustrating.. Does the s7 have a different version?

I just call subaru of america and asked them which device works with mirrorlink they answer me non at this time she said we are working on it and available in several devices very soon.

What would be the cheapest Android device be that would work with our 2016 Legacys? Have Unlimited data, ability to either create a hotspot or tether from my ios 9 iPhone 6? Preferably links on amazon please.

I guess non of the device work at this time as per subaru of america costomer service last week in phone call. I have seen a post that galaxy s 7 or edge work with combination of some other certified apps. I have seen samsung galaxy s 7 factory unlocked $599.99 in ebay.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

I'm becoming more convinced that even if Suburu does implement Mirrorlink 1.1 and it works with our phones, that most people would not be happy with it anyway. I just dont see the general support for it by apps (and not forthcoming either!) . These are the apps that can run with Mirrorlink 1.1 (from http://www.mirrorlink.com/apps0) : AUDIOTEKA AUPEO! BRINGGO GLYMPSE ICOYOTE MIROAMER NPR ONE WITH ROCKSCOUT ROCKSCOUT SPOTIFY WITH ROCKSCOUT SYGIC VANILLA MUSIC WITH ROCKSCOUT VOICE INFOS WITH ROCKSCOUT

Just to reiterate, Mirrorlink does NOT mirror EVERYTHING from you phone ... those in the past who saw this were using Mirrorlink 1.0 and partially implemented protocol from the manufacturer. Mirrorlink is imbedded in the Android releases so EVERY recent phone or older phones that have been updated cant use it.

I have not heard that it is even possible to root the phone and replace the version on the phone (of course its software so someone with talent and desire should be able to do it! :) )

I would not be surprised if something else like Android Auto takes over . Android Auto seems to be gaining more support for apps: https://play.google.com/store/apps/collection/promotion_3001303_android_auto_all?hl=en

This is all software. If Subaru had a decent software development staff they could add Android Auto or anything else they thought would be good. For that matter its incredible that it has taken so much time just to get Mirrorlink 1.1 up !!!

Subaru should be ashamed of themselves with their infotainment NonNav. Why bother providing a 7inch screen other than for the backup camera warranted by congress and to sell more navigation units. Pure revenue and little consideration. Complete Schunda!

:spin:

An infotainment system is not the reason to buy a Subaru and way too much emphasis on it. It works great for my needs especially hands free " Change station to 71, play bridge, jazz, call wife(BT), turn the temperatures up/down increase/decrease the fan. Nav works well if there has not been a lot of changes, love the interface between the tach and speedo. For me MirrorLink works well(Mirrors Waze) with the Note 2 but still a waste of my time and the Note 4 does everything A1 including play Amazon Prime Music, I might add.

Subaru should be ashamed of themselves with their infotainment NonNav. Why bother providing a 7inch screen other than for the backup camera warranted by congress and to sell more navigation units. Pure revenue and little consideration. Complete Schunda!

You do remember this is a 30k car? I think they have done great with their system. Much better than some of the other ones out there. Funny that younger complaining of a 7" screen. That is freaking luxury!! Why back in my day...

---

Agreed, Yea we are spoiled. All of us who own a 16 legacy. Now on my 4th and have more kit than I could of dreamed of when I bought my first right out of college in 2000. Loved my 2000 Legacy GT. 0 infotainment. Likewise with my beloved 2005 Legacy GT. O infotainment. Likewise with my previous ride, 2013 Legacy Premium. 0 infotainment

and now beyond spoiled with my 16 Legacy Premium. More than I would expect to be honest other than having a 7inch screen that doesn't do a whole lot of much. It looks nice- yet doesn't do to much out of the box...

My life would be complete if Subaru added Android Auto.. It's everything that our infotainment system isn't.

From the 2017 Impreza press release:

The roomier 2017 Impreza models also debut the brand's new design language and new driver-assist technology. Also new, multimedia features including standard Apple CarPlay™ and Android Auto™ and standard Near Field Communication connectivity debut on Impreza.

Makes ya wonder if other than the NFC our head units can't get a software update.. Bastards.

How about picking up a cheap nokia symbian phone that has mirror link, would that work on our 16's? came across a support page from sony making mention of mirror link compatible devices. It mentioned samsung and sony devices and Nokia symbian and got me wondering...although, wish there was a hack or tweak for my jailbroken iPhone 6 with att unlimited data. I would consider picking up a cheap nokia symbian device or cheap android to tether to my iPhone and slave over the other device for navigation apps like sygic ect...

From the 2017 Impreza press release:

The roomier 2017 Impreza models also debut the brand's new design language and new driver-assist technology. Also new, multimedia features including standard Apple CarPlay™ and Android Auto™ and standard Near Field Communication connectivity debut on Impreza.

Makes ya wonder if other than the NFC our head units can't get a software update.. Bastards.

Hmm. Thats actually good news I think. Like I said earlier ... its all software ... there is nothing that prevents any update from including Carplay and Android Auto. Maybe the reason the update is taking so long is because they are doing that. Hey I can be hopeful.

As for the earlier comments about all this not being important ... uhhh,

the reason I got a new car was to take advantage of the current technology and in particular, smart phone integration. This is the future and will only become more prevalent. Sure its not critical ... of course not. BUT I WANT IT :)

So, I installed and used the Rockscout app on my Galaxy S7 Edge, and then spent about 20 mins sitting in my car playing around using the mirrorlink. My initial impression was great, I can now use the nav screen to move through my Spotify playlists.

However this experience did not translate to a positive experience while driving as mirrorlink does not allow me to control using the steering wheel mounted controls. ( mute does work) This is in contrast to simply playing spotify via bluetooth where I'm able to sift through songs on my playlist. But in either case if I want to switch play lists I need to divert my attention and a hand from the road/wheel to either the nav screen or my phone.

Ideally mirrorlink would just mirror my phone and allow me to navigate via the mounted controls. In an interesting mishap, I did have FB messenger app up on my screen, which also was pulled on to my nav screen and was responsive to typing and sending messages.

I'm really just hoping we can add android auto/ apple play to our navs.

Archived