LegacyGT.com

Words cannot describe the awesome - Volume-3 (CLOSED)

SBT

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wait for it.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yv6jiqVmmSI]Cristina Ramos - Got Talent 2016 Opera Rock - Highway to hell - YouTube[/ame]

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Blue and Gold - still flows proudly through my veins. Miss the salt air, the wild-ride launches and recoveries, in all kinds of weather, and the sense of mission, and purpose.

Time-lapse, the day in the life of a Super Carrier.

http://www.techinsider.io/aircraft-carrier-time-lapse-supercarrier-navy-uss-stennis-2016-1

This is a modern nuclear weapon, the B61 bomb. The B61 is a variable yield bomb (0.3 to 340 kiloton yield in various versions and settings) designed for carriage by high-speed aircraft. It has a streamlined casing capable of withstanding supersonic flight speeds. The weapon is 11 ft 8 in (3.56 m) long, with a diameter of about 13 inches (33 cm). Basic weight is about 700 pounds (320 kg), although the weights of individual weapons may vary depending on version and fuse/retardation configuration.

th?&id=OIP.Mb7db43a137a084bcf70b905f4311f5beH0&w=300&h=187&c=0&pid=1.9&rs=0&p=0&r=0

And this is a 15 kiloton atomic bomb from WW2. Fat Man. Wish I could lose that much weight. It was so big it had to be carried by a four engine bomber, the B-29 (which actually cost more to develop than the cost of creating atomic weapons).

Fat_man.jpg

This is a modern nuclear weapon, the B61 bomb. The B61 is a variable yield bomb (0.3 to 340 kiloton yield in various versions and settings) designed for carriage by high-speed aircraft. It has a streamlined casing capable of withstanding supersonic flight speeds. The weapon is 11 ft 8 in (3.56 m) long, with a diameter of about 13 inches (33 cm). Basic weight is about 700 pounds (320 kg), although the weights of individual weapons may vary depending on version and fuse/retardation configuration.

th?&id=OIP.Mb7db43a137a084bcf70b905f4311f5beH0&w=300&h=187&c=0&pid=1.9&rs=0&p=0&r=0

And this is a 15 kiloton atomic bomb from WW2. Fat Man. Wish I could lose that much weight. It was so big it had to be carried by a four engine bomber, the B-29 (which actually cost more to develop than the cost of creating atomic weapons).

Fat_man.jpg

for contrast, fat man was almost 11 feet long and about 5 feet in diameter, weighed in at somewhere over 5 ton

F.O.D. walk?? (foreign object debris)

Yup. Soviet/Russian aircraft are meant to operate from crude airfields so when they taxi, most are designed to close the main intake and take air from the top of the top of the aircraft to avoid foreign objects.

why did the whole crew walk the deck as a group a couple of times?

F.O.D. walk?? (foreign object debris)

F.O.D walk-down. The crew scruitinizes and scours the deck, end-to-end, side-to-side, to ensure there's no unsecured (foreign) items (objects) or trash (debris) that could be ingested into a jet engine or spinning propeller and take-out that aircraft, or that could be picked-up and blasted into an unsuspecting crew member.

That 4.5 acre flight deck is some of the most dangerous real estate in the world. One wrong move and someone gets severely injured or killed, and/or aircraft and flight deck operations are compromised. And don't forget that you're dealing with live, lethal ammunition 24/7 which adds a whole other layer of complexity to these operations.

The 1967 flight deck fire on USS FORRESTAL was a real wake-up call for the Navy.

http://www.navsource.org/archives/02/cv-59/kf670729-02.gif

I was very lucky seeing one of the last cruse of Boron headed back to Edwards in the late 90's. That is a summer I will never forget as we also were witness to seeing 777 flight trials, B2, Stealth fighter, all of the current fighter jets and a shuttle landing.

The topper was for me was the SR-71 though. Low altitude slow glide plenty of time to see it in all it's glorious detail.

Fat Man. Wish I could lose that much weight. It was so big it had to be carried by a four engine bomber, the B-29

They got waaaaay bigger than that - in 1954, the MK 17 and 24 tipped the scales at 21 tons (42,000 lbs! they were also 21 feet long and 5 feet in diameter) with a somewhat higher yield than Fat Man (between 15 and 20 MT - so 1000 times more boom!)

They got waaaaay bigger than that - in 1954, the MK 17 and 24 tipped the scales at 21 tons (42,000 lbs! they were also 21 feet long and 5 feet in diameter) with a somewhat higher yield than Fat Man (between 15 and 20 MT - so 1000 times more boom!)

And then there was the Soviet Tsar bomb. 50 megatons. 26 ft long, 7 ft diameter. 27 metric tons. The soviets estimated that the crew that dropped it in its only test had only a 50% chance of surviving the blast.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tsar_Bomba

Archived