LegacyGT.com

MY05-09 Legacy GT Common Issues

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Correct, you can not see the heads from the top.

From the bottom, look above the up pipe. Also check the turbo oil return hose. its rubber and very old by now. It goes into the back of that head.

I think most of my oil "consumtion" is coming from just a leaky return hose. Such a pain in the rear to deal with it without pulling the turbo and the motor out :lol:

05 LGT 16G 14psi 290whp/30mpg (SOLD)

12 OBP Stock 130whp/27mpg@87 Oct

00 G20t GT28r 10psi 250whp/36mpg

22 Ascent STOCK

I think most of my oil "consumtion" is coming from just a leaky return hose. Such a pain in the rear to deal with it without pulling the turbo and the motor out :lol:

I thought the same thing since I have quite a bit of oil under the car, but when I ran my hand along my oil return hose it was dry. I definitely have a pretty hefty leak somewhere.

Get under the car for a few minutes and look. I thought it was my head gasket at first, but then saw the oil trail go up to the rubber turbo drain hose, which told me it's leaking at the rubber and not at the turbo.

22 Ascent STOCK

Get under the car for a few minutes and look. I thought it was my head gasket at first, but then saw the oil trail go up to the rubber turbo drain hose, which told me it's leaking at the rubber and not at the turbo.

Will do. My transmission is out of the way so I should have plenty of room to look. Need to pull the flywheel and check the seals though- my clutch was saturated with oil when I pulled it. Definitely explains why it was slipping...

• 4 months later...

I wanted to post this up for future reference if anyone comes across this thread.

I was having issues with what I thought was power surging; being, when I hit the throttle the car would buck and then felt like it caught. Ultimately I thought that the bucking on acceleration was related to my tune, which I played around with a bit, datalogged my car extensively, and found no issue. Over the past few months, I developed a front end shimmy when applying the brakes, I figured this was either my control arms moving across my ruined LCA bushings, or that I may have glazed my rotors.

Eventually I got around to upgrading my LCA bushings with a Whiteline ALK, and WL horizontal bushings, along with new ball joints on my 110k mile LGT. Not only did this fix the brake shimmy issue, but to my surprise, it also fixed the bucking issue when applying the throttle.

My car is undeniably smoother, more precise, and has lost the front end dive and steering vagueness that it had previously. I didn't fully understand how much of a difference it makes with new bushings; kind of like putting a new chain on a bike. :p

TL;DR change your worn LCA bushings people.

• 5 months later...
  • 11 months later...

This is almost like a checklist of shit that has gone wrong on my 05:

-Turbo Failure

-Leaky Valve cover gasket

-Crank pulley exploded (while the wife was driving alone on the freeway no less)

-Both rear wheel bearings

-Passenger side CV boot vomited its grease everywhere.

-Consistent P2096 code, haven't replaced the 02 sensor yet but we'll see

-FSB end links failed

-LCA bushings were so shot I could wiggle them by hand.

Possible addition:

-Leaky PS pump (the infamous O-ring)

That infamous PS O-ring is claiming it's new victim. Do you guys have a size, or just go to dealer and not bother hunting for aftermarket ones.

Yeah info on this my LGT has the same issue as well as my Tribeca I rather do this while my motor is out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That infamous PS O-ring is claiming it's new victim. Do you guys have a size, or just go to dealer and not bother hunting for aftermarket ones.

Just go to the dealer. Subaru revised the O-ring material (you'll see the difference when you change it) and its made of sturdier stuff now.

Just FYI, the O-ring did not solve things for me. I just replaced the whole pump assembly with a new one 2 weeks ago. There was ATF all over the engine, inside the timing belt cover, etc, etc. What a foocken mess.

Just go to the dealer. Subaru revised the O-ring material (you'll see the difference when you change it) and its made of sturdier stuff now.

Sounds good, will stop by tomorrow.

Just FYI, the O-ring did not solve things for me. I just replaced the whole pump assembly with a new one 2 weeks ago. There was ATF all over the engine, inside the timing belt cover, etc, etc. What a foocken mess.

Mess and fire hazard, especially if you have a wrapped header.

Also ATF might be corrosive to timing belt, guess I should replace mine soon.

22 Ascent STOCK

Sounds good, will stop by tomorrow.

Mess and fire hazard, especially if you have a wrapped header.

Also ATF might be corrosive to timing belt, guess I should replace mine soon.

Fire hazard, and makes the engine bay smell as well as that hot/burnt smell when the car is running. On top of that, running low on fluid destroyed the PS pump, which is a pain in the ass to replace.

The ATF did not damage the timing belt at all that I could see, however it DID damage the rubber gasket that connects the 2 halves of the timing belt cover.

FWIW, the timing belt replacement is a piece of cake job using the vice-grip/wooden shim method to lock both driver's side cams in place. I can't believe shops charge over $1000 for it, with a little practice and a gopher/helper/spotter I could easily get it done in under 2 hours.

Got the Power Steering oring: 34439FG000

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t188/covertrussian/Cars/05%20LGT/Steering/PS%20Hose/20170223_182116.jpg

So far clean!

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t188/covertrussian/Cars/05%20LGT/Steering/PS%20Hose/20170224_082604.jpg

22 Ascent STOCK

Dude, you should see what's underneath on top of the block. I think I went through a full roll of shop towels, half a bottle degreaser and at least a dozen pairs of gloves cleaning it up...and without taking the intake manifold off its only about half clean.

Hope the O-ring fixes your leak completely! 2 weeks after the full pump swap there's no signs of leaks.

• 4 months later...
  • 10 months later...

Archived