LegacyGT.com

MY05-09 Legacy GT Common Issues

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Completely forgot about the crank pulley!

Crank Pulley Disintegration - The rubber/glue on the crank pulleys tends to stop holding and the two parts of the crank pulley separate. Usually destroys a few items while it's at it.

05 LGT 16G 14psi 290whp/30mpg (SOLD)

12 OBP Stock 130whp/27mpg@87 Oct

00 G20t GT28r 10psi 250whp/36mpg

22 Ascent STOCK

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
I don't know if it is just mine but when replacing O2 sensors our cars are picky about brand. I installed a bosch rear O2 sensor and it died within 2 months and then I put in a denso and it has been working without issue since.

2005 Vader Wagon

Material Tests on Ringland Failure Piston

I should have held off and purchased a wagon instead of the spec.B

• 2 months later...
The passenger side valve gasket, especially at the lower half moon seal, is prone to leaking due to the heat from the exhaust.

Added that to the list and included Covertrussian's repair walkthrough. Thanks!

Edit: Reworded things a bit and cleaned up the list too.

Another thing to add is the rear swaybar mounting brackets, they are very thin and tend to fail with aftermarket swaybars. Some have reported them breaking even with stock rear swaybars.

22 Ascent STOCK

Another thing to add is the rear swaybar mounting brackets, they are very thin and tend to fail with aftermarket swaybars. Some have reported them breaking even with stock rear swaybars.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AVO-Turboworld-Rear-Sway-Bar-Mount-Reinforcement-Kit-05-09-Legacy-GT-Outback-/301430597234

Recommended for anyone going with aftermarket rear swaybars.

Got it, thanks guys, I wasn't even aware of this until I looked into it, and it does seem common enough with beefier swaybars. I went down and checked mine, they seem fine, but i'll be replacing them when I get a new rear swaybar.

On a side note, our oil cooler gaskets seem to have a problem leaking, I've noticed a bit of a trend happening as these cars get up in age. (Includes the outback)

Is the valve cover gasket only a turbo issue? I thought I read that it was the downpipe causing the gasket to fail. I have an NA and trying to diagnose an oil leak. Seems to be right in that area on the passenger side. Oil everywhere, only drips when car is running and is in the vicinity of the oil filter. It's not the filter itself though.

Valve cover gaskets aren't only a turbo issue, but they seem far more pronounced on the turbo models for whatever reason. It could be because the turbo models have more engine bay heat, or it could be because the turbo guys seem more apt to join forums and post about these things; i'm not truly sure.

I'd be willing to bet that it's a valve cover gasket rather than a head gasket, head gaskets aren't too failure prone in the 05+ N/A or Turbo.

Head gaskets may manifest themselves in several ways though, i'd recommend getting a used oil analysis if you're worried about it, they'll be able to tell you if you have coolant in your oil, which generally happens with head gasket failure; but not always.

Most people say it's due to up pipe heat, but the driver side valve cover tends to leak often too. I personally blame the motor design, oil is just prone to pooling on top of the valve cover gaskets.

As for NA's, it seems like all EJ25's had head gasket issues until 2007ish. It's really a shame, it's hard for me to suggest non turbo's to people knowing that HG's will fail and 07+ is much more expensive.

22 Ascent STOCK

Up pipe, gotcha. Thanks all, hopefully it's not too bad either way. I am going to have it checked at a shop.

I assume head gasket is more lethal than a valve cover gasket leak, I don't think I can bring it to a shop right away though. I am incorrect in assuming that if I top off the oil level, I can wait a bit to have the VC gasket replaced? We're a one family car and time it tight currently. Head gasket could be a different story.

Valve cover leak is not deadly, just annoying. Head gasket leak is not good at all. Check your coolant color and oil colors, with head gasket leaks oil and coolant can become contaminated, which is a sign somethings not good.

Valve cover gaskets are not hard to replace, just time intensive and annoying. I would wait until it's warmer to do it anyway (that way new sealant can dry better).

22 Ascent STOCK

Looks like a shopping list of preventative items to me... :p Glad I've already gotten started on it. Just going to keep working through each of these (hopefully before they fail catastrophically).

2015 Mustang Ecoboost Premium w/ PP (6MT)

2006 LGT Ltd 5MT OBP Cobb Short Throw Shifter | GS Catless Up Pipe Gone

Vacuum leak, usually you'll have a high A Range learning in LearningView.

Best way to see it is to take a flashlight and shine between the turbo and turbo inlet, you'll usually see some rips in it.

Here is what mine looked like from top

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t188/covertrussian/Cars/05%20LGT/Engine/Intake/Inlet%20-%20Stock/CIMG1261.jpg~original

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t188/covertrussian/Cars/05%20LGT/Engine/Intake/Inlet%20-%20Stock/CIMG1264.jpg~original

When I went to replace it it looked really bad

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t188/covertrussian/Cars/05%20LGT/Engine/Intake/Inlet%20-%20Stock/CIMG1427.jpg~original

22 Ascent STOCK

Archived