LegacyGT.com

MY05-09 Legacy GT Common Issues

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...
Has anyone found a solid remedy to the 2-3k shudder that this car experiences? or is this still a widespread problem? Debating adding that to the list here. I know tunes don't always work in fixing the problem.

As far as a replacement for the worm clamps, I recommend using a T-Bolt hose clamp. The worm clamp would allow the inlet to work its way off the turbo. I have had no issues with this since I have gone this route.

As far as the shudder goes, the issue went away with a tune when I had the VF-40. I have not experienced the shudder with the BNR-16G turbo.

On a factory setup a tune will fix 90% of the shudder, it comes from the the closed loop to open loop delay, aka keeps you lean in boost! Next 8% can be reduced with timing and fuel maps being smoother. Last 2% are just there because Subaru :lol:

05 LGT 16G 14psi 290whp/30mpg (SOLD)

12 OBP Stock 130whp/27mpg@87 Oct

00 G20t GT28r 10psi 250whp/36mpg

22 Ascent STOCK

Delicious oily blow by (air and oil mixture) from your PCV valve. Looks like it's stuck open and is probably cluttered with the milky stuff too.

Wash that out and wash out the PCV valve, replace if it doesn't easily move.

05 LGT 16G 14psi 290whp/30mpg (SOLD)

12 OBP Stock 130whp/27mpg@87 Oct

00 G20t GT28r 10psi 250whp/36mpg

22 Ascent STOCK

Honestly no car properly tuned should have a shudder or stutter at any time. It should be as smooth as butter through the rev range.

What year car do you have?

Yep, my Tuner fixed that issue years ago.

www.tuningalliance.com yep, he's that good.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Even diagnosed a new issue! Passenger valve cover is definitely leaking.

I meant to follow up on my post from a month or two ago. With the help from everyone here, I too was certain my passenger's side valve cover was leaking.

I brought it to two different shops and they both concluded it was the head gasket. No oil in the coolant, BOTH said its just an annoying issue and to make sure to be on top of keeping her topped off, zero harm to the engine.

One shop said they even recently fabricated a plate (for a Subaru) that they bolted on to divert the oil from dripping onto the exhaust to save the passengers from the smell of burning oil.

Now with 110k miles, summer heat coming, and the big timing belt/water pump maintenance up and coming we have to decide when we want to drop $2-$3k on the head gaskets and required maintenance, but for now she spits oil.

I meant to follow up on my post from a month or two ago. With the help from everyone here, I too was certain my passenger's side valve cover was leaking.

I brought it to two different shops and they both concluded it was the head gasket. No oil in the coolant, BOTH said its just an annoying issue and to make sure to be on top of keeping her topped off, zero harm to the engine.

One shop said they even recently fabricated a plate (for a Subaru) that they bolted on to divert the oil from dripping onto the exhaust to save the passengers from the smell of burning oil.

Now with 110k miles, summer heat coming, and the big timing belt/water pump maintenance up and coming we have to decide when we want to drop $2-$3k on the head gaskets and required maintenance, but for now she spits oil.

Were either shops Subaru shops? It seems unlikely that the head gasket would blow in a way causing oil to leak but not coolant or overheating issues.

Were either shops Subaru shops? It seems unlikely that the head gasket would blow in a way causing oil to leak but not coolant or overheating issues.

That is what happens most of the time since they re-designed the heads. The previous gen had the internal leak issue big time. Not Subaru shops but I have checked the coolant bottle and they all did as well and came to the same conclusion. Summer will tell if my coolant is compromised I guess. I'm going to flush soon as it needs it anyways.

That is what happens most of the time since they re-designed the heads. The previous gen had the internal leak issue big time. Not Subaru shops but I have checked the coolant bottle and they all did as well and came to the same conclusion. Summer will tell if my coolant is compromised I guess. I'm going to flush soon as it needs it anyways.

You need to get under the car with a good flash light. look up at the passenger side valve cover. See the joint where the VC meets the head, that's where most of these cars have the oil leak.

If you can wipe it down and check it again in a few day's. A VC gasket is a lot less money than a HG.

I think I put a picture of my VC leak in my click here link. I think the pictures start in post #26.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

You need to get under the car with a good flash light. look up at the passenger side valve cover. See the joint where the VC meets the head, that's where most of these cars have the oil leak.

If you can wipe it down and check it again in a few day's. A VC gasket is a lot less money than a HG.

I think I put a picture of my VC leak in my click here link. I think the pictures start in post #26.

The first shop we brought it to, he put it up on a lift and I went under with him and a flashlight. The valve cover was completely dry. If the leak is on the top side, then I couldn't see it from underneath. I'm not really sure what else to do. The first shop I liked better, he recommended coming back on a warm dry day (when there wasn't snow on the ground) and they would clean it up and take it for a highway ride then put it back on the lift to ensure it wasn't the valve cover.

Just looked at your pics, thanks. Yeah I'll take another look under there soon. Its very hard to see and now I know what a VC leak looks like, but I don't think I can see the heads leaking from the top?

Just looked at your pics, thanks. Yeah I'll take another look under there soon. Its very hard to see and now I know what a VC leak looks like, but I don't think I can see the heads leaking from the top?

Correct, you can not see the heads from the top.

From the bottom, look above the up pipe. Also check the turbo oil return hose. its rubber and very old by now. It goes into the back of that head.

Archived