LegacyGT.com

Anyone Interested in An Aftermarket Exhaust

Are you interested in a aftermarket exhaust?  

200 members have voted

1. 1. Are you interested in a aftermarket exhaust?

so i got good new and bad news. First the Nameless axle backs fits just the stock muffler does, but the flange to attach to the mid pipe doesn't match up 100% its about half a bolt off. I did get the 3.6 mid pipe so it attaches to that just fine. i ran out of daylight today so i didn't install the mid pipe. Also i can't believe i didn't check or notice this but on the 2.5's there are no hangers welded to the body on the passenger side, not the end of the world but i will need to get them welded on to make the mid pipe and pass muffler work

• Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

so i got good new and bad news. First the Nameless axle backs fits just the stock muffler does, but the flange to attach to the mid pipe doesn't match up 100% its about half a bolt off. I did get the 3.6 mid pipe so it attaches to that just fine. i ran out of daylight today so i didn't install the mid pipe. Also i can't believe i didn't check or notice this but on the 2.5's there are no hangers welded to the body on the passenger side, not the end of the world but i will need to get them welded on to make the mid pipe and pass muffler work

Nice find; I figured that their weren't any hangers welded on the passenger side but wasn't able to get under a 2.5 to take a look.

Can you confirm for the 2.5 guys however that the Nameless axle back does mount up on just the driver side at the pipe?

Nice find; I figured that their weren't any hangers welded on the passenger side but wasn't able to get under a 2.5 to take a look.

Can you confirm for the 2.5 guys however that the Nameless axle back does mount up on just the driver side at the pipe?

it does... kinda, the holes on the flange on the nameless is about 1/4" closer together then then the sixth gen 2.5 exhaust. Also the stock muffler to mid pipe uses a circle O ring style gasket so the stock flanges are made to adapt that type of gasket. The nameless exhaust uses a standard 2 bolt gasket. I used a smaller bolt on the tips just to mock up the tailpipe, it worked but the exhaust leaks at the connection. even with the nameless 2 bolt gasket. Since i bought a 3.6 mid pipe i double checked and the flanges match up perfect on the nameless to the OEM mid pipe. i haven't installed my mid pipe yet and wont be able to until Wednesday so im not sure how the 3.6 mid pipe will work but by the looks of it, its fine, just need to weld two hangers on the passenger side for the muffler hangers.

it does... kinda, the holes on the flange on the nameless is about 1/4" closer together then then the sixth gen 2.5 exhaust. Also the stock muffler to mid pipe uses a circle O ring style gasket so the stock flanges are made to adapt that type of gasket. The nameless exhaust uses a standard 2 bolt gasket. I used a smaller bolt on the tips just to mock up the tailpipe, it worked but the exhaust leaks at the connection. even with the nameless 2 bolt gasket. Since i bought a 3.6 mid pipe i double checked and the flanges match up perfect on the nameless to the OEM mid pipe. i haven't installed my mid pipe yet and wont be able to until Wednesday so im not sure how the 3.6 mid pipe will work but by the looks of it, its fine, just need to weld two hangers on the passenger side for the muffler hangers.

Ok so basically to summarize it looks like on the 3.6 mid pipe the nameless axle back will work fine where as with the 2.5 it requires some modifications gasket and bolt wise correct?

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

Follow me on Instagram @CT2015Legacy

as i stated earlier in this tread there are no hanger welded under the car for the extra muffler. there is also a heat shield missing and the under plastics by where the right side pipe would go need to be removed and the correct one installed. plastics are not in the picture of the exhaust.

your prayers will be answered today. i'm meeting another member today and pick up a 3.6 mid pipe and nameless axle backs and will install them as soon as i get home. i'd say around 6 or 7 EST i can update

Not to burst your bubble, but as I posted earlier in this tread I tried to use a 3.6 mid-pipe & y-pipe on my 5th Gen 2.5 to convert to dual exahusts and found that the mid pipe needed to be cut/modified to fit as the length was different. Not sure if this is going to be the same issue with the 6th Gen Legacy but figured it was worth mentioning.

I ended up holding out until I could find a used 5th Gen Legacy GT exhaust and I only used the Y-pipe since the 2.5i mid-pipe had an additional cat or something related to the pzev system.

Edited by Picky1

I'd like to put a fake exhaust pipe were the cut out is just to make the car look symmetrical. Has anyone taken off the cutout and rigged up an extra Subaru factory pipe there?

OMG! I truly cant believe you just said that! A FAKE dual exhaust! That's a new low in this community. :mad:

OMG! I truly cant believe you just said that! A FAKE dual exhaust! That's a new low in this community.

You do realize that factory dual exhausts are strictly cosmetic. Factory single or dual exhaust systems provide the same level of silencing and exhaust back pressure for the same engine.

Subaru puts that exhaust cut out on the rear bumper. It's a vacuum that needs to be filled.

You do realize that factory dual exhausts are strictly cosmetic. Factory single or dual exhaust systems provide the same level of silencing and exhaust back pressure for the same engine.

Subaru puts that exhaust cut out on the rear bumper. It's a vacuum that needs to be filled.

Yeah, I understand all of that. Just please make it functional. If its not an actual pipe connected to the engine then its akin to those stick on fender vents that riddle the ghettos and barrios.

Yeah, I understand all of that. Just please make it functional. If its not an actual pipe connected to the engine then its akin to those stick on fender vents that riddle the ghettos and barrios.

Another connected exhaust pipe would not be functional as exhaust is currently at optimal specs.

The car isn't symmetrical and the cut out calls attention to it.

Probably a Subaru parts set for hanging the right side tailpipe.

Fake duel exhaust *face palm* I'm not detoured just because people say a few things don't fit, I'll order the correct parts and make everything work. Cutting and welding an exhaust has to be one of the easiest things to do on a car. When i get back home tomorrow I'll start back up on my car and get the 3.6 exhaust in, made a block off plate for the passenger side tip, mock up the new tips and weld hangers in. I'll post pictures of how it's going and any mods that need to be done.

Chuckle...all dual exhausts are "for aesthetic purposes" (there's no flow dynamics need for them) and are just done for the...ta da...personal preference.

ftfy! :lol:

"Fake" is what you want to do, which is stick a piece of pipe in the other bumper cutout and connect it to nothing, pretending that it has a purpose.

Dual exhaust is not necessary, but does have a purpose, and its purpose is to carry exhaust gasses. It is certainly not "fake".

Edited by GTEASER

Chuckle...all dual exhausts are "fake" ... and are just done for the...ta da...APPEARANCE.

I dispute your assertion of "all." For ordinary street use, maybe. Otherwise, I suggest you try to locate, read, and understand a copy of P.H. Smith's classic Scientific Design of Intake and Exhaust Systems. Or you could look at just about any multi-cylinder motorcycle ever made.

I do agree that there's no technical advantage to an X-into-2-into-1-into-2 arrangement.

Edited by ammcinnis

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

Yup, all those V-configured engines with true dual exhausts (IE one manifold per cylinder bank with no crossovers) are fake.

Every single one of them.

I could suck start a snow blower.

LOOK AT ALL THE THINGS THAT DON'T EXIST

http://www.350z-tech.com/forums/attachments/performance/43027d1209074775-fs-hks-true-dual-exhaust-crawford-hfc-aam-2-5-tp-s-stock-parts-hks_true_dual_2.jpg

http://www.z1auto.com/Images/hks01.jpg

http://g35driver.com/forums/attachments/engine-exhaust/152589d1344752153-hks-true-dual-exhaust-real-dscn0689.jpg

http://www.mustangevolution.com/forum/attachments/20723d1244488137-untitled.jpg

http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w291/lpe403/Car%20Build/exhaust1.jpg

http://www.injen.com/galleries/products/SES1986C_floating.jpg

http://www.andysautosport.com/images/stainless_works/08f150hdror.jpg

I could suck start a snow blower.