LegacyGT.com

Anyone Interested in An Aftermarket Exhaust

Are you interested in a aftermarket exhaust?  

200 members have voted

1. 1. Are you interested in a aftermarket exhaust?

• Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've had it on the highway plenty now. It's certainly inoffensive there; you hear it faintly when the car is at 2k-2.5k rpm, which is where I tend to be for most of my drive.

Still wish I could hear my engine wind up; now, I only hear the exhaust instead where I would have been hearing the engine.

Love the sound when the car starts. Turn the key and hello, this is not the same car that rolled off the lot the day I bought it. Deep sound.

Below 2k rpm, it's a low not-quite-drone. I could do without it. That said, you can hear it but it's not loud per se. You won't be pissing off your neighbors for sure.

I need to tweak the lateral position somehow. It's lined up reasonably well in the bumper but does not squarely exit.

I think it will change over time; I don't know how long or in what way, maybe someone with experience with aftermarket exhausts could chime in.

I can't make any direct comment on the Nameless system as I have a custom set-up with aftermarket sports mufflers, however the system will quieten down a bit once it fills up with soot on the inside. The layer of soot will dampen the sound a little as it builds up over time.

The system I have is maybe not quite as loud as I still get to hear the engine as well as an exhaust note so it's relatively "balanced". Low RPMs (1,000-1,500) can be a bit louder as it sounds like there's some sort of resonance effect taking place. This is usually when I slow down from a higher speed and the "gear" doesn't change - engine RPM just follows the road speed down.

This is relatively easy to rectify by changing to S mode from I - this issue only ever happens in I mode as S will not let the revs drop this low. I know a lot of you guys don't have SI drive but you could probably hit the paddle shifter and get the same result.

Despite a different system that is exactly my experience - when I operate in Manual mode, I don't get those low lugging RPMs, where I get the same sound effect you do; to that end it's far more enjoyable.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
http://i68.tinypic.com/14kfd4h.jpg

Nameless 5 inch axleback for the 2.5i installed. I will add comments here as thoughts come to mind.

Right now I've only driven it around town on ten minute trips. The real test for me is on the highway, which it will see tomorrow.

The unit is light, and the stock muffler is heavy. Right away I know that while this is billed as the "quietest" option, it's still not going to hold a candle to stock; it will be louder; just a question of how and where.

First crank of the ignition and my thought is "whoa". You definitely know its there. Same thing around town. It's not obnoxious or coffee can sounding at all; you just can hear it there in the background. It's always like "hey, don't forget about me, I'm on here".

I don't feel like the flanges met up very well. There is a flange gasket and nuts/bolts supplied, but the nuts were an absolute bear to turn. And there may very well be a hole, as I noticed condensation leaking from the connection. Not much I can do about that at the moment.

It does look good. I wish it were just a hair smaller, but then again, I'm coming from a 2.5i with an exhaust pipe that looked like a drinking straw.

The 2.5 does make plenty of noise on its own and the exhaust complements that, so now there's a kind of symphony of sound happening. I also have snow tires on already, and they're not the quietest things, so I have that to add to the mix.

Does it drone ? thats my main concern.

Nice work!

I tried to find a set-up off a Gen5 Legacy to do the same thing before going with a custom set-up.

The only concern that I'd have is how close the tips are to the plastic cut-out. If these get hot they may melt/damage the plastic/paint. I'd be keeping an eye on this as I think Grnlantern1 had some issues with his Invidia exhaust and how close the tips were to the body.

The hard thing is the cut-outs are really suited to a larger single exit rather than the quad tips. Not sure if you're up to modifying the rear bumper....

Edited by tigger73

Nice work!

I tried to find a set-up off a Gen5 Legacy to do the same thing before going with a custom set-up.

The only concern that I'd have is how close the tips are to the plastic cut-out. If these get hot they may melt/damage the plastic/paint. I'd be keeping an eye on this as I think Grnlantern1 had some issues with his Invidia exhaust and how close the tips were to the body.

The hard thing is the cut-outs are really suited to a larger single exit rather than the quad tips. Not sure if you're up to modifying the rear bumper....

They havent gotten hot enough to melt anything yet i have been watching them.

No difference in power or MPG unless you get it tuned.

There's possibly a slightly different exhaust note but those rear mufflers still look pretty decent size so I'm guessing it's similar noise to stock.

No difference that i noticed

They haven't gotten hot enough to melt anything yet i have been watching them.

Yes if it's just normal day to day driving you'll probably be fine. If you do a lot of WOT / hills runs / track days you might run into trouble.

It's really nice to see someone else doing something interesting with their car. For $150 and a bit of time in a workshop on a hoist it's a great improvement.

The only problem I had with my exhaust upgrade was it made my car look faster than it actually was :lol::spin:

Wow that sounds mean, did the mid pipe get rid of the cat?

No the cat is still there the wrx catback has no resonator thats why its so throaty and crackles i like it sounds mean but i might look into getting a 3.6 mid pipe that has a resonator as the wife doesn't like loud exhaust shes told me it sounds like a race car lol.

• 2 weeks later...