LegacyGT.com

RooTBeeR's Cheapo Slow Poke "Build" Thread

I have used the gates kits with water pumps for years now, Hondas, Subarus, mazdas. Never had one fail yet.

I'm in the same boat (without the mazdas). My only issue was the casting on the gates pump on my wife's outback sport; it was so rough in spots the pump didn't fit properly without modification.

• Replies 590
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On your heads.....make sure and have the new one decked too if you have the used one decked so they're the same or you'll be fighting different compression ratios between banks and that's not good (ask me how I know this-not on Subaru's but on V8's from yesteryear) for tuning or driveability because, especially in our case, two will run leaner than the other two.

In the racing world, the old saying is "If you really want to make a set of heads run worse than they did, port them yourself" and I have to tell you that this is an absolutely true statement. Unless you are doing everything else to support the PNP on the intake side (cams, valves, injectors, cam degreeing) you are wasting your time and going to make it harder to tune correctly. If you have a shop do it, at least (if they're worth a shit) all of them will be the same, but without previous experience (read YEARS), you can easily ruin the heads beyond repair. Besides, the more you open everything up, the less driveability you have. If you get lucky and everything is even but you open it all up, say, .020" total in all of the runners (which is not much-about the thickness of 6-7 sheets of paper), you will run into combustion chamber issues unless you do the same to the exhaust. At that point, without the supporting mods, you're worse off than you are if you stay stock.

As for the water pump myth, I put the Gates on my build and have absolutely not one worry that it will fail. One thing I can promise you is that thousands and thousands and thousands and thousands of the Gates water pumps have been installed with no issue whatsoever. I have one on my 1997 OB wagon that's been on there for about 110K (290K total on it right now) and when I do a timing belt on it in the next few weeks, it will have another Gates pump put on it. The one thing I can guarantee without an fear of contradiction is that Gates has the pumps built to the exact same specifications that Subaru has them built to and most likely buys them from the same supplier, so while anyone's new part can fail, dealerships and repair garages and most DIY are NOT worrying about putting on a new Gates water pump when they purchase it.

Good luck Dude. ;)

I dont want the heads ported. the VF40 already cant outflow the stock heads/cams. so that would just hurt my power band.

If i can gather some $$$ I'll probably just give my heads+parts to outfront or infamous to put together so i dont have tot worry about any of it.

and yes, if i do anything to the used head, i'd get it done to the new one also.

Also, please remember that unless you plan on 500+whp, you DO NOT need the blue Gates timing belt (which you'll never see anyhow). Its a waste of money. get the regular kit, save $100.

;)

i'll be lucky to make 300 at the wheels lol so i already was saving myself the $100 and knew i didnt need that.

"Build" Thread <--Link

(OLD) '05 EJ255 now a '13 EJ257 Bottom End w/D25 heads (NEW)

Forever Slow

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Rootbeer, do you know much about stock D25 heads, people's experiences with them, or how much power they can take reliably? I also went with basically brand new stock D25 heads (50 miles on them). Hope I made a fair choice.

my biggest reason was that my old heads were junk, and

D25's were the easiest/cheapest way to bump up my compression.

they have a smaller yet more hemispherical combustion chamber. Less surface area while maximizing volume.

d25's have smaller ports/runners which will keep velocity higher at lower rpm. the trade off that is losing volume/flow/cfm at higher rpm.

also, this is my daily driver. I do 99% city/stoplight driving. So i wanted as much low end torque/power as i could get. which the higher CR and smaller runners should help with by providing more off boost power until the tiny turbo spools.

I dont do any 100+ highway pulls so i really dont need the top end power, and im fine with it dropping off after say 5500 rpm if that's what happens.

as far as peoples experience with them, im not sure, i know a lot of the wrx guys are making over 300awhp with them.

"Build" Thread <--Link

Forever Slow

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Good to know. My car's a daily driver too, I'm glad I went with these over B25 heads. My engine builder said these heads gave me an 8.9:1 CR. Over my first 50 miles, my car does feel more peppy on the low end from what I've felt with no boost.

did you tune for it? because 8.2-8.9 is a big jump and might cause knock even under light loads i imagine.

its really all preference though.

If you plan on huge numbers, youre better off with high boost/low CR.

If you plan on just decent power and a something peppy more like an autocross setup, higher CR/low boost would be more ideal.

for pump gas though, i wouldnt want to go higher than 9.2-9.5:1.

i should be at 8.77:1, i wanted 9:1 though

...maybe for the next rebuild, a 2.6L stroker with 9:1 CR and a vf52. only because a 3.6L would be a huge pain in thee arse and i'd never pass smog with it. haha i wonder how bad my MPG would get with one of those :lol:

"Build" Thread <--Link

Forever Slow

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I had close to 9:1 on my 1st gen frankenmotor -- EJ20g with 22t heads, so it bumped up the CR. Enough so, that, I was able to hear audible det at stock boost levels. Err, I think we may have bumped it up to 10ish psi, but still, <10psi and det = bad bad bad.

Somehow, I'm glad I let that car go, though, I wish I still had it. 'Twas peppy as f*ck. LWFW/Exedy clutch , 4.11s, rear LSD -- I was Porsche territory 0-60 for less than 5k all-in. :cool:

• 5 weeks later...
lol.. 3 week delay again??

I'm still acquiring paychecks before I can order more parts.

Ha! Only three weeks?

lol no kidding

RootBeer- If you need those bolts ASAP PM me..

I dont, but I'll keep that in mind.

"Build" Thread <--Link

Forever Slow

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I hear you both about the wallet stretch. I had all the parts for the SB to get put together then the winter car (01 forester) went and smashed a plug outta the head, but at 240k cant really complain other than bad timing. So had to take the block building money and buy a used engine. Hoping to have that together this week, b/c the LGT is starting to run a little worse as I drive it, I can even start to hear the exhaust note change, damn ringlands and valves!

Archived