LegacyGT.com

Extreme Turbo Systems: Exhaust Manifold W/ External Wastegate

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Go read the thread. Killer B made an adapter for aftermarket turbos. Screw the stock turbo. Someone in Virginia needs to drop their car off so Killer B can get a cast of the LGT exhaust manifold turbo flange.

They already said they wouldn't make one for the LGT not enough sales potential, I read the whole thread and that is in there on the first page I believe. I was just curious what the FA turbo flows compared to the vf54. If you are waiting for them to make one for our cars keep waiting...

I have read that twin scroll turbos flow more air in higher rpm, so would this not be the case with the stock fa turbo over our vf-54? We would need a turbo upgrade along with the manifold then.

Typically the TS version of any turbo will spool better but do less on top compared to the SS model. Something to do housing geometry. The WRX falls down at high revs even on the little FA20. It will die even earlier on an EJ255. Just FYI, JDM BR9 models got a twinscroll version of the VF-54.

Sent from a device using some software.

Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

Typically the TS version of any turbo will spool better but do less on top compared to the SS model. Something to do housing geometry. The WRX falls down at high revs even on the little FA20. It will die even earlier on an EJ255. Just FYI, JDM BR9 models got a twinscroll version of the VF-54.

You are just full of awesome information, I am assuming there is a JDM manifold to accompany that turbo as well any idea if the flange is an oddball like the USDM one? Maybe it could be paired with a better TS turbo.

I was curious because some of the dyno graphs I seen it seemed like the FA 20 kept building power even in the higher rpms. But again it's not like I read those graphs for a living so maybe I am not seeing something or seeing something that is not there.

Haha. Mostly I'm just full of shit mate ;)

Remember the header is already TS, so the flange is the same, JDM turbo bolts right up. Next time I see it I'll post a photo.

Boost falls off to about 1bar on the WRX at redline, though VE is pretty good and we usually see peak power around 6k on the dyno.

Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

I'm pretty sure it's only the housing that's different.

Go read the thread. Killer B made an adapter for aftermarket turbos. Screw the stock turbo. Someone in Virginia needs to drop their car off so Killer B can get a cast of the LGT exhaust manifold turbo flange.

I'm close to them and asked them about this. They have no interest in making LGT parts. I can't blame them; it would be a poor business decision.

Would they be willing to make a one off?

Very doubtful. That's asking them to incur the R&D costs with only one sale. It's a pretty small operation. I know it consists of Chris (the owner/engineer), a team of a few production welders, and they just recently hired an office assistant.

Killer B makes very high quality parts that are well thought out. Their prices reflect that so I can't imagine what they would have to charge to break even on a one-off turbo adapter.

It's important to note that the FA headers would not be compatible on any EJ car. The exhaust ports are spaced differently so it's not like a 2015+ WRX header would work on a 5th gen LGT without some serious modification.

It's important to note that the FA headers would not be compatible on any EJ car. The exhaust ports are spaced differently so it's not like a 2015+ WRX header would work on a 5th gen LGT without some serious modification.

It would be interesting to compare the differences.

That's a negative as already stated a few times here and once in the thread on nasioc...however if what Fahrside says is true ,and I am sure it is, our manifold has the separate passages for a twin scroll turbo already so we would just need a turbo with the correct flange and which would be an upgrade from what we already have.

I think there is a missing piece of logic to the marketability of this part...if it will fit our cars it will also fit the STI with some modificatiaons to the car, but it would fit the engine and all the prior ej25 engines. That is a potentially large market.

I think there is a missing piece of logic to the marketability of this part...if it will fit our cars it will also fit the STI with some modificatiaons to the car, but it would fit the engine and all the prior ej25 engines. That is a potentially large market.

Turbo selection for EJ STI and WRX is nearly limitless with rotated kits currently on the market. Not many are going to be able to justify the additional cost for a gain in turbo spool only.

Killer B made a low mount turbo kit WRX and STI. I'm not even sure it ever went to market. Subframes and compatibility of all the intake/intercooler piping create other issues between our car and other EJs.

Turbo selection for EJ STI and WRX is nearly limitless with rotated kits currently on the market. Not many are going to be able to justify the additional cost for a gain in turbo spool only.

Killer B made a low mount turbo kit WRX and STI. I'm not even sure it ever went to market. Subframes and compatibility of all the intake/intercooler piping create other issues between our car and other EJs.

I get that part of it but there is a reason for the new low mount. It works better. It just takes finding a space for it instead of relying on subarus stock compromise of a space in the older ejs.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

It looks like it does have separate passages, but they don't stay that way all the way to the turbo. http://www.ebay.com/itm/2010-Up-Subaru-Legacy-GT-Exhaust-Header-OEM-/252091535221?hash=item3ab1d38f75:g:cX0AAOSwFnFV9uco&vxp=mtr

That mark across the flange is the shape of the inlet on the stock VF-54 flange. You're looking at a used header.

That's a negative as already stated a few times here and once in the thread on nasioc...however if what Fahrside says is true ,and I am sure it is, our manifold has the separate passages for a twin scroll turbo already so we would just need a turbo with the correct flange and which would be an upgrade from what we already have.

The big issue, and it's been stated a few times, is the lack of an ownership base in the US. A few hundred cars is not a market, it's a liability. I've seen a few attempts at a header, some with bigger primaries and some with an EWG. None of them broke the 330~335whp barrier* and I think that's down to the P18 exhaust housing on the stock turbo which (sadly) has that unique flange. We went through all these considerations when deciding on 400whp for a target and the only possibilities were either going back (in an evolutionary sense) to the STi location or a complete custom header and different turbo frame. Here's the thread for any pole-squatters: http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=241754

*Granted, all these cars were on the wimpy stock exhaust cams. More might be possible with the GRB stock or aftermarket cams, but I doubt it's a whole lot more.

So really any flange adapter or new manifold would have to be aimed at an international market with shipping to the USA. That stinks, but it isn't like the stock turbo has been holding back too many people on here. Plenty of power to be made with it.

So really any flange adapter or new manifold would have to be aimed at an international market with shipping to the USA. That stinks, but it isn't like the stock turbo has been holding back too many people on here. Plenty of power to be made with it.

Stock housing is pretty limiting even with upgraded rotating assembly but mainly on the turbine side. EWG manifold really smooths out the power band all across the board.

Stock housing is pretty limiting even with upgraded rotating assembly but mainly on the turbine side. EWG manifold really smooths out the power band all across the board.

Yes, that's the sticking point. We mocked up a TD06SL2 wheel in there and the geometry was horrible. The next hybrid we make will have a 9-blade TD05H unit I'm now running on my GH8, in case that helps any. The truly power-hungry will have to go custom, as we did.

Remember the header is already TS, so the flange is the same, JDM turbo bolts right up. Next time I see it I'll post a photo.

Sorry, I was wrong on these. We dug the turbo out and it was off a WRX or SJ9... Honeywell made in China.

• 1 month later...

Archived