LegacyGT.com

Water in Passenger Footwell

jdanhires

I still need to get to the source of the problem. Mine is not covered under Subaru's warranty anymore...i have almost 50K on my car. So i told them I'd fix it myself, just haven't gotten around to pulling things apart. It might wait until the spring, since i don't use the A/C anymore.

As a quick and dirty solution, i think i might just increase the drain tube size. I figure this will allow the water to drain out faster than it can fill the tray and overflow into the car.

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 8 months later...
2008 bump. 68k mi and this just started for me. interestingly I had to replace my blower motor. got real pissed about that and wrote to SOA and they refunded me the $$. pretty cool. what sucks is that this was probably the culprit and they didn't even check it out. crap.

• 2 months later...

I just found this thread before I went to the dealer this morning. It's always nice to have an idea of the problem before heading in.

I'm at 50k miles and this just started for me yesterday. I had the same problem as most which was the clogged AC drain hose. The dealer knew exactly what it was the second I mentioned it and they had me out of there in under an hour. They said it was not covered under warranty but only charged me $29 for labor so I wasn't going to make an issue out of it.

Hopefully, the water won't return although I'll be keeping an eye out for it daily.

Been over a year since my car had this problem and it only happened that once.

For future reference, in post #114 of this thread I linked to another thread with some pictures I took of the hose location.

I know keep a medium sized bag of dessicant in the passenger side door pocket to absorb any extra moisture in the car. 2 years and 45k miles, the car still smells like new! :)

I think this is happening to me now - 45k miles so no warranty :( . BuruLGT - what dealer did you go to?? And what color is your LGT, I'm the red wagon buzzing around Newton :)

I have the extended warranty but I was told it still wasn't covered. For what it ended up costing, I wasn't going to question why it wasn't covered. I was just happy to be in and out quickly with the problem taken care of.

I went to Metrowest Subaru in Natick which is where I bought the car. I've been going there for routine maintenance as it's most convenient for me and I prefer to bring it there while the car is still under warranty. Some people have had bad experiences there but they've been pretty good to me so far. This was the first problem I've had with the car in 3 years.

The only other local option is Cityside Subaru in Belmont but I've heard their service department leaves a lot to be desired.

My LGT is red although I'm not around Newton all that much anymore since I just moved to Brighton.

Well.. I'm stumped. I think its coming in from outside, not from the AC. I ran the AC on full tilt for a while and found no drips inside, and noticed that it was draining just fine underneath the car.

I am guessing the water is coming in through a clogged drain.. after the stupid amounts of rain we've been getting here..

Buru - thx for the info! I had bad sales experiences in Natick so won't go there - Cityside has been pretty decent for me so far.. though its only been oil changes. Will see if they can help me..

• 8 months later...

reviving this - found water in my passenger side footwell on a weekend trip out of town.

exact same thing happened to my wife's civic - pollen / tree debris got into the inlet hole in the windshield cowl area and clogged the tube, preventing drainage.

i think i see the outlet of the tube (way down near the down-pipe) - but it seems like the only way to get at it is from underneath. i don't have ramps, and even if i jacked the car up, not sure what i'd do with the tube when i got there.

any advice? thinking of just stopping by a random service garage in newton on my commute in and asking if they can clear out the tube with a compressor...

I just had the same problem in my '08 yesterday. Had to remove the front carpet and dry the pad with a hair dryer. Traced out the hose, no kinks. Blew air through it and at first it hit an obstruction. Second blast went through clean. Lots of water dripped out of my blower housing. What a pain in the ass! This never happened in my '05. Now it happened in my '08. Guess Subaru never came up with a legitimate fix. If it happens again I am going to the dealership, raising hell and demanding new carpet. F-in spiders my ass. Lazy engineers is more like it!

FAAAAACK!

It happened again. This time it soaked my wifes feet! I just cleaned up the mess 2 days ago and now it is back. This time the water is coming out slightly rusty colored. Great.

Called the dealership and they want me to leave the car for 2 days. No F-in way. I'm going to try and drop it off tomorrow, but they cant have it overnight. I'll flash my rom every day if I have to, but they don't get to F with my car. I already told them I want new carpet and a new blower motor.

Most of the water is coming out of the blower housing. I have not even used the A/C in 2 weeks. Its been raining for a good week now and I have been using the fan and outside air to keep the fog down. Maybe the outside air louver is scooping water?

Whatever it is, I am pissed and it couldn't have happened at a worse time with a 3000 mile move 2 weeks away.

Most of the water is coming out of the blower housing. I have not even used the A/C in 2 weeks. Its been raining for a good week now and I have been using the fan and outside air to keep the fog down. Maybe the outside air louver is scooping water?

Yeah i've always felt mine was worse when it was raining out, coincidence i think not!!! However, i think i've been leak free for a year now...fingers crossed.

OK. Dried up the mess again.

Raining hard again today so I turn on the defogger/foot setting with outside air. Drive to the dealership and by the time I get there, water is dripping out of the dash and the blower is gurgling on water with left hand turns. No A/C used.

I get SO MUCH SHIT at Ramsey yes I said Ramsey Subaru that I am going to have to start a whole new thread just to vent!

So, far the stealership does not know where the water is coming from. They removed the entire interior and dash and moved the car into the wash bay to try and find the source of the leak. They insinuated that the car could have been in an accident and/or the windshield replaced. This being the possible cause. If this car was in an accident it was before I bought it NEW from the stealership that is now doing the "warranty" repair. What a crock of shit! Plus I gave them the car on Thursday and they are saying they might have it figured out by Monday (not repaired).

This is the first year I haven't had to blow the pollen things out of the A/C drain. Normally I get a wet carpet. I leave the windows down a bit during the day at work and it dry's up.

Used the a/c yesterday and notice a puddle on the ground so is working this year.

It's going to rain on fathers day, may be you should sit in your car all day and see if you can find the leak, just kidding...

Good luck in getting this fixed.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

^ I actually would, if I could. But the stealership still has the car. They are hoping to have a resolution plan by Monday. Arggggggghhhh! I've been driving the loaner Outback sport since Thursday. Cant wait to get my car back and I am really nervous about what is going to come back to me F-d up. Besides the car being a stage 2 w/IPT 5EAT, it also has extensive suspention work, brake upgrades and a rather involved custom stereo system. I am waiting to hear the "thats not OEM so we are not liable" story.

Oh yea, after they take it all apart and then they tell you it's not covered and hand you a $4000.00 repair bill.

I highly doubt that will happen. I'm sure that wouldn't stand up on Judge Judy.

I know how you must be feeling. I feel sick when the cars not right... try and have a good Fathers day. Hopefully it comes home Monday or Tuesday dry as a bone.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Got the car back last night.

The stealership found NO leaks and can not identify the source of the water. They are looking at me like I spilled it in the car or something. Not only that, but they did not even put the interior back together again. They offered to keep the car for 1 more day to put it back together (this once I was at the counter to pick up the car).

To top it off I dropped the car off clean and got it back FILTHY. They even went so far as to dump the contents of the in cabin filter all over the back seat. So after finding out what plastic peices were damaged and putting my dash back together (with some new ratles due to the damaged peices) washing my car and cleaning the intererior, I then got to reset my stereo because the techs were F-ing with it. The counter guy even mentioned the system when I was signing the paperwork.

End result;

4 days with the car at the dealership. Returned with damaged interior peices and dash rattles. Car needs a detail after the dealership had it. Stereo system F-d with in unknown ways. God knows what else they did to my car while they had it. AND NOTHING IS FIXED.

I'm supposed to watch it and bring it back if the problem persists.

Just like Wendy the Retard, "I FEEL LIKE BLOWING MY MIND UP!"

AVOID RAMSEY SUBARU LIKE AIDS!

WOW Did you just stop in to check or did they call and tell you to come pick it up ?

I don't know what makes dealers think it's ok to have your car for a few day's and then give it back looking like it was driven throught the Outback.

Well it's still raining around here so you should know in a couple of day's if it's still leaking.

WOW Did you just stop in to check or did they call and tell you to come pick it up ?

They called and said it was ready. So, I went to get it.

So far, I have found a few more issues since the return. Both tires on the passenger side were missing the valve stem caps. Hmmm, brand new wheels and tires fresh from the alignment shop and my stem caps are missing. Lo and behold both tires are running low on air. All tires were checked 1 day before being dropped off. Next, both front tires had the SAME two lug nuts finger tight. So 2 out of 5 lug nuts loose on both front wheels (same lug position on each wheel). Lugs were tightened to 95lbs 1 day prior to dropping it off. Then, my front brake rotor dust shields appeared to be bent by hand and both were rubbing the rotor face from the inside. Had to bend them back to stop the rubbing and damage to the rotors. Then there is the door ding on the passenger rear door. Never saw it before and the car was so dirty you couldnt see it when I picked it up. Only noticed it after the wash.

I now plan on doing a thorough inspection of everything this weekend.

Thanks for F-ing me over Ramsey Subaru. I am writing a letter of complaint to SOA, but don't expect any real resolution.

I had 1 keyed locking nut on each wheel. The key was in the trunk. Ramsey had the key. I now have 5 keyed locking nuts on each wheel.

Forgot to mention that they jacked up my RAM front netbook mount too. Had to remove it and re bend the pipe and re seat the set screws (which were loosened).

Oh yes...today the problem PERSISTED! Not only is the passenger footwell wet, but the drivers side is a little moist too. It was raining again today so I went to test. I used the A/C for about 15 minutes. Then shut it off and drove for 1 hour. No issues.

Parked for 1 hour on an incline with the nose facing up. Drove for 30 minutes with the windows down and the defogger on, then closed the windows and left the defogger on driving for 30 minutes more. Just before getting home I hear the blower gurgling on water. It is definitely coming from the evap area and filling the blower. Water is leaking from the evap and the blower. Ramsey service is closed, so I left a message for the service manager and I will bring the car in as soon as I can tomorrow.

I am going to puke. I can't friggin believe this sh*t.

Archived