LegacyGT.com

Water in Passenger Footwell

jdanhires

This must have been asked before, is the a/c drain hose plugged ?

It's on the firewall behind the turbo down low.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I blew it out myself twice. The stealership claims they blew it and the sunroof drains out. I am thinking something solid is in the pan. Blow out the tube and it moves. Water in the pan and it floats back over the hole and plugs it. Someone better open the damn thing and look inside. Then fix it and replace my carpet. I want the car back Saturday afternoon.

I'm really pissed, can you tell?

I didn't spend $30,000 for a car and $10,000 in stereo and performance upgrades to have it flood from the inside. Then have the stealership where I bought it tell me they cant figure it out, trash my car and give it back in pieces.

• 1 month later...
The dealer told me spiders can clog the lines too, I suppose with their webbing and eggs from the inside.

Someone mentioned their's a fitting that can be uncapped and connected to a compressor, for a nice blast of declogging air.

ha,ha I am Bill Kolb Subaru here in NY and that's the first thing the SA said to me, they are telling me it's not a warranty issue and going to charge me, i'll see what happens. I'm sitting here waiting right now for them to check it.

Yes, you can blow compressed air in the line to clean it out/unclog it.
[SIZE=1][URL="http://public.fotki.com/blackfang/"]Pics[/URL] [B]08 KawasakiZZR 600- exhaust and other mods 98 Camaro Z/28 HT- some mods......street/strip car 07 Legacy 2.5i- SPT exhaust...daily driver[/B][/SIZE]

Don't let those MFr's charge you. Not only did they not fix anything and damage my car, it happened again on my road trip from NY to CA. When I stopped to visit friends in Florida, I blew out the line again, shortened the hose by two inches, and put a slit in the end to make it splay out and stop any "clogging". Still happens, only with A/C on and in "fresh air" mode, with higher humidity.

Here in So Cal it hasn't happened yet. Deff. tied to the amount of condensation generated. Using recirc mode never have had an issue.

Friggin Subaru engineers!

Unfortunately this can happen with most vehicles, but you would expect a better design in the auto industry.
[SIZE=1][URL="http://public.fotki.com/blackfang/"]Pics[/URL] [B]08 KawasakiZZR 600- exhaust and other mods 98 Camaro Z/28 HT- some mods......street/strip car 07 Legacy 2.5i- SPT exhaust...daily driver[/B][/SIZE]

Today I am going to try "back flushing" the drip pan. I considered taking it all apart but holey crap is there a lot of stuff to take out before I can even see what to open up!

I'm going to hook a hose with a squeeze bottle up to the drain, then start filling until I feel that I have the pan pretty much filled, then squeeze the bottle a bunch of times, I hope I can dislodge and remove some solid debris that might move around in there and clog it up again.

Anyone have any other suggestions?:confused:

I'm just afraid that I'm going to put everything back together and it's going to happen again!

<br>

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a158/Troy25/0803091851a.jpg

<br>

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a158/Troy25/0803091852.jpg

<br>

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a158/Troy25/0803091851.jpg

Or a fix from the manufacturer on a known issue that first appeared on the '05 models. Subaru didn't even address the issue during manufacturing until late 2008, four years after production started.

That is funny. How I come have seen this problem on other cars that are NOT Subaru in addition to late model(06+) Subaru's then?

I am sure somebody has a good design, but this can't be labeled a Subaru flaw when other brands do the same thing:) You are right though, there should be a better design out there. I am sure somebody has done it.

Look at those photos. Its worse than Nightmare on Elm Street! Theres no excuse for that.

The drain line is poorly designed, placed, and sized. The slope is not even down hill all the way and there is no air trap. I have owned lots of cars in my life and the Legacy is the only one to flood on its own.

Look at those photos. Its worse than Nightmare on Elm Street! Theres no excuse for that.

The drain line is poorly designed, placed, and sized. The slope is not even down hill all the way and there is no air trap. I have owned lots of cars in my life and the Legacy is the only one to flood on its own.

The photos are moot regarding your claim. You are claiming Subaru's design flaw is the problem, yet many manufacturers have this very same design:lol: I have owned several cars and none of them including my horribly designed subie has flooded. I however, have seen some Subaru's, Kia's, Jeep/Dodge, Hyundai, Toyota, Ford, and some GM cars do it. What are the chances that that is the very same design and hose size? Unlikely.

I will also say, that this is not something you always see ell the time either. I can say I have personally seen 2 Subaru's in the past year with a drain hose that was clogged up.

Yeah some cases may be more severe than others. Infact, I haven't seen it as bad as the pictures and needless to say I have seen my fair share of cars.

I do agree that there could be a better way to design that. I am not doubting that. I am just coming at you with a different perspective instead of over reacting OMG!! Thats bad, and automatically claim it is Subaru's design flaw. That seems to be the norm nowadays. If you took everything from the internet, you would think we live in a world where everything built is a piece of shit:)

I understand. But I work in the HVAC field, and I took my entire dash and front interior apart to investigate. The hose has 4 x 90deg turns in it, thats a circle! It also runs at a slight uphill slope before it turns towards the passenger foot well. Then as it runs underneath the ECU shield it gets crimped by the metal shield. At the end Subaru claims spiders crawl up the end of the tube and nest, blocking it (I call BS). There are at least 3 major issues with the hose, Subaru released a tech bullitin on it and didn't change anything at the plant for 4 years.

This is a major issue, not a small annoyance.

I have owned Chevy's, Ford's, Toyota's, Nissan's, Honda's, and Subaru's. Only the Subaru's had this issue.

Not saying everything is crap. Just the water leaking into the blower compartment and all over the passenger footwell because the evap drain line gets easily plugged or air bound.

I like lots of other things about the car enough to have purchased three Leggys from '05-'09 (05 LGT, 08 LGT, 08 SpecB). I am a huge fan. Just really pissed about my front carpet and pad.

I understand your point and to an extend agree with you. It's only a circle if the turns are all in the same direction:D

However, out of the list of vehicles makes you posted...I have seen 4 out 6 of those leak. At some point or another they, regardless of make are prone to leak. They should be able to come up with a system to where it could be better designed.

Is there a way to get the box the drain tube connects to out without pulling apart the dash?

I just bought an '05 wagon from this forum and am experiencing the same thing. I blew the hose out and drove the car for 15 minutes with the carpet pulled back and notice that my condensation is dripping down from the side of the box, not from the hose itself. The hose is definitely draining condensation out as I can see it with the car running and up on ramps. The drips from mine drip on top of the carpet, not underneath where the hose runs under the ECU cover.

Never had a problem with my '04 FXT. Luckily, all my condensation has been on the carpet and not soaked into the rubber/foam underneath.

Thanks,

Frank

Frank,

The water tends to come out of the evap housing and the blower housing. Water can run on top of the carpet and underneath. I've had so much come out of the blower that it looked like a waterfall under the glove box (on top of the carpet).

You get to the blower by removing the glove box. The evap is reached by removing, at minimum, the glove box and lower dash assembly including the passenger left foot area. Best to get as much o the dash out of the way as possible.

If the hose is draining, wait a bit and see if the housing drains too. If you just opened the hose up, could take bit to get all the water out. Once the water makes its way out of the evap pan and into the duct work who knows how long it will take to find its way out. I ran the blower for a few days while driving and left the windows open at night to dry out. Try not using outside air with the AC as well. Seems to be the trick for me. Good Luck!

-Mike

Mike,

Thanks. I'll take the glovebox out and identify where it's coming out and go from there. It's definitely coming on top of the carpet and not underneath. I have the carpet pulled back and can see drips on top of the ECU cover and it's not wet anywhere else so it appears to be dripping from right above that cover straight down.

It's certainly humid here in MD so using outside air should multiply the problem. I'll use recirc and see how much it accumulates.

Thanks,

Frank

ok, so you can add another one to the list.. I really do like my Legacy, but its honestly been the biggest POS car I have ever owned.. I have even had Fords that didnt have half as many problems as my Legacy.

Just a side note, between myself, my brothers and my parents who buy cars new and keep them till they dont run anymore, including Chevys, Buicks, Oldsmobiles, Fords, Toyotas, and Mitsubishis between all of us, this is the first car I have ever seen that leaked water into the car.

Another member of our miserable club. Sorry to hear you are having issues too.

Yeah, its just dissapointing again and again basically. The longest my car has ever ran without any problems is maybe 6 months..

I started taking crap apart. Glove box out, carpet back. Took pictures for those to see what's going back there in mine anyway.

Pic 1 shows the drips on the ECU cover.

Pic 2 shows the lowest point where the drip is collecting and dripping down.

Pic 3 shows the box next to the condensation hose (between it and the blower) which simply covers the two coolant lines coming through the firewall.

Pic 3 shows where those lines go into the condensation box. You can see at the tip of the screwdriver. Subaru put some kind of crappy foam there in the attempt to seal it enough to drain down through the tube. Unfortunately with a 20 minute drive with AC on it appears that the condensation is either dripping down the wall of the box and making it's way out of that hole or it's collecting too quickly and I might have something stuck in the drain hole. I'm going to clean the drain hole again with compressed air and also try and seal that hole better after it dries with some RTV or something else.

I can't see how I have something lodged up there at the box drain but I also can't see how water would pool about an inch above the drain and makes it's way out of that hole.

Are you guys cleaning the box with air by blasting it up through the drain tube? I heard there's a port to clean it but I haven't found it.

Frank

1374161322_ecucover.jpg.7add30d1b7033ecaced0126e0bf80842.jpg

drip.jpg.531f115bdf7b21db2481121b29df1632.jpg

1469722850_behindthis.jpg.aa7b81f1c2148742f25a4781ad7fdf7b.jpg

1839681471_needssealant.jpg.eabfd38dc76d46ba764f273ae82eba62.jpg

Archived