LegacyGT.com

Water in Passenger Footwell

jdanhires

Final update:

Well, found the drain line. Got to the part that is outside, and couldn't feel any kinks or blockage. Going to bring it to the dealer on Monday morning and let them deal with the HVAC guts and line.

Doesn't appear to be a gasket issue, no water leakage after having the car sit in rain. A drop or two when moving, much more after the AC has been on for a while.

-B

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

wow, this is most disapointing to see, especially with such frequency. I'm going to be watching my footwells like a hawk now. Totally freaked out. I hope all works out well for everyone with this problem. Please keep us posted as to dealership findings and such.

Thanks for the thread!!

Just got back from the dealership..

They blamed my Boost Gauge for the leak.. Since the line is going through that gromet above the passenger foot well. I told them I dont believe thats it (I know its not) and want it looked at more.. So I have go back thursday when their "leak doctor" comes in. They said if they find its not my boost gauge line, its covered obviously, but if it is.. charges will apply..

I knew I should have shut the door on my cubby.. probably wouldnt have even saw it.. Cant believe I did that. Anyway, ill let you guys know how it goes thrusday... If it is covered under warranty, im going to demand a new carpet as I really dont want any funky smells developing.. my car still smells new (10K miles).. i want it to stay that way.

So do you guys think this is from rain.. or just from having the AC/Defroster on? I have been using the defroster alot lately.. its been rainy and with the windows shut my windshield fogs pretty easily.. so its been running non stop.. but on the other hand.. we just did get about 3-4 inches of rain over a 2 day period.. so Im not sure what is the true cause.

Not sure. What's set-up to drain the fresh air intake area near the hood/windshield? If there is debris in that drain area, I could see water backing up into the HVAC system...

Went ahead and started to try to work on the problem myself. Was not comfortable having to wait yet another day to have the dealer look at it.

I believe I cleared the plug in the drain line, just used some plastic piping and blew it out. Once I pulled the piping away, water started to run out of the drain line, and did so for 20 seconds.

Then pulled the carpet back (did yank the carpet loose from two staples, bleh) and started to ring out the large foam blocks attached to the carpet.

Soaked up the water and stuck a window fan against the glove box. Don't smell or see any signs of mildew, so I think I caught it in time.

Still bringing it to the dealer tomorrow to check out the HVAC system as well as get it on record that I had the problem.

-B

Hello. I am new to the forum and unfortunatly my first post has to be about this problem. We have been getting a lot of rain here in the East Coast over the past few days. I discovered the same problem on Saturday. The passanger footwell was soaked with water and i could see water leaking out from under the bottom left corner of the dash. I dropped off the car at the dealers today to have it taken care of, but the service desk is closed because of the holiday. They will only get to it tomorow. Unfortunately, I can already smell the water damage to the carpet. I will definately be pushing for a new carpet. This is very disapointing. Especially because the car still has less than 10k and used to smell brand new. Will keep you guys updated.

"Tech found A/C evaporator drain clogged. Cleaned out drain and rechecked. All O.K. Reinstalled carpet and trim"

Hmm, wonder if a fix will be in the works. Glad I tackled the carpet yesterday. Going to put window fan/dehumidifer back in when I get home from work. Not going to lift the carpet back up, was just damp not wet as of this morning.

If any smell does happen, will be back demanding a new carpet.

-B

I just spoke to the dealership. They said that they found the AC drain clogged also. They said that they shampooed teh carpet. I asked them how can I be sure that this will not happen again. They said that I should ask them to make sure that the drain is clean every time that I bring the car in for service. I am also demanding a new carpet. The carpet already started to smell and that smell will not get washed out. They will be getting back to me about that.

I park under trees!~ I went to the dealer this morning at 7:30 am... they looked at it and said they blew air in that drainage hose and nothing happened, which means there is probably a clog or kink... but they tried to blame wiring from my stereo through the firewall as what might be causing it... except I didn't run the wiring through the firewall... HA! So, they want me to come in and drop off my car for the day! What was the point of me going in at the ass-crack of dawn today!!! So they could look for reasons to blame the leak on me! They said that it is ahuge ordeal to take the dash apart, and there was a problem with some wiring from my stereo going under the dash... So after the being at the dealer today (waste of time) I re-ran the wiring that went under the glovebox (just some RCAs) and sopped up and cleaned as much of the floor and carpet as possible! I'm gonna need a new carpet... It's drenched!

Ahh this is turning into a major hassle!

I picked up my car this morning. Its been at the dealer's for two days. They replaced my carpet. They did a very good job. They will also be replacing my floor mats. I just need to call and make sure that they replaced the under lining of the carpet. They said that they were going to, but just need to be sure.

I just picked up my car also, here are their notes:

Cause: Chamber For Vent Leaking

23 Body/Trim/Glass - 99WSDRO (N/C)

27 Accessories - 99WSDRO (N/C)

Chamber for vent was leaking, resealed, vent now ok.

Not sure what all that means.. but doesnt sound like it was a drain problem.

I asked if they would order me a new carpet, they said it should dry out ok and shouldnt smell. I told them if I even get a slight odor or anything, they will replace the carpet. They said OK, we'll take care of that for you.

I dont know why he couldnt just say ok right now. So I figure something should start stinking soon. Im going to call Subaru anyway and tell them about the leak and what took place. Just to have them aware incase something comes up down the line.

Tomorrow I have to get a wet/dry vac and try n suck up as much water as possible. For now, im gonna stick a few towels in the foot well n try n sop up as much as possible.

The best is when I told them my car was leaking, and they blamed my boost gauge.. he also said, and I quote "These cars don't leak. Subarus do not leak." Funny how it turned out NOT to be my boost gauge install, but the car itself. I flippin hate dealerships!

What do they mean they don't leak. Funny how they don't know what really happens.

My last two GT's both had sun roof leaks. That's why I didn't buy a Limited this time.

This 05 has flooded the carpet, but I took my air compressor and blow out the A/C drain line. I can park the car with the windows down a bit so the carpet dried out fine with no smell.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Archived