LegacyGT.com

K&N Typhoon intake

052.5GT

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Okay I'm officially retarded!!!!!!

I had no idea that K&N had made an intake already for the LGT. I saw this thread title and I thought you guys were just adapting the WRX ones. Whoops :redface:

hehehe... sorry. The one I have and pictured above IS, in fact, a WRX intake.

Jeremy

There is just too much flamm'n going on. All he did was install a intake and he liked it. If he has a problem then we will hear about it.

I know that our intakes are good to about 280whp. I had a CAI in my WRX and had no problems and no tune. But with many mods a tune will always help.

+1

Okay I'm officially retarded!!!!!!

I had no idea that K&N had made an intake already for the LGT. I saw this thread title and I thought you guys were just adapting the WRX ones. Whoops :redface:

hehehe... sorry. The one I have and pictured above IS, in fact, a WRX intake.

Jeremy

You can thank me later! ;)

+1 on an intake adding a ton to the "soundtrack"! I just installed my Perrin short ram and that sucker it LOUD! There is some rumble, groul and intake honk, but the biggest thing is that it now sounds like Darth Vader with a jet engine up his a$$ is living under my hood :lol: Coming on and off boost is more than a little noticable. When you let off the throttle the bypass valve is almost as loud as a BOV.

My butt dyno is very poorly calibrated, so I don't feel a big difference. I think it pulls harder up top. However, at boost onset it feels a little flat, like timing is being pulled a little. Might be because it's running a tad leaner there now. I'm going to get retuned real soon anyways, so I'm sure that will be sorted out and I'll see what my setup will do.

i have to say, based on the comments here I thought it wd be a lot louder. if you are in a tunnel or driving past a wall, ok, very loud. and you can certainly hear that sucking sound, but it is not bad at all when cruising - this was very important to me bc otherwise it wd get real tiring on longer drives. love that bpv noise, but I wonder how audible it is unless you are in the cabin or standing right by the car...?
getting out of the legacy game :cool:

My butt dyno is very poorly calibrated, so I don't feel a big difference. I think it pulls harder up top. However, at boost onset it feels a little flat, like timing is being pulled a little. Might be because it's running a tad leaner there now. I'm going to get retuned real soon anyways, so I'm sure that will be sorted out and I'll see what my setup will do.

I'm still on the stock turbo (don't foresee a change, I'm pretty happy with my current power level) with UP/DP and an ECUTek custom map reflash, dyno tuned.

I, too, felt the slight low-end flat-spot you're talking about, bro, when I first installed my Perrin Short Ram. My butt-dyno is also very poorly calibrated, probably mainly as it's so well-insulated :lol: , but I definitely felt that little bit of what seemed to be hesitation when I stomped on her, down low.

However, at the same time - and I don't know if this was maybe just due to the increased intake-tract soundtrack making me perceive an increase that wasn't actually there - I also thought, as you did, that the car was breathing better up-high.

After my tune, though, this is no longer an issue, even though my powerband at < 2K pretty much remained at stock levels - but then again, my boost comes on much stronger now, and also at a lower RPM than it did, stock, so this shift in the powerband may be corrupting my perceptions somewhat.

i have to say, based on the comments here I thought it wd be a lot louder. if you are in a tunnel or driving past a wall, ok, very loud. and you can certainly hear that sucking sound, but it is not bad at all when cruising - this was very important to me bc otherwise it wd get real tiring on longer drives. love that bpv noise, but I wonder how audible it is unless you are in the cabin or standing right by the car...?

From my experience with the Perrin unit (sorry, no experience with the K&N), the aural change from stock is mostly inside-cabin.

Certainly, if you're in an enclosed area - such as your garage, a dyno bay, under an overpass, or in a tunnel - you will get much more sound around the exterior of the vehicle, and general passers-by may mistake our stock BPV for an aftermarket BOV that's tuned "soft," but overall, externally, this mod is nowhere near loud enough to attract "Ricer" attention, nor to make pedestrians pay your car any more attention than any other sedate sedan on the road. :)

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

Just a note of warning to all you guys who have done an intake mod; make sure you get a custom tune.

I have logs to prove that the knock correction becomes very negative, the AFR becomes too lean and the exhaust temps go waaaaaay up.

Mine was removed straight after taking the logs.

I didn't believe it either until I took the logs, I was wrong !

PhilT's unit is a Perrin Short Ram.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19523&page=2&pp=10 - starts with post #11, PhilT's.

Note that brother PhilT is also on AccessPort Stage I maps.

-----

Unknown if this will be the same story with the K&N Typhoon unit, however, at least one very well respected Evo tuner has reported *huge* inconsistencies, and many members have complained, too, about overall driveability issues.

Has anyone noticed issues with our LGTs on this intake? Our MAS setup is different from the Evo community's MAF, right?

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

Archived