LegacyGT.com

K&N Typhoon intake

052.5GT

Just a note of warning to all you guys who have done an intake mod; make sure you get a custom tune.

I have logs to prove that the knock correction becomes very negative, the AFR becomes too lean and the exhaust temps go waaaaaay up.

Mine was removed straight after taking the logs.

I didn't believe it either until I took the logs, I was wrong !

PhilT is 100% correct. We put on my Perrin after my stage 1 tune and didn't tune it right away. I got detonation and the advance multiplier went to .75 and then .5.

Custom tune is absolutely necessary with an intake.

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply
OK, here are the logs, both with AP stage 1, before and after fitting the intake. It seems to me like the MAF sensor is actually detecting less air flow with the intake fitted, which I can only attribute to the turbulence in the tube. This tricks the ECU into reducing the fuel quantity, thus becoming too lean and causing the high EGTs.

AP Stg1.pdf

Stg1 with intake.pdf

AP Stg1.pdf

Stg1 with intake.pdf

Ayup - agreed...but with special notes:

ECUTek is currently, by convention, considered "custom" as most are done via dyno/road-tune of the vehicle at the tuner's facility, per unique vehicle.

However, there are plenty of 'mail-in" ECUTek tunes available, too. These, of course, are with pre-set/"generic" maps. Both the Scooby as well as the Evo community have these services available to them, both from known and very well respected tuners. In these cases, you physically remove your ECU, and send it in to the tuner for a reflash (telling him what "Chinese menu" selection of mods you have on your vehicle), who then return the reflashed ECU to you.

Mainly, you're paying for the software license - plus, of course, dyno time in the case of true individual tunes. With "off the shelf" ECUTek, you're paying for development of the map, plus, of course, typically whatever "power package" that the map comes with (PDXTuning's packages are great examples of this). Mail-in maps are usually more affordable, too.

With the Cobb AccessPort, the maps that are downloaded from the Cobb Tuning page are considered "generic," off-the-shelf maps.

Custom maps, unique to the vehicle and its upgrades, are done either through StreetTuner or ProTuner.

Currently, there are also semi-custom maps from well-known, well-respected tuners (Harman Motive and PDXTuning comes to mind) - these would be equivalent of "mail-in" ECUTek maps. :)

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

^ Yes - but again, that's by consensus only. :)

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

:lol:

This will be most interesting indeed. To see what happens to a stock LGT w/ the intake. Just be careful, OK? I saw your reported AFRs/EGTs in the other post...don't damage anything just for our sake!

On a side note I wanted to mention my impressions on heat soak of the metal maf housing tube. The composite heatshield does a good job of not allowing too much engine heat to leak by, but the aluminium tube does not. When idling or after sitting in heavy traffic it gets HOT. I ended up wrapping the metal tube with aluminium duct shielding wrap with adhesive backing from home depot, does a great job of keeping the tube cool and has maintained its adhesion perfectly even with the extreme heat cycles placed upon it.

This will be most interesting indeed. To see what happens to a stock LGT w/ the intake. Just be careful, OK? I saw your reported AFRs/EGTs in the other post...don't damage anything just for our sake!

It's Ok, I figure that if every member on this site was to donate $5 then I could buy a new Spec B !

As long as you kick-back some of that love to me, my friend, I won't say a word about your little evil scheme! :lol:

So here's a question for all of you non K&N owners...

Any interest in a GB of this?

if there are 10 people interested, I happen to have a friend that can give us a very good price. Possibly in the neighborhood of 210-215... I already spoke to him but he expressed that at least 10 people would have to be insterested in order to bring the price down some.

"some say, his arms are made of coiled adamantium fibers. And that he tops his cereal with nuts and bolts. All we know is, he's called the Jose."

if 10 people were on it, it very well could be. if not, you would only be talking about a 5 dollar variation. AKA... $220 tops shipped anywhere in the 48

But I might be able to do 215 shipped

"some say, his arms are made of coiled adamantium fibers. And that he tops his cereal with nuts and bolts. All we know is, he's called the Jose."

Archived