LegacyGT.com

K&N Typhoon intake

052.5GT

K&N and other "low-restriction" filter manufacturers often claim 10 to 20 hp gains with their flters, but carfully done (controlled temperature-repeat measurement) dyno tests in reputable magazines such as GrassRoots Motorsports consistantly result in only 2 to 4.5 HP gains, if any, and that's typical on normally aspirated engines only. On a turbo engine (with a blow off valve limiting boost), although the very slight reduction in intake restriction will result in the turbo working a litle less (less absolute compression-thus less heat added), the difference is very small and slight differences in intercooler temperature will be more significant. Ultimately, the turbo will just spin a few rpm less with the "low restriction" filter at the same boost level.

Botton line: The only REAL way to tell is to do 3 or 4 dyno runs with careful control of the intake and intercooler temps. Seat-of-the-pants guestimates are rarely accurate, which is why true science always uses "double-blind" measuerments as well as independant duplication before any conclusions are drawn.

Even with all of the above, I do use dual K&N filters on my racecar-I like the intake sound with the K&N's!!

Heavy Metal Killed Beethoven

Support Classical Music

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jesus C#$#@ guys, there's a lot of angst in this posting.

Thought I'd join the fray because I had a K&N Typhoon intake installed along with my 20G. I think it looks bitchin. But the sound affect is something you really need to consider before buying this thing. It makes a very noticable SUCKING SOUND when the car is accelerating at any rate. Once you reach stable speed, there is no sound at all. But move the throttle and you get a vacuum cleaner affect. It is by far the most audible mod that I've made from the interior cabin perspective. And that includes my new Greddy EVO2 catback that is really loud too.

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a373/BOXRPWR/PICT0314.jpg

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a373/BOXRPWR/PICT0313.jpg

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a373/BOXRPWR/PICT0315.jpg

As for the MUCH debated question of power gains from an intake, all that I can say is it sure seemed to help. My 20G dynoed by Harmanmotive got 28 hp more than another 20G installed on a Legacy did. However, in the spirit of full disclosure, my LGT had a Perrin TMIC and a catless 3" TBE. The other LGT had the stock TMIC and stock CBE. However, Dan Harman clearly felt that the K&N intake was contributing to the improved performance.

Let the debate begin again!

Jesus C#$#@ guys, there's a lot of angst in this posting.

Thought I'd join the fray because I had a K&N Typhoon intake installed along with my 20G. I think it looks bitchin. But the sound affect is something you really need to consider before buying this thing. It makes a very noticable SUCKING SOUND when the car is accelerating at any rate. Once you reach stable speed, there is no sound at all. But move the throttle and you get a vacuum cleaner affect. It is by far the most audible mod that I've made from the interior cabin perspective. And that includes my new Greddy EVO2 catback that is really loud too.

As for the MUCH debated question of power gains from an intake, all that I can say is it sure seemed to help. My 20G dynoed by Harmanmotive got 28 hp more than another 20G installed on a Legacy did. However, in the spirit of full disclosure, my LGT had a Perrin TMIC and a catless 3" TBE. The other LGT had the stock TMIC and stock CBE. However, Dan Harman clearly felt that the K&N intake was contributing to the improved performance.

Let the debate begin again!

Pull the intake off and but stock back on....then see what ya get.

OBAMA......One Big Ass Mistake America!

Mor pics of Bandit!!!!

OK, here you go.......1981 TA 4spd. 3:73 posi 350 chevy 2-3/4" exhaust w/ cross over pipe & Flo-Masters. If anyone is interested, I'm putting it on Ebay soon.

DSC00516.JPG.e539b4e230a95b48efbf0dec8fcdfbc3.JPG

490263241_CopyofDSC00117.JPG.38442a6e7dffc8b3e729a0d4080bffae.JPG

DSC00518.JPG.d500140a50e4097bd76ad1c3200c8129.JPG

Fat people are hard to kidnap!!!

Mor pics of Bandit!!!!

did I miss something here?

seriously tho, I go back to my concern about how much air this things gets. can anyone straighten me out on this? air intake is squashed into a corner with a heat shield that undoubtedly deflects some of the air heading it's way. no wonder there is a giant vacuum cleaner sound if it is struggling for air.

(this is a completely unscientific analysis, please feel free to debunk it)

getting out of the legacy game :cool:

No, I think there's plenty of air flow for the K&N to breath. While it looks confined in that corner of the engine bay, that is where the stock air box sits. With the resonator removed, there is a big hole for air to flow in.

I would say that the confined space does probably act like an "amplifier" from a sound standpoint. By the way, either I'm crazy....or its gotten a lot quieter after about 100 miles.

OK, here you go.......1981 TA 4spd. 3:73 posi 350 chevy 2-3/4" exhaust w/ cross over pipe & Flo-Masters. If anyone is interested, I'm putting it on Ebay soon.

NICE!!!

I think I found my next restoration project!

And do that sucker EFI eith a crate engine. Mmmmmmm!:dm:

I am thinking about buying a K&N typhoon intake. I’m just afraid that it will sound like the last intake I bought for my 02 impreza rs its sound (I don’t know how else to explain it) ricey like a Honda just plain loud, droney and echos. I have to admit I like it for a little but took it off really within a couple of weeks. Could some one explain how it sounds a little better or post a sound clip?

NICE!!!

I think I found my next restoration project!

And do that sucker EFI eith a crate engine. Mmmmmmm!:dm:

I was planning to buy a Fast Burn 385 from GM but I bought the LGT instead. And I am NOT disappointed.:D

i cant believe i just read 9 pages of legacy intake argument and i dont even own the car yet, on the dodge forums i goto now, people work together with advice and support , here,,ya'll bash the shit outta each other with unsupportive info and smart ass comments....relax,, really some of you should get out more

i dont get it, why would k&n, a million dolar company with tons of research and development design and claim gains that dont exist....that would only hurt thier outstanding reputation.. so mabye its not a constant 13hp gain through the entire rpm range but im sure it peaks up there..

someone said earlier that the less restriction the less the turbo has to work to pull the air in...bingo....how does this not make since...

i also agree that the maf tube needs to be the same size for truly accurate readings.

but what i dont understand it the argument over weather the maf sensor can read the increased air flow......hello.....isnt that its job...if it cant read that there is more air comming in then its a piece of crap and not doing its job..

and finally....if less restriction is not better than why the hell is everyone buying panel filters....i know its not for the long term cost bennifits over paper....

so bottom line,,,,it looks better,,,,it sounds better,,,,bov(bpv) is louder ,,,, its less strain on your turbo and a power increase(some is better than none...right?)

so really whats the argument???????

just do what you want with your car,,, not everyone and afford to buy up/downpipes, turbo's, intercoolers or full stainless 3" exhaust...or mabye they just dont want to take thier warranty and flush it....

i cant believe i just read 9 pages of legacy intake argument and i dont even own the car yet, on the dodge forums i goto now, people work together with advice and support , here,,ya'll bash the shit outta each other with unsupportive info and smart ass comments....

Ain't it great! Welcome btw. :D

OBAMA......One Big Ass Mistake America!

i cant believe i just read 9 pages of legacy intake argument and i dont even own the car yet, on the dodge forums i goto now, people work together with advice and support , here,,ya'll bash the shit outta each other with unsupportive info and smart ass comments....relax,, really some of you should get out more

Welcome LDC, all the bashing and smart ass comments are just a small part of this forum. We are all friends here and it's all in fun. Everyone has different opinions on things. There is A LOT of great information here. I have gotten some fantastic tips here. It's like anything else, you won't agree with everyone all the time, so don't get the wrong impression. When you pick up your LGT post some pix and have fun with the car. :lol:

i dont get it, why would k&n, a million dolar company with tons of research and development design and claim gains that dont exist....that would only hurt thier outstanding reputation.. so mabye its not a constant 13hp gain through the entire rpm range but im sure it peaks up there..

someone said earlier that the less restriction the less the turbo has to work to pull the air in...bingo....how does this not make since...

i also agree that the maf tube needs to be the same size for truly accurate readings.

but what i dont understand it the argument over weather the maf sensor can read the increased air flow......hello.....isnt that its job...if it cant read that there is more air comming in then its a piece of crap and not doing its job..

and finally....if less restriction is not better than why the hell is everyone buying panel filters....i know its not for the long term cost bennifits over paper....

so bottom line,,,,it looks better,,,,it sounds better,,,,bov(bpv) is louder ,,,, its less strain on your turbo and a power increase(some is better than none...right?)

so really whats the argument???????

just do what you want with your car,,, not everyone and afford to buy up/downpipes, turbo's, intercoolers or full stainless 3" exhaust...or mabye they just dont want to take thier warranty and flush it....

AMEN!!!!!! :D

I had a K&N short ram when I had my WRX. I didn't have any problems that were noticable like cels, bad idle etc, only thing I notice was when you oil the filter becareful cause after a couple months of driving you'll start to see the oil residue in the intake tube if you over oil it. I figure that you just have to make sure you kept the MAF sensor clean. My friend had a generic brand intake and his car would throw cels and stutter all the time until he removed it. When I traded the REX, I sold him the intake and after he installed it there were no cels or stuttering problems. I think K&N makes good intakes, but if I was leaning the A/F ratio I wouldn't have known, did I lean it out probably not.

All flawed information. I still say they are bollucks!

By generalities I am making broad sweeping statments.

So you are trusting a butt duno (remember this guy just paid $ for the thing) & K&N propaganda. So sad how trusting you are.

I have a perrin short ram.

I have an ecutek tune.

With just a retune and uppipe, I went from about 204/204 to about 238/273.

Then we put on the intake and retuned. I put up 255/285.

There, now you can continue acting like you know what you're talking about.

Carry on.

Archived