LegacyGT.com

Official 3.6R Mod List

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes - its a complete PITA. I've tried four shops (including AZP) and they all gave up trying to install a CP.

Taking the stock one is easy enough, although there is almost no room to work with on the H6. But putting a new one on is a royal PITA.

However, a few months ago I found and purchased a great CP removal/install tool that consists of a chain wrapped in leather. I've tried looking for it now, can't find it online so I'll snap some pics when I can and try to find it again by manufacturer/name.

With this tool, it should be possible to secure the new pulley in place without lifting the engine and/or removing the radiator and whole front section of the car.

Oh the good ole vice grip with a chain. That works perfect for the CP. Usually wrap a towel or something around the CP before clamping this down.

Actually bought it for a head gasket project for my old 97 legacy gt like 6 years ago and it has definitely come in handy multiple times.

http://www.irwin.com/tools/locking-tools/the-original-locking-chain-clamp#

Almost forgot the whole reason I opened this thread.

Got to thinking today about the 3.6r since it had the 5eat there should be some sort of valve body mods available.

Sure enough here's a place that mods all 5eat valve bodies.

There is also threads on here for valve body mods but nothing mentioned newer models, maybe old threads its just what came up with a google.

Here's the link to the shop.

http://www.importperformancetrans.com/catalog/subaru-modified-valve-body/5eat-valve-body-modification-service-all-with-five-speed-automatic-click-here-if-you-cannot-find-a-shift-kit-for-your-wrx--subaru-5eat-1966.html

Ha wouldn't you know its in jersey too.

Edited by reeg420

Anyone have a cheap safe place to order the HKS funnel?

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/HKS-70999-AF001-Intake-Funnel-Subaru/dp/B00567A2EQ/ref=sr_1_sc_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1399601918&sr=8-1-spell&keywords=hks+gunnel]Amazon.com: HKS 70999-AF001 Air Intake Funnel for Subaru: Automotive[/ame]

Its coming my way!!!!!!

お問い合わせの件

Hello - Thank you for your message We can sell for you [s138 crank pulley]

1 piece, 1set is 15% discount

And fright cost is about USD30 / 1set

If 20-30 set order is more discount When 20-30 set order can color change Silver , red , black , orange , purple , and more... OK Please let me know your question Best regards

Great thing with this one is if I can confirm it fits and can be installed without much pain, it will fit 3.0R and 3.6Rs, across 4th gen, 5th gen, 6th gen, Tribeca and Outbacks too.

Capture.JPG.30e32235f89bf91e9df8cbcf0adcb26e.JPG

Oh the good ole vice grip with a chain. That works perfect for the CP. Usually wrap a towel or something around the CP before clamping this down.

Actually bought it for a head gasket project for my old 97 legacy gt like 6 years ago and it has definitely come in handy multiple times.

http://www.irwin.com/tools/locking-tools/the-original-locking-chain-clamp#

Almost forgot the whole reason I opened this thread.

Got to thinking today about the 3.6r since it had the 5eat there should be some sort of valve body mods available.

Sure enough here's a place that mods all 5eat valve bodies.

There is also threads on here for valve body mods but nothing mentioned newer models, maybe old threads its just what came up with a google.

Here's the link to the shop.

http://www.importperformancetrans.com/catalog/subaru-modified-valve-body/5eat-valve-body-modification-service-all-with-five-speed-automatic-click-here-if-you-cannot-find-a-shift-kit-for-your-wrx--subaru-5eat-1966.html

Ha wouldn't you know its in jersey too.

Thats almost exactly it - but the chain I got seems just a bit different, with the leather belt worked into it on one side and a locking mechanism built in too.

Good stuff, yep we know IPT and reach out to them a year or two ago.

They could do our Valve Bodies but needed to have it off the car and into the shop plus the cost was a bit up there. I passed, for now lol.

Thanks... I've been watching amazon but not exactly cheap for a piece of plastic :)

Did you google the part number?

"It's within spec" - SOA :rolleyes:

"Depth is only shallowness viewed from the side." - Fredism

"So, how much did it cost for your car to be undriveable :lol:." - Stephen (very close friend)

"You have done so much it would be stupid to go back." - Sunny of Guru Electronics

2018Q50RS | 2015WrxThread | Shrek

Its coming my way!!!!!!

お問い合わせの件

Hello - Thank you for your message We can sell for you [s138 crank pulley]

1 piece, 1set is 15% discount

And fright cost is about USD30 / 1set

If 20-30 set order is more discount When 20-30 set order can color change Silver , red , black , orange , purple , and more... OK Please let me know your question Best regards

Great thing with this one is if I can confirm it fits and can be installed without much pain, it will fit 3.0R and 3.6Rs, across 4th gen, 5th gen, 6th gen, Tribeca and Outbacks too.

I'll take a blue one if they fit with no issues.

Thanks... I've been watching amazon but not exactly cheap for a piece of plastic :)

http://thmotorsports.com/i-238434.aspx?gclid=CMai7N35nb4CFexZ7AodrXwAeQ

$100.99 including shipping, which is a little less than I paid for mine.

You could always take the stock milk jug and modify it (i.e. cut the bottom off), or just get some PVC tubing and jamb it in there.

You will make the most hp and tq using the afe pipe with a straight tube and a big a$$ AEM filter.

"So, how much did it cost for your car to be undriveable :lol:." - Stephen (very close friend)

"You have done so much it would be stupid to go back." - Sunny of Guru Electronics

Thats almost exactly it - but the chain I got seems just a bit different, with the leather belt worked into it on one side and a locking mechanism built in too.

Good stuff, yep we know IPT and reach out to them a year or two ago.

They could do our Valve Bodies but needed to have it off the car and into the shop plus the cost was a bit up there. I passed, for now lol.

I didn't think $700 was that bad. Some people spend more than that on just tires. More for the piece of mind especially if your mashing around an automatic. I guess a week without a car might be difficult for some.

That's cool you guys already knew though. I'm out of the 3.6 loop. Well actually I might haven't even been on the site yet.

The crankshaft pulley tool I got is called 'XtraTorq'.

Found a dead listing for it on eBay now:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/XTRATORQ-UNIVERSAL-CRANK-CRANKSHAFT-PULLEY-HOLDER-HOLDING-TOOL-27-5-LONG-/121314786951?nma=true&si=TbOkjqKO5RmyziBcXZ1YmMLF98A%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

When the LWCP comes in, I'll give this thing a shot for the re-install.

XtraTorq Universal Crankshaft Pulley Holding Tool

· Heavy Duty 27.5” Long Steel Chain

· Locks All Pulleys Up to 7.5” Diameter

· Will Not Slip or Damage Grooves

· Attached 1” Wide Natural Cowhide Band

· Fits All Domestic and Import Vehicles

· Includes 1/2” Drive Receiver

· Use with Your 1/2" Drive Wrench

· Use a Breaker Bar, Ratchet or Torque Wrench

(Please Note: This tool does not include a ½” drive wrench)

STOP Trying “Starter Bumps” that Damage the Ring Gear

STOP Jamming with Pry Bars that Slip and Strip the Gears

STOP Using Impact Wrenches and Guessing the Torque

I didn't think $700 was that bad. Some people spend more than that on just tires. More for the piece of mind especially if your mashing around an automatic. I guess a week without a car might be difficult for some.

That's cool you guys already knew though. I'm out of the 3.6 loop. Well actually I might haven't even been on the site yet.

Yes, its not bad at all but reading people's reviews I decided it would be too harsh for me. I'd love to send my valve body to the forum member/vendor from Texas who does the so-called 'F1 mod'. We exchanged a few PMs a while back and he's never done a 5th gen 5EAT. I might bite on the IPT offer in a year or two but for now, I just flush (partially flush) the ATF every second or third oil change and call it a day. All of the ATF is synthetic by now and the tranny is running great. No overheating, no jerkiness. Was going to install a cooler but put that off for now as well. I don't track or auto-x the car and usually only drive it on weekends.

420451475__57.thumb.jpg.ec6ef995abf783ea903ce21ad97566c2.jpg

1030078069__12.jpg.fb772180cad0ad96aec16afa2da867a4.jpg

1863308834__12a.jpg.be2ed5eca8b8ae0a1158ec76c4ff9039.jpg

Edited by Perscitus

Looks nice. Good find.

I also contemplated getting the AT upgrade and exchanged with the vendor. ATF fluid drained/filled at 10,000. Now at 13,500. Contemplating a drain/fill before or after track day June 1.

Why not just buy the correct crank pulley tool? http://www.jatmotorsports.com/subaru-crank-pulley-tool/

...or am I missing something?

Yeah, we tried that @ AZP Installs and no luck. Its easy enough to take the stock pulley off (with or without the Subaru tool) but to put a new one on (even stock) is nearly impossible on the H6. No room and little to any chance to 'make' room without removing the radiator, fans/shrouds, and potential even more sections of the front end.

Now, with this home-grown tool, it should be possible to hold the new pulley in place to torque down the crank bolt from either the bottom or the top along the engine. I'm going to wish for some children's hands when we do it, but should be able to pull it off.

LGT and 2.5i have much more room to work with up front.

Will do. I might have time to install this Thu or this coming weekend.

I've had LWCPs on two past cars and liked it on both.

You don't really gain any HP/TQ, at best release some that's already there and typically lost to the drivetrain losses 'blackbox' back to the torque converter and on to the wheels.

Improved throttle response throughout in any gear

The engine runs through the RPMs faster (both on the way up and down)

easier engine braking, easier/smoother 5EAT shifting

I don't expect anything else, but yes, will report back.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BathmypX5no]Light Crank Pulley on Yaris Before / After - YouTube[/ame]

It does appear to be more responsive in the video. I believe in the benefits as energy is not wasted in spinning up the pulley

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

^^^ I hope it appears in Perscitus' engine bay.

Install likely this Saturday or coming Tuesday (when we tune the 2015 WRX @ AMR).

I'm off Tuesday; What time? I may stop by. If you like hot dogs, we can go to Walter's less than a mile away.