LegacyGT.com

Takeda 3.6R Intake Review

Tim, have you asked Ed regarding yay/nay on this or any other intake for your 3.6R?

What's his take given the count of 3.0Rs and 3.6Rs he's tuned with all possible combos of stock/aftermarket intake, headers, exhaust setups. including intakes with that funky airbox chamber sold in Asia.

The Raptor intake sadly does not fit a 5th or 6th gen 3.6R and when we talked about it a few years ago, Raptor wasn't too interested in expanding their design to cover the newer engine.

With all the intake R&D work I've done on these cars, I would still vote to just keep the intake stock, milkjug resonator and all, even down to the air filtering element or at most, swap in a dry-element drop in.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tim, have you asked Ed regarding yay/nay on this or any other intake for your 3.6R?

What's his take given the count of 3.0Rs and 3.6Rs he's tuned with all possible combos of stock/aftermarket intake, headers, exhaust setups. including intakes with that funky airbox chamber sold in Asia.

The Raptor intake sadly does not fit a 5th or 6th gen 3.6R and when we talked about it a few years ago, Raptor wasn't too interested in expanding their design to cover the newer engine.

With all the intake R&D work I've done on these cars, I would still vote to just keep the intake stock, milkjug resonator and all, even down to the air filtering element or at most, swap in a dry-element drop in.

I have asked and he said gains were to be had but the amount, I don't think to be known. Most customers probably install the intake then do the tune. Someone (I won't say the name) had issues with their CAI causing them to bog down from from idle (I believe) and ended up just going back to the stock box. It may have been non-related to the Takeda.

As for 3.0R's with the intake, there are good gains to be had but it doesn't seem to help us as much. Given what Nadracer, Fredrik, and you yourself have found.

http://www.xtremeracingtuning.com/forum/download/file.php?id=1745

You may notice power and torque is down, low in the rev range and that was believed to be because the "torque box" portion of the intake was removed. So he's purchasing a Kakimoto chamber that connects to the throttle body.

The gains had with Raptor CAI are pretty impressive.

http://forum.liberty.asn.au/download/file.php?id=16109

As you said, I don't think they're worried about creating one for ours so it seems just the drop-in AEM for now is the best bet. I'll post back my 3rd Gear once it's installed for anyone that's interested. I'd assume it'll be just similar to what Fredrik seen but my car has shown good VE so I'm hoping for a bit more.

From what I understand there has been a lot of variances in these engines. Some good, some great, some not so great. I think this may be the reason why the CAI works great with the 3.0R (most have shown to have good VE) vs the 3.6R so the results are hit or miss.

http://i.imgur.com/nFkbBSy.png

Edited by Timothy.B

Perscitus got to see my car first hand with stock intake and exhaust with raptors and the cars are not far off. The sound from his setup is night and day deeper, and more "porsche-like" then mine, but power wise they are very similar.

• 3 weeks later...

You would need a tune. I would spend money on a catback exhaust first. Your first performance bottleneck is the exhaust system. After that you should see gains from the intake. I actually installed the AEM filter and although I thought I felt better gains, I may have been wrong. My AFR's had gone rich (meaning she's getting less air) and I'm a bit confused as to how an AEM filter flows worse than an OEM Subaru one. So I ordered a new OEM one and will do two gear pulls with both to see. Sometime this week. I had a faster run than before but it was also sub zero temps which may have been to why they "felt" better. Butt dyno's aren't always the most accurate.

As Perscitus stated, and I believe to be right, might be best to just leave the intake stock (even the air filter) and spend the money on other performance parts.

^^^ It isn't flowing worse. Your ECU has compensated, or rather, over-compensated for the additional flow.

Same thing happened when I installed a larger TB on my 3.6.

"It's within spec" - SOA :rolleyes:

"Depth is only shallowness viewed from the side." - Fredism

"So, how much did it cost for your car to be undriveable :lol:." - Stephen (very close friend)

"You have done so much it would be stupid to go back." - Sunny of Guru Electronics

2018Q50RS | 2015WrxThread | Shrek

Are you worried this intake might damage your engine in anyway? I am looking at this intake myself but am not sure if i want to pay for the part and the dyno/tune. Is a tune even completely necessary?

I'll sell you mine. It was only used for 6 months. Maybe put 5k miles on it.

• 2 weeks later...
^^^ It isn't flowing worse. Your ECU has compensated, or rather, over-compensated for the additional flow.

Same thing happened when I installed a larger TB on my 3.6.

So, returning for a follow-up. Seems you may have been right, Mr. Fredrik :rolleyes:

http://www.xtremeracingtuning.com/forum/download/file.php?id=1842

After leaning out she gained a bit. Moreso up top as shown in your dyno runs. Now, these are nothing accurate. The run with the new filter it was actually a bit warmer out. This just shows that it's definitely an increase.

• 3 years later...
Anyone know if this intake fits the 6th Generation? Their website indicates it's compatibility stops with the 5th but I'm not sure if that's by design or omission.

Better question for the 6th gen group, but its for the h6 and their motors are identical.

Be advised the stock airbox is already a CAI and its bigger, this actually can reduce flow.