LegacyGT.com

Takeda 3.6R Intake Review

Cool. Let's talk CBE now. It's my understanding that there are 3 options for us, all of which need slight modifications. Is it, Invidia N1, Q300 and Magnaflow in that order, from "best" to last?

4th option: Single out 2.5"

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2013-legacy-3-6r-intake-and-exhaust-dyno-not-tuned-218192.html

And, 4th option does not mean 4th best.

I wish we had before and after dynos for all these.

Cheers!

P.S. We are now officially thread-jacking

"It's within spec" - SOA :rolleyes:

"Depth is only shallowness viewed from the side." - Fredism

"So, how much did it cost for your car to be undriveable :lol:." - Stephen (very close friend)

"You have done so much it would be stupid to go back." - Sunny of Guru Electronics

2018Q50RS | 2015WrxThread | Shrek

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Look and sound preferance on all three, super minor nip n tuck needed on the mid pipe, just needs to be cut like 7 inches or so. Its also a good idea to add a resonator and or j pipe while here to combat the H6 drone. These CBEs were not designed with our engine in mind so they drone from a little to a lot.

a few poly exhaust hangers helped me eliminate a lot of the drone.

OK, so I called tech support and that is normal. Apparently the small hole draws in more air than a bigger hole. Hopefully this info will help anyone like myself that might be concerned by the small hole.

I remember a friend in high school had a short ram installed and he pinched the vacuume line and his car started leaking oil permanently. I don't want anything like that to happen to my new Rue.

Edited by stevenc1703

Glad you got your answer.

Your buddy likely pinched the vac line to the PCV valve, cutting off the engine's ability to vent under the pressure of crank rotation. This internal engine pressure likely caused various gaskets on the engine to leak.

...Apparently the small hole draws in more air than a bigger hole. Hopefully this info will help anyone like myself that might be concerned by the small hole...
Small holes are typically not a concern, in fact they are often preferred. Nothing like making those small holes bigger to accomodate wider shafts. :hide:

• 1 year later...

Time to bring this thread back from the dead!!!

I apologize if this is a dumb question and if it's been answered before but I can't seem to find a definitive answer. Is a tune absolutely necessary on a 3.6 after installing one of these intakes? I've done a bunch of googling and am getting answers for yes you should tune, and no you dont need to. grr...

The only other performance type mod I'm running are Perrin axlebacks. I don't plan on doing much else at this point in time since I have to start paying daycare bills next month. With that, I don't want to sacrifice the life of the engine if running a CAI without a tune will cause issues.

Thanks guys!

Three tuners I've worked with all said 'yes'.

Having access to all the SSM params now and seeing how different the MAF transfer function is with this vs stock and how many things that affects both directly (MAF and IAT readings) and indirectly (load and all tables/routines that make use of load) - I'd agree.

Will the car run without a re-tune? Sure.

Will it run well? Not really.

If I were to do it all over again, I'd skip the Intake all together.

Just do headers, header-back exhaust and stop there or spend any extra $$$ on internals, fresh sensors all around (MAF, MAP, both knock sensors, A/F sensors, O2 sensors).

I will chime in.

I had catback exhaust and takeda intake. It wasn't optimal without a tune, but didn't pose any threat of running lean. AF ratio was around 13 before tune as measured at the tailpipe.

The car made 9whp and 8wtq with takeda intake on top of the exhaust as baseline.

I gained a few more hp and about 9 wtq post tune.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4820576&postcount=78

"So, how much did it cost for your car to be undriveable :lol:." - Stephen (very close friend)

"You have done so much it would be stupid to go back." - Sunny of Guru Electronics

Running lean was the concern. I guess that stems from mostly only working on carbureted motorcycles, lol. Maybe ill keep a lookout for a used one since those seem to pop up on here. Thanks

Even when I threw the Boomba TB on there, the car compensated with more fuel. My logs, while on my old tune, showed that my AF was running richer than before.

I will give credit where credit is due @Perscitus...with all the logging and disecting and going way beyond what I could do.

That said, if I were to do it all over again, I would so the exhaust and intake and call it a day power-wise.

Tuning and dynos got very expensive and were not worth the time and money.

If you have a way of measuring your AF ratio at WOT from 2500 to 6500 rpm and you don't see anything below 12.5, don't sweat it. If memory serves correct, my tuner was shooting for 12.5 from the higher 13 and 13.5 I was reading before a tune.

Perscitus, please chime in as I'm sure you remember this better than I. To what AF did Rob tune your car?

Cheers!

• 1 month later...
i ordered the intake this morning but just found this thread. i cancelled the order. i was thinking this would eliminate the snorkus, since i wanna put on a tube bumper on my outback. looks like ill have to figure something else.

i ordered the intake this morning but just found this thread. i cancelled the order. i was thinking this would eliminate the snorkus, since i wanna put on a tube bumper on my outback. looks like ill have to figure something else.

Snorkus eliminatus!

http://legacygt.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=192416&d=1411487637

• 11 months later...
I've been wondering about this for some time now. I've been hearing very mixed opinions on whether or not it's worth it to switch to the Takeda. I've heard that it causes more issues than it's worth. So, I'm gonna ask, To Takeda, or Not to Takeda? That is the question.

Do the takeda. :cool:

If you want max HP from the Takeda, add another $150 worth of parts as I did. Look at the first page of the 3.6r sticky

So, if I got this right...

AEM Drop-in Filter + HKS = 7whp 5wtq

Or Takeda Intake + HKS = 9.2whp and 8wtq

and there's no proven gain from the HKS so a milkjug removal might be all that's needed. Therefore...

7whp 5wtq = $39.99

9.2whp and 8wtq = $295

:lol:

I think I could be clever with some cheap tubing and make my own HKS.

What have I become? I'm sounding like somebody else right now :lol:

Edited by Timothy.B

Tim from Raptor created an intake for the 3.0R but still haven't seen one for the 3.6R yet. That'd probably be a best bet. Decent gains (about 10kw or 13HP) Costs about $447 USD

http://forum.liberty.asn.au/viewtopic.php?f=65&t=22082&start=210#p385704

I feel as if though this would work for our engines.

In the meantime I need to buy a new air filter anyways, I'm trying out the AEM and work out some kind of ram air where the milkjug goes.

Edited by Timothy.B

If only that HKS funnel was still findable. Fred, you wouldn't happen to still have yours laying around would you? :)

No tengo.

I sent it to one of our members over a year ago.