LegacyGT.com

Takeda 3.6R Intake Review

We shipped out our last 3.6L aFe intake today. These are currently in production and will be ready to ship in 7-10 days. We are taking pre-orders on our website.

Legacy/Outback 3.6L aFe Takeda Intake

http://www.emnotek.com/images/Product/medium/5476.jpg

Coupn code? ;)

"It's within spec" - SOA :rolleyes:

"Depth is only shallowness viewed from the side." - Fredism

"So, how much did it cost for your car to be undriveable :lol:." - Stephen (very close friend)

"You have done so much it would be stupid to go back." - Sunny of Guru Electronics

2018Q50RS | 2015WrxThread | Shrek

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I asked, no cam do. With the prices offered by Emnotek, there is little to no margin left.

Will order mine when these are back in stock. Bday present to self, lol.

Should have mine before the weekend. I'll have to wait till next week though (Tuesday or Wednesday) to install it.

Should have mine before the weekend. I'll have to wait till next week though (Tuesday or Wednesday) to install it.

Yeah, well some of us won't get to do that. I'm hearing the sound of the world's smallest violin :lol:

"So, how much did it cost for your car to be undriveable :lol:." - Stephen (very close friend)

"You have done so much it would be stupid to go back." - Sunny of Guru Electronics

When I get the intake, I will have to calculate which has more surface area...the aem flat panel or the takeda cone and go from there.

My impression after having the intake a while is that the AFE is flowing more air than the MAF can process. While there is power added from the Takeda intake is increased in rpm lumps the stock intake excelled in less power with no lumps.

The AFE filter is huge compared to the stock filter. I've already measured out my stock box where it needs to be cut for this weekend to see how the intake performs with a more stockesque style filter. I know that intakes with a bigger filter doesn't really work better. It might work on paper in terms of flow, but that isn't everything. How dense the air enters the engine is just as important so if the air vortexes around the MAF it tricks the sensor how much air is actually entering the engine;more air might be going into the engine than the MAF is reading so it runs too rich. Air density is still important to N/A homies as our forced buddies.

A smaller filter can solve that lumpy problem so the obvious choice is to modify the stock box to work with the Takeda tubing.

My impression after having the intake a while is that the AFE is flowing more air than the MAF can process. While there is power added from the Takeda intake is increased in rpm lumps the stock intake excelled in less power with no lumps.

The AFE filter is huge compared to the stock filter. I've already measured out my stock box where it needs to be cut for this weekend to see how the intake performs with a more stockesque style filter. I know that intakes with a bigger filter doesn't really work better. It might work on paper in terms of flow, but that isn't everything. How dense the air enters the engine is just as important so if the air vortexes around the MAF it tricks the sensor how much air is actually entering the engine;more air might be going into the engine than the MAF is reading so it runs too rich. Air density is still important to N/A homies as our forced buddies.

A smaller filter can solve that lumpy problem so the obvious choice is to modify the stock box to work with the Takeda tubing.

Do you have the hks funnel?

No, but I can't see the physics on how that would help. With the HKS funnel with Takeda's AFE air filter and I'm accusing would "allegedly" vortex the air past the MAF.

Do you have the hks funnel?

You will pick up more and slightly cooler air. I got a clear gain across pretty much the entire power band.

The person who had originally tried it on his outback in 2010 had used an instrument to measure i take temperature with and without the funnel. The funnel intake temps were about 3 degrees cooler on average.

I dont doubt the ability of your filter. I believe you are not getting enough air through it.

It is possible what your saying about not getting enough air maybe their advertised "360 degree filter" (ha) is blocked by the case and the top of the filter has a plastic does have cap. No offense intended though but looking at your dynos I didn't see that the HKS funnel free'd up power. Power fluctuates too much for air temp/pressure/ blah blah blah to measure small gains accurately. Might need several dynos on different days. Take Takeda's dyno for example. The baseline on their dyno was the max gain on yours.

http://afepower.com/catalog/TR-4304P/graphs/TR-4304PI1600.jpg

Original post: http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2013-legacy-3-6r-intake-dyno-218087.html?t=218087&highlight=hks+funnel

You will pick up more and slightly cooler air. I got a clear gain across pretty much the entire power band.

The person who had originally tried it on his outback in 2010 had used an instrument to measure i take temperature with and without the funnel. The funnel intake temps were about 3 degrees cooler on average.

I dont doubt the ability of your filter. I believe you are not getting enough air through it.

Edited by nadracer

^^^ none taken. I understand that you must question anyones claim. I will try to explain what I did.

My method was such that I could repeat my testing and have consistent numbers. My max being someone elses base cant be compared. But, I can compare my base run with the intake mod and see where I gained.

Ive done 5 dyno sessions so far. 2 for baseline. 1 for intake. 2 for exhaust. I discount the first dyno because it didnt follow my methodology for the next 4 dynos sessions.

My max went up 6.7 at 5700 rpm while at 5250 rpm I gained close to 10 for just the hks funnel and aem filter. Down at 4000 rpm the gain was 5.

That is the data I gathered on my car. For me, I feel confident about the gains. The only reason I did a second dyno session for my baseline was to set up a consistent way of testing as I was not pleased with my methodology for the first session and I didnt believe I could get repeatable results and I didnt want to give advice that couldnt be proven.

I certainly hope I didnt spend all that $$ in vain.

Cheers!

Why not modify the Takeda box to accept a panel filter? I got mine today, so when I get a chance, I'll pull my AVO filter and see if it fits in the Takeda, and if not, by how much.

Cause it wouldn't work. It would be easier to build a new box from scratch. I already cut the OEM box to accept the takeda tubing. It's 1F so I'm not going to try fitting until tomorrow.

Why not modify the Takeda box to accept a panel filter? I got mine today, so when I get a chance, I'll pull my AVO filter and see if it fits in the Takeda, and if not, by how much.

I am curious to see if there is a configuration other than that which was intended by Takeda.

Good luck.

It seems that new orders are delayed a bit. Not sure if it is the manufacturer or shipment.

Edit...thats good to know youve already tried it. Curious to see a fitment when you get to it.

The Takeda tubing will work with the full stock air box but, of course there is a but the silicone couplers need to be a bit longer. Either with two longer straight couplers 5-6" maybe didn't measure it. Or one longer straight coupler and a 45 degree coupler with a longer sleeve. Getting the Takeda tube to fit against the throttle body and the oem box either makes it at an awkward angle or pulls it out of alignment by a mile. Just a side note about the Takeda intake is that it only needs half the OEM box to support its weight next to the engine.

So with the cut OEM box it can look like this. I could have done a better job but this was just to mock; don't really care for the stock box.

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p165/danbob_bucket/9C2037C5-1C06-450D-9A7A-50F4FA0D7687_zpsaqf0br1f.jpg

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p165/danbob_bucket/2FD2F8C7-85EE-49DD-B385-52852A811094_zpsrviu4egd.jpg

In the car...

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p165/danbob_bucket/IMG_4423_zps6d33b36c.jpg

Pipe against the stock box

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p165/danbob_bucket/IMG_4420_zps3bdff01f.jpg

...opposite end :icon_sad:

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p165/danbob_bucket/IMG_4421_zpsbfdcc825.jpg

I played around swapping the couplers to see what would be better but nah. My initial impression was "buy new couplings" is right.

Anyway the Takeda is back in and I pulled the air jug since I think its more an impediment at this point to the Takeda filter and I'll run around like that for a while.

happy modding

Edited by nadracer