LegacyGT.com

2015 WRX teaser

aac0036

Just an update... I absolutely love my 2015 WRX. Only complaint so far is the HD Radio with Bluetooth integration. It doesn't always play my Bluetooth music, so I have to go into my phone and manually start my music before it will play it (could be a cellphone issue). Also, the voice recognition sucks. I'll tell it to call my "Home Phone" and it asks if I want to call my "Dad's Cell". One body complaint too (may be related to ice buildup as we have had a lot of thaw and freeze days here in VT) my passenger side rear door would not unlock without forcing it unlocked while pressing the unlock button just yesterday.

Other than those small issues, the car works great, sounds great, and pulls harder than my 2005 LGT did on a stage 1 tune. Though, I agree with the general consensus that I miss seeing that black LGT sitting in my driveway.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • I Donated

Still loving mine. The TPMS indicators are annoying, though. I have my winter wheels on, and I get both the TPMS light and an "i" next to the odometer.

Got like 31 mpg this last tank though! :D I have a feeling it's going to go down significantly now that I'm finished my road trip. ;)

Still loving mine. The TPMS indicators are annoying, though. I have my winter wheels on, and I get both the TPMS light and an "i" next to the odometer.

Got like 31 mpg this last tank though! :D I have a feeling it's going to go down significantly now that I'm finished my road trip. ;)

Who installed your winter tires? I think I'm gonna have the Subaru dealer install my winter dunlop tires. Maybe they can avoid that issue or at least trouble shoot if it arises

Anyone tried the regular gas yet? Maybe with some octane booster. Now that gas prices are down its not bad to fill up on the premium stuff

I have, accidentally. Noticeable loss in vroom. Took it easy the rest of the tank. The difference from regular to premium per tank is nothing, like $2.50.

There should be minimal change, as it is a Direct injection fueling system. Though I'm sure there is a slight timing pull for 87 for safety. I use 87 Octane, and I can confirm that it pulls just as hard on 87 as 93, as I have run it on both. Subaru Dealership I went to said to run 93 occasionally to clean out the fuel system, but 87 is OK, as the fuel door itself says Premium Recommended, not required as with the LGT.

Took this from Reddit's Subaru forum:

"From the 2015 WRX/STi Manual:

Fuel Requirements

STI - The engine is designed to operate at maximum performance using unleaded gasoline with an octane rating of 93 AKI (98 RON) or higher. If 93 AKI (98 RON) fuel is not readily available in your area, unleaded gasoline with an octane rating of 91 AKI (95 RON) may be used with no detriment to engine durability or drivability. However, you may notice a slight decrease in maximum engine performance while using 91 AKI (95 RON) fuel. Use of 91 AKI (95 RON) fuel will not affect your warranty coverage.

Except STI - The engine is designed to operate using unleaded gasoline with an octane rating of 91 AKI (95 RON) or higher. If 91 AKI (95 RON) fuel is not readily available, unleaded gasoline with an octane rating of 87 AKI (90 RON) may be temporarily used. For optimum engine performance and driveability, it is recommended that you use premium grade unleaded gasoline.

Regular unleaded gasoline with an octane rating of 87 AKI (90 RON) or higher may also be used. Using regular unleaded gasoline will not be detrimental to engine durability, nor will it affect your warranty coverage. However, depending on your driving habits and conditions, you may notice a decrease in maximum engine performance, fuel economy or slight engine vibration or knocking. If you experience any of these conditions while using a lower octane rated fuel, you may want to return to using 91 AKI (95 RON) octane rated fuel as soon as possible. Additionally, i fyour vehicle knocks heavily or persistently, the use of 91 AKI (95 RON) or higher grade unleaded gasoline is required."

• I Donated
Who installed your winter tires? I think I'm gonna have the Subaru dealer install my winter dunlop tires. Maybe they can avoid that issue or at least trouble shoot if it arises

The issue is due to lack of TPMS sensors in the winter wheels. I had no desire to pay for additional sensors for the winter wheels or for the tool to switch between the IDs. Now that I have three cars in the family that have TPMS, the $150 tool may be worth it, but I would still need to buy the sensors. The issue is unsolvable without either buying a second set of sensors or trying a hack like the "TPMS pipe bomb" (buy some PVC pipe and end caps, add a valve stem to one of the end caps, put one of the existing TPMS sensors inside, assemble with PVC cement to ensure it can be pressurized, and pump up the pipe to 30psi).

Anyone tried the regular gas yet? Maybe with some octane booster. Now that gas prices are down its not bad to fill up on the premium stuff

Uh, you do realize that any money you save by filling up with regular will be more than offset by poor fuel economy, right?

I personally recommend premium for any car that says "premium recommendation for maximum performance" because the only way the ecu will know you are running lower Octane fuel is by the knock the lower Octane fuel will cause.

2003 Baja 5MT

2016 Outback 2.5i Premium w/Eyesight

I personally recommend premium for any car that says "premium recommendation for maximum performance" because the only way the ecu will know you are running lower Octane fuel is by the knock the lower Octane fuel will cause.

Yep. And knock is no good :(.

I get 27 on 93, and between 25-26 on 87. Premium is $0.60 more than 87 here, so it almost equals out. I make out slightly better on 87 octane, but that's mostly highway miles. Find what works best for you I guess.

Cool thanks for the input with an actual explanation regarding your findings

The issue is due to lack of TPMS sensors in the winter wheels. I had no desire to pay for additional sensors for the winter wheels or for the tool to switch between the IDs. Now that I have three cars in the family that have TPMS, the $150 tool may be worth it, but I would still need to buy the sensors. The issue is unsolvable without either buying a second set of sensors or trying a hack like the "TPMS pipe bomb" (buy some PVC pipe and end caps, add a valve stem to one of the end caps, put one of the existing TPMS sensors inside, assemble with PVC cement to ensure it can be pressurized, and pump up the pipe to 30psi).

TPMS is something GM got right. The only "tool" needed is a $2 magnet from Lowes to cause the sensors to re-register if needed. Readout is built in - you can display the pressure of any tire at any time on the instrument panel display. A good system all round.

• I Donated
TPMS is something GM got right. The only "tool" needed is a $2 magnet from Lowes to cause the sensors to re-register if needed. Readout is built in - you can display the pressure of any tire at any time on the instrument panel display. A good system all round.

Man, I wish Subaru's didn't suck so much. All we get is an idiot light. Doesn't even say which wheel is low, or even if it's a wheel that's low or a malfunction in the system.

"I can walk outside and physically see and check which tire is low."

Tough to do that with run flats - which was the incentive for GM to go TPMS in 1997 for the then new Corvette. RF's are spreading, as they enable manufacturers to free up space and shed weight and cost. And checking by eye is not simple to get it "right" on some SUV's where the tires are naturally a bit bulbous. Let's face it, this whole legislation was triggered by the Explorer/ Firestone fiasco. And to be honest I do not know why any manufacturer would not want to get this one "right" since it is part of a safety issue.

Sadly, once tire pressure monitoring became a legal requirement, quite a few of the manufacturers were only focused on how to meet the requirement at minimum cost - trying to use existing ABS sensors to detect differing wheel rpm's, etc., only providing a warning light, etc.

Personally, I like being able to head out on a journey and check the pressure on all 4 tires, just by pressing a few buttons.

^yea, this. my gf's HHR, which has some of the most obvious cheap materials and poor build quality that I've ever seen on a modern car, has an awesome dash computer with TPMS pressure read-out of every tire, coolant temp, and all kinds of other info

Technology is nice but it doesn't hurt to know how to read a tire gauge just in case that sensor malfunctions.

sure, and that's why I keep a nice dial-type pressure gauge and a 12V operated tire pump in my trunk. but it's not an excuse to have such a shitty system which obviously is just to meet the US gov requirement. while driving and the light comes on, there is a huge difference in urgency between "I have a tire that is a few psi too low" and "I picked up a nail and I'm losing a psi every minute." Subarus have a cheap "check the box" system and a car as expensive as a WRX should have better.

anyway, I've seen a few WRXs and STIs on the roads over the past few weeks. they look a lot better in the wild than when I saw them at auto shows and in photos. hope you all are enjoying your new cars

• I Donated
sure, and that's why I keep a nice dial-type pressure gauge and a 12V operated tire pump in my trunk. but it's not an excuse to have such a shitty system which obviously is just to meet the US gov requirement. while driving and the light comes on, there is a huge difference in urgency between "I have a tire that is a few psi too low" and "I picked up a nail and I'm losing a psi every minute." Subarus have a cheap "check the box" system and a car as expensive as a WRX should have better.

^This x1000. I'm going to have the gauge and pump (along with a patch kit and spacesaver spare, not to mention a torque wrench with a 19mm socket, and a bunch of other non-tire-related tools) in my trunk no matter what. But that's no excuse for Subaru to cheap out and to make the system hard to service. GM does a lot of things wrong, but they got this one very, very right, and Subaru got it very, very wrong.

^This x1000. I'm going to have the gauge and pump (along with a patch kit and spacesaver spare, not to mention a torque wrench with a 19mm socket, and a bunch of other non-tire-related tools) in my trunk no matter what. But that's no excuse for Subaru to cheap out and to make the system hard to service. GM does a lot of things wrong, but they got this one very, very right, and Subaru got it very, very wrong.

This. Just blew a tire at 17K, enough that I need to shave a new tire down if I were to replace it. Luckily found a set of 15 WRX OEM takeoffs with 700 miles on them locally for $500. Tires, wheels, TPMS sensors. But now I have to reprogram the new sensor IDs into the computer. And Subaru has a very complicated way of doing so compared to other manufacturers. Blah.

At least I have a set of wheels for track tires and full size spares now I suppose.

Archived