LegacyGT.com

SomeZero’s SLO LGT

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The main reason for the swap, is the questionable strength of the trans we have. The WRX 5 speed is a ticking time bomb at my power levels while we know we don't have that 5 speed, we do have a 5 speed with a 6th gear added. And the strength is a big unknown for us I would rather be safe than sorry as my typical week Monday through Friday I am on average 400 miles away from home.

How does the spec B trans compare to 07+ STI trans that has taller gears than 04-06 STI?

specB trans has same 1-4 gearing, but taller 5th and 6th. Also has no DCCD or front LSD (though I added one from a 05 STI about 4 years ago). DCCD unit from the STI trans will not bolt up to the specB trans.

The main reason for the swap, is the questionable strength of the trans we have. The WRX 5 speed is a ticking time bomb at my power levels while we know we don't have that 5 speed, we do have a 5 speed with a 6th gear added.

I know the older WRX 5 speed was made of glass, but are the newer ones still bad? I really haven't looked into it, just curious. Also wonder if upgraded 5 speed gears would work in our trans since we have such a unique mounting situation...

And the strength is a big unknown for us I would rather be safe than sorry as my typical week Monday through Friday I am on average 400 miles away from home.

Are you daily driving it or just commuting Monday, staying somewhere and then driving back on Friday?

I've only put 1,500 miles on the car since my turbo swap in late May so it wouldn't surprise me if you were already the highest mileage 5th gen with a turbo swap. :eek:

Having cracked mine open after shredding 3rd gear: Can confirm it's essentially the WRX 5 + overdrive. Power level concerns should be handled accordingly.

Not to hijack but what was the fix? Did you guys replace certain internals with new OEM stuff or?

Dang...wasn't it somewhere here in the forums within the last few weeks you were just waiting for something to break though?lol...dnot take that the wrong way, think of it as a quicker way for that built engine you wanted

Yeah talk is cheao until you are looking at 80 psi on cylinder 4 on the compression test results.

I'm still on the "**** this car" and "Why the hell did I mod this" stage of motor blown grief. I expect by the time this bottle of Bullit bourbon is gone tonight ill have moved past I should sell it and get a pruius, strait to holy shit I'm getting a built motor time for more power.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

So I think we have some beefy heads. From looking at surly's build, typically the heads push the compression up .5 but looks like you got .8 out of it.

Irish wake worked, woke up excited to start exploring options.

I'm feeling so fortunate for having 6 star here. They have been amazing so far discussing options knowing this is my daily driver at the same time many shops would have booted me to the curb until im ready to pull motor etc.

I was able to put down a deposit and they sent off quality case halves to start the process.

As long as I keep it out of boost and baby the shit out of it. I will be able to drive it while they are building the motor to minimize downtime.

This way we can order parts slowly and my wife doesn't kill me for dropping 5 grand on something that I saw coming but never told her.

They dont call the 20g turbo the stock block widow maker for no reason.

Availability of funds will determine how crazy this build gets and how fast it is done. With the kids and holidays comming up we will have to baby steps this and keep cpt 80psi on cylinder 4 running.

So far

We are confirmed

Manley coated pistons 10 over still exploring compression options.

Manley forged rods

Sticking with stock sti crank

Arp studs.

Going to go parallel fuel rails for sure

New aem map

Looking at cam options but they fn expensive.

Tgv deletes

Goals at this time are 400whp/450wtrq

Going to prob end up fmic and relocating turbo to a fog light set up to run a proper ewg.

Again all can change as funds are the factor.

Then in when strizzy sells me his spec.b six speed we will go that route.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Archived