LegacyGT.com

Crucial Downpipe install!

Guest *Jedimaster*

Jedi, I have a couple questions:

1) Did you use ramps to get under the car, or jackstands, or some other method? I assume all the work is done above the car, with the exception of two flange bolds b/w the dp and midpipe? You obviously got the job done, but was it miserable trying to work under the car using your method?

2) Where does the copper gasket come from? Crucial? Do I need to order that separately? Does the copper gasket sealant come with the gasket or do I need to get that from an auto parts store?

3) Will I need a new gasket or any type of gasket sealant for the bottom connection?

4) Will the stock heatshield (turbo) need to be modified? I wonder why, given the relative girth of the OEM dp vs the Crucial? Can you snap a pic of the stock heatshield off the car? If you decide to put it back on and need to trim it, can you post a pic of it after it's trimmed?

5) On the torque-by-hand issue, did you tighten all the bolts with a 3/8 rachet or a 1/2 drive ratchet? The difference in torque force between my two rachets is significant. (I also wondered how anyone could get a torque wrench on all 8 of those bolts).

6) Is the O2 sensor physically attached to the OEM downpipe? If so did you just zip-tie the wire to an out-of-the-way location? Where?

THANKS

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

jedi, one question:

When you flashed to stage 2 did you flash over stage 1, use a stage 2 real-time map or revert to stock and then flash to stage 2?

On my WRX I stayed at stage 1 but I hope to get to stage 2 on my LGT so a little AP help would be cool...

Thanks in advance..

Guest *Jedimaster*

The copper gasket and downpipe to midpipe gasket andc bolts were with the Crucial kit. I used jackstands to get under the car. I don't know about the stock heatshield because I'm not using it, but it doesn't look like much would need to be trimmed. I used both types of ratchets depending on what I could fit and also due to the fact that I broke a socket on another project. I could get all but one of the downpipe bolts from the top- I only went underneath to get that last downpipe bolt and the two holding the downpipe to the midpipe.

I selected the change map option on the AP and flashed the base map to Stage 2.

2) Where does the copper gasket come from? Crucial? Do I need to order that separately? Does the copper gasket sealant come with the gasket or do I need to get that from an auto parts store?

3) Will I need a new gasket or any type of gasket sealant for the bottom connection?

Here is some info:

2) The copper based gasket sealant doesn't come with the UP/DP. "Permatex Copper Spray-a-gasket" is a good one to use, available at NAPA, Pepboys, Autozone, etc..

3) The bottom gasket from Crucial is copper, so Spray-a-gasket that too.

George

When you flashed to stage 2 did you flash over stage 1, use a stage 2 real-time map or revert to stock and then flash to stage 2?

To take full advantage of the Cobb programming, you want to use the base map that most accurately reflects what your car is running.

To change base maps or update map versions you don't need to revert to stock, the Cobb programming will update/change the old map bit by bit till it becomes the new map, kind of like an in place update.

Thanks guys for the AP info...I figured it had to be easy to upgrade. Looks like stage 2 is a no brainer. Jedi's walkthru pics are exactly what I needed to tackle this. Now the question is do I go catted or catless.

I am :)

Russ- I agree with you on the torque wrench. I didn't use one- and I rarely do- it wouldn't have fit in the spots I needed it to anyway.

Sorry not 100% clear on our plumbing. Can you help answer few things. (boy I'm such a puss...i should just go stage 2 and shut up.)

1. So there is an O2 sensor on the first section of our DP?

2. Crucial shorty doesn't have it cause its useless since the O2 sensor is monitoring for a melted cat....which is no longer there.

3. AP will ignore and CEL's that may occur.

4. Do we have to do a similar resistor fix for the DP as you would for the UP??? Or is a simple 8 bolts, reflash and your done...no CEL's?

Please correct me if i am wrong on any of these.

Guest *Jedimaster*
Sorry not 100% clear on our plumbing. Can you help answer few things. (boy I'm such a puss...i should just go stage 2 and shut up.)

1. So there is an O2 sensor on the first section of our DP? No 02saensor in the downpipe, stock or Crucial

2. Crucial shorty doesn't have it cause its useless since the O2 sensor is monitoring for a melted cat....which is no longer there. See #1

3. AP will ignore and CEL's that may occur. AP ignores the signal and doesn't turn the light on

4. Do we have to do a similar resistor fix for the DP as you would for the UP??? Or is a simple 8 bolts, reflash and your done...no CEL's? Correct- just install, flash and go race, er, just kidding :D

Please correct me if i am wrong on any of these.

Awesome. So the AP is ignoring something? It's not right since there isn't an O2 sensor anyway. Just wondering cause if I were to go in for emissions testing and flashed back to stock I don't want a CEL. Maybe its best just to leave it stage 2 for emissions testing? (running stock UP, crucial shorty, stock 3rd cat, APst2)

p.s. when are you changing your Avatar....that dude is nasty.

Guest *Jedimaster*

I'll change my avatar when you donate to the site :lol:

There is an -2 sensor, but it's after the downpipe, before the final cat.

top right corner of the homepage ;)

Wow!! I miss alot using Firefox. Internet Explorer shows it fine. For some reason the top bar running across the homepage and the LegacyGT.com Stuff box does not appear.

Firefox is fast but this stuff happens all the time. Sometimes I cant even log onto hotmail.com. It just shows a blank page after putting in my username and password. Microsoft must love losing market share to Mozilla..

I am using FF too....took me a bit to find where it was. Didn't JUMP out at me. As for the Hotmail thing....same problem for me. Methinks Microsoft has a sandy crotch about it. FF is doing to MS what MS did to Netscape. Hehe.

Guest *Jedimaster*

Still using Opera- can't get into FF much.

As far as liking the Crucial, I like it more every day. It's a great piece and Stage 2 is the tits! Heatshield? I don't need no stinking heatshield. It runs fine and is way more powerful than I need.

Archived