LegacyGT.com

Crucial Downpipe install!

Guest *Jedimaster*

Jedi.... so... what are you running exhaust wise in your car now ?

Stock Up - > stock turbo - > crucial catless shorty -> straight midpipe -> stock mufflers ?

you took out your resonator & replaced your midpipe w/ a straight pipe right ?

the only cat you have is in the up ?

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest *Jedimaster*

You're right except that I have the cat in the midpipe and the uppipe. I may eventually go for a HFC, but for now I'm happy.

I'm impressed with how much more powerful the car is with Stage 2. It's not only a beast, but soooo much more smooth- it really should have had this tune from the factory. It pulls hard in every gear- yesterday I only drove a few miles to test it out. Today on the way to work with my normal route and routine I was even more surprised- I simply don't feel the need to downshift much. It's really incredible. I found myself getting too close to other cars with accelerating like I normally do- and so far the mileage seems to be improved a bit, which I didn't really expect. Also there's no sign of stutter yet although this may come back.

Bottom line: It's smooth as silk and more than powerful enough for me. :cool:

Thanks Jedi,

Muchas gracias Leo...

For your comments, always enlightening, once I had my WRX, I didn't have any mods on it (I know shame on me), then I started the art (modding) on my S4 heheheh $$$$ though.

Cheers,

Flavio Zanetti

Boston, MA

You're right except that I have the cat in the midpipe and the uppipe. I may eventually go for a HFC, but for now I'm happy.

I'm impressed with how much more powerful the car is with Stage 2. It's not only a beast, but soooo much more smooth- it really should have had this tune from the factory. It pulls hard in every gear- yesterday I only drove a few miles to test it out. Today on the way to work with my normal route and routine I was even more surprised- I simply don't feel the need to downshift much. It's really incredible. I found myself getting too close to other cars with accelerating like I normally do- and so far the mileage seems to be improved a bit, which I didn't really expect. Also there's no sign of stutter yet although this may come back.

Bottom line: It's smooth as silk and more than powerful enough for me. :cool:

any CEL's with the shorty set up? think i can do a crucial shortie and an AP st.2 and avoid CEL's???

Guest *Jedimaster*
any CEL's with the shorty set up? think i can do a crucial shortie and an AP st.2 and avoid CEL's???

Yup- Stage 2 ignores the signal for the missing cat.

I've been debating this over and over in my mind - well, maybe I'll just see if I can't get the dough for the AP inside next month's "play" budget, and get it right-off-the-bat.

Gets rid of that pesky CEL with no worries or hassles. :)

Thanks, jedi, for the push.

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

Come to think of it,..will I throw a cel with just the shorty??

I did a search and most thru cels occurred due to a full dp and some had cel even with mil fix,..

I dont have an AP, so what can happen with the cel on cause of the dp if any?? Any loss of performance cause ecu will go into "limp mode" (if any?)...

Guest *Jedimaster*
Hey Russ-you were right on retorquing the bolts- they were a bit loose since my install- not coming off, but not as tight as I had them. it took about 5 minutes to apply a little more oomph to the bolts tonight- it's amazing how once you do a mod it's so much easier to futz with it later.

Jedi do you find yourself longing for the UP? I ask because driving a 5AT spoolup can be lazy, and I'm not sure just a DP would be enought to correct this, (I'm at Stg 1 AP)

although after reading the Cobb DP advert it sounds like just what the doctor would order.

Guest *Jedimaster*

I really have no desire for an uppipe right now. The car always spooled plenty fast for me. Especially compared to my old 2 liter WRX- that took forever until the uppipe went in.

Clearance is great all around- I expected to have to zip tie some wiring, but nothing is even close to the pipe. There's enough clearance between the pipe and the firewall to get part of my forearm in, so no worries there. If you want pix to show the clearance, I'll take some.

Retorquet thos bolts straight away so the embossment crushes and the gasket gets a good seal.

Russ, after installing the copper gaskets (using a copper based sealant of course) what steps should we take and how long do we wait before retorquing? Ex: Should we drive ~2 miles with some WOT, let it cool down for an hour, repeat, and then retorque?

I've heard varying advice on this. Thanks!

Now get back to work on the web site. :lol:

j/k. Nice write-up. I just got my RP pipe back from ceramic coating.. I might install it tomorrow, but that Crucial pipe does look nice! So, what is the official answer regarding shorty downpipes and CELs? Will installing a catless shorty downpipe cause a CEL?

Heat the hell out of it and retorque. No need for driving.

I hate to post this, but I'm going to anyway. I know one of the best Subaru wrenchers in the country but won't name him because I didn't ask his permission. He never uses a torque wrench on exhaust parts and neither do I. Our instructions cite the factory torque specs and they're really light. You need to crush the embossment on the gasket to make a seal. Even with the factory gaskets, if you don''t retorque, they loosen up. Wherever the factory torque spec came from is a mystery to me. It hink somebody was drinking a little sake when he wrote it.

Now guys are going to strip bolts and warp flanges and blame me. But the truth is the truth.

Now get back to work on the web site. :lol:

j/k. Nice write-up. I just got my RP pipe back from ceramic coating.. I might install it tomorrow, but that Crucial pipe does look nice! So, what is the official answer regarding shorty downpipes and CELs? Will installing a catless shorty downpipe cause a CEL?

By reading all the search results,..I think the answer is yes as there will be more flow of exhaust that the rear O2 sensor will see,...

The cheap fix is to use 2 spark plug non-foulers to back the O2 sensor out of "full" stream of exhaust,..Some still get the cel, some wont,..So the next step is to use the MIL fix for ~$30 or so,...

Lastly, an AP will work,..but thats a $650 fix,...

I will see which will work when I get my Helix up, stromung shorty back from ceramic coating and installed,...

Guest *Jedimaster*

I am :)

Russ- I agree with you on the torque wrench. I didn't use one- and I rarely do- it wouldn't have fit in the spots I needed it to anyway.

We sell parts, not engine mangement or tuning services.

That said, just hanging parts on your car won't make your car perform much better. That's not to say you don't need the parts to make power, but you do NEED the tune. The tune is everything. Without it, you're wasting money.

Please, pay attention. Crucial doesn't sell engine management. Posting this could hurt our sales, but integrity is important to us.

You need a good tune by a good tuner. In that regard, you must do a lot of research. I use Element Tuning. Phil is meticulous about his work and it pays off in spades.

You can wreck an engine real fast without a good tune. In fact, I'll wager far more than 90% of blown engines are the result of bad tuning.

Archived