LegacyGT.com

Crucial Downpipe install!

Guest *Jedimaster*

Guest *Jedimaster*
I think the issue was with the cover rubbing on various things. Must have been developed by the same guy who made their latest stage 2 map :lol:

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 year later...
So of all the dp's I've considered, Crucial's seems to be of the highest quality, and also exactly what I've been looking for. I'm just uneasy with installing a dp on my 07 due to the fact that no tuning is available right now (ahem Cobb). I know that the 07 has a catless up and I'm running a SPT intake with a Autospeed CBE (I know, its a bit of a frankenstein). Should I man up and downpipe the thing or should I wait. I don't drive the car much so I wouldn't be running lean every day until the new 07 AP support comes out, but I still would prefer not to destroy a new motor.

^ just wait. btw...i wouldn't run that SPT intake with out a tune.

You know the crucial is not a full down pipe right? It's just the "shorty" front section. It will net you most of the gains of a full downpipe but you can add the second section...either with HFC or no cat to get the full effect. Also, some people are hung up on the fact that the pipe is 2.5" as opposed to cobb and some other pipes (invidia, perrin, etc.) which are 3". Most cbe are 3"....so for a full 3" turbo back you wouldn't get the crucial. I have crucial and it is indeed a great piece....perfect fit. The heat coating is great and you don't really need 3" until you are pushing bigger power from a bigger turbo (300whp+). Our little oem turbo can only push so much air.

nice install. the only question is, is it just me or did the divorced waste gate weld were it meets the down pipe look kinda well crappy

History does not entrust the care of freedom to the weak or timid

People sleep peacefully at night cause rough men stand ready to do violence on there behalf

I've heard a lot of people here on the forums warn about the SPT intake without proper tuning. I've been running it for nearly half of the miles my 07 has without any noticable problems. I'm not sure why it would be harmful to run the intake that is endorsed by SOA without an aftermarket tune. I would hope that SOA has done enough R & D to produce a product that wouldn't completely mess with air/fuel ratios to the point of producing a lean motor condition. In any event, the Autospeed CBE is a full 3" and I did notice that the Crucial dp is only the front "shorty" 2.5" diameter section. My logic here was that I could perhaps safely run this downpipe with the stock intermediate section and the CBE for now until a tune is available. At that time, I would go completely catless and install the crucial "long" dp section and flash to stage 2. However, I don't know if going from a 2.5" dp to a 3" CBE makes any "performance" sense.

I don't know if going from a 2.5" dp to a 3" CBE makes any "performance" sense.

I don't really think it will make much difference unless you move to a bigger turbo. Try the shorty section....you my get a CEL, but maybe not.

Guest *Jedimaster*
^ :lol:

this tread is nearly two years old. :lol:

the pipes used to be WIG welded, now they are TIG (pretty). It really doesn't matter what it looks like. It all holds together the same.

Yup, and two years later, after an underhood detail it still looks beautiful :)

I've heard a lot of people here on the forums warn about the SPT intake without proper tuning. I've been running it for nearly half of the miles my 07 has without any noticable problems. I'm not sure why it would be harmful to run the intake that is endorsed by SOA without an aftermarket tune. I would hope that SOA has done enough R & D to produce a product that wouldn't completely mess with air/fuel ratios to the point of producing a lean motor condition. In any event, the Autospeed CBE is a full 3" and I did notice that the Crucial dp is only the front "shorty" 2.5" diameter section. My logic here was that I could perhaps safely run this downpipe with the stock intermediate section and the CBE for now until a tune is available. At that time, I would go completely catless and install the crucial "long" dp section and flash to stage 2. However, I don't know if going from a 2.5" dp to a 3" CBE makes any "performance" sense.

1. They warn for a good reason; can't always feel ill effects from an untuned intake.

2. I had the crucial; imo, it's outstanding in every way for a stock turbo app. It makes plenty of sense if: you believe that divorced is superior to bellmouth (as many turbo experts would), reducing heat output near your front cv boots is desirable (as anyone who's had to replace one would), cost is a consideration (300 v. 600).

You can run it without a stg 2 tune (and likely fairly safely, as you are simply removing a restrictive cat -- as han said, you may/may not see 02 cel), but you almost certainly will not see the dramatic gains you would see with a proper accompanied reflash.

as j255c said well, crucial shorty or turbo>cat is not going to choke the stock turbo, even with your 3" cbe; and if you have big turbo plans somewhere ahead, go 3", as you'll need the flow, and the crucial wg exit will likely not line up or accomodate a larger eh's turbine.

best of luck to you.

Jfyi 2.5 is not a restriction until you are at 400+ crank so anything bigger than an 18g go 3"

^^^ yeah that's what we usually say. Up to 18G-ish in turbo size the difference between a well-made 2.5" system and a 3" system is little to nothing. Usually the 2.5" nets better throttle response and torque when you're out of boost (so light throttle or low rpm) and it is most definitely quieter. At the 20G+ level you start to see a few ponies from the switch. There are actually a lot of 20G guys running our LGT downpipe and making great power numbers so at that point I think it's really a toss-up. If you're going larger than that I'd probably start considering a larger pipe unless you're more concerned w/ torque and noise levels and less concerned about hitting some specific peak power #.

You should get a CEL for swapping just the shorty section, since that is the only cat the new cars actually monitor w/ the rear O2 sensor. A lot of the time it goes on and off every now and then.

...and I have also heard that the SPT intake should be tuned for, btw... I've seen before-and-after logs where it did change the A/F ratio (via altered MAF readings) by a good enough margin to cause concern on some setups. It's a good intake in that the readings are nice and constant, but it does seem that they are different than stock and it really should be tuned with it...

Jeremy

• 1 year later...
  • 6 years later...

Archived