LegacyGT.com

Crucial Downpipe install!

Guest *Jedimaster*

It has nothing to do with the downpipe, actually. There is a heat shield that covers the hot side of the turbo and connects to the turbo. Actually, the bracket for it gets held to the turbo by the bolts that hold the downpipe on... but in no way does it connect to the downpipe. When you get an aftermarket downpipe it will be wider up top than the stocker thanks to the bellmouth or divorced section. The turbo heat shield must be trimmed for clearance, that's all.

Jeremy

excellent, thank you.

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

[disclaimer] Just for the record... we sell these for offroad use only. Crucial doesn't condone or advise swapping parts in order to slide through emissions or warranty service that may rightfully be affected negatively because of the existance of the aftermarket parts. [/disclaimer]

Jeremy :)

[disclaimer] Just for the record... we sell these for offroad use only. Crucial doesn't condone or advise swapping parts in order to slide through emissions or warranty service that may rightfully be affected negatively because of the existance of the aftermarket parts. [/disclaimer]

Jeremy :)

If your parts are as good as your disclaimer then I'm sold!! (actually, I was already sold)

Nice :)

...I've been known to take the Legacy off-road every now and then also... ;)

http://www.wrxfanatics.com/uploads/post-44-1072245138.jpg

http://www.wrxfanatics.com/uploads/post-44-1072245184.jpg

...cuz this is where I'm from before I moved to the Bay Area :D...

http://www.wrxfanatics.com/uploads/post-1-1098745599.jpg

Jeremy

Guest *Jedimaster*

http://www.wrxfanatics.com/uploads/post-10-1122269795.jpg

Off topic off topic- stop jacking my thread :lol:

Mike- I'll help you put your downpipe on if you like.

Guest *Jedimaster*
http://www.wrxfanatics.com/html/emoticons/neener.gif

...sorry :) ...

You better be- I sure hope you don't post any more pix of that young lady in a bikini- and you BETTER not PM me nudes either :lol:

Anybody with a Crucial shorty DP have a o2 bung welded in?

Just thinking about down the road if I someday want to go with a new TMIC/custom tune/bolt-in turbo. Thinking it may be better to get one welded in before the coating process and before it is installed in the car.

How are the copper gaskets holding up? No lost bolts?

-B

• 3 months later...

Make sure you're not confusing heat shields! The turbo heat shield is the one that gets trimmed and goes back on. It covers the turbo, not the downpipe, and no matter what you do to the downpipe it cannot prevent your turbo from radiating heat like crazy. Run your turbo heat shield!. As for the downpipe, there is no heat shield. You cannot put the stock downpipe heat shield on an aftermarket downpipe. The only sort of shield available would be getting a huge turbo heat shield like one of the SpeedMonkey's or the like that cover some of the downpipe also.

Again -- because we get this question a lot... the "do I need to use my heat shield even though your pipe is coated?" question... the answer is YES, you do. It covers the turbo, and we probably haven't coated that for you.

However, if the question is actually a question of covering the downpipe itself with some sort of custom heatshield: No, there is no need. With the coating the pipes radiate extremely little heat.

Hope it helps...

Jeremy

Thanks Jeremy and Jedi. This does help. I know Cobb had some issues with their DP and then came out with a special heat shield. (That's what my question was driving at)

Is there somewhere diagramming what section to trim away from the turbo heat shield? I would not be doing the install myself and want to be sure the shop has something to go by.

Yeah there are pictures on ScoobyMods and whatnot but it's fairly clear once you look at the shield... there are basically two halves -- an upper and lower half -- and there is a line between the two. Cut the lower half off, which also opens up the hole cutout for the downpipe :p...

Yeah there are pictures on ScoobyMods and whatnot but it's fairly clear once you look at the shield... there are basically two halves -- an upper and lower half -- and there is a line between the two. Cut the lower half off, which also opens up the hole cutout for the downpipe :p...

That is simple. Guess you can tell that I hardly ever look under the hood.:icon_bigg

• 4 weeks later...
Thanks Jeremy and Jedi. This does help. I know Cobb had some issues with their DP and then came out with a special heat shield. (That's what my question was driving at)

Is there somewhere diagramming what section to trim away from the turbo heat shield? I would not be doing the install myself and want to be sure the shop has something to go by.

Hmmmm what kind of issues man?????

I haven't seen this special heat shield on Cobb's page, are we missing sth here?

Flavio Zanetti

Boston, MA

Archived