LegacyGT.com

Ground straps at the bottom of engine ?

One thing to remember is that you could put 1563535196591565365 grounds on your car and it would NEVER hurt anything. But if you have NO ground, EVERYTHING can mess up. Make your own out of wire like Max shows above. It looks like he used 2-14 ga. wires if I'm correct Max? That's easily more ground than the original flat straps. I generally use a piece of 12 ga. Monster cable with the clear sheath because you can see through it and see if it's corroding. I also put heat shrink tube over the end where the crimp terminal goes on just to seal it up even more.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had one of the Electrical guy's at work make up the cables. Just told him what I was doing, he used what was easy to grab.

I should seal the ends with a little RTV too.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I made all of my own ground cables. I used leftover JL audio cable from an old stereo install. gauge size is more than what's needed, but its what I had so, free is for me.

I scrapped my factory (-) battery harness and ran a new ;

*4 gauge from Head -> Frame

*4 gauge from (-)battery -> trans and (-)battery -> frame.

*8 gauge from (-)battery-> to alternator case -> to passenger side fender/ frame

*8 gauge (+)battery -> alternator

This eliminated static that I had in my radio on all channels. My grounds were corroded from Northeast livin' so I think by replacing all my grounds and cleaning all contact points it definitely helped and was an easy afternoon project

• 3 months later...
Possible electrolysis in the cooling system as well as RFI interference.

This is exactly what will happen. I recommend replacing them with better quality TBO. One per head, and then then block grounds. If the heads don't have them, then you'll end up having a small charge arcing between the head and block, corroding the coolant passageways. Also higher quality coolant helps reduce it. Not absolutely imperative but a good preventative measure.

Thing is, in order to purchase pieces you have to buy twice as much as is necessary.

I would need 16" of wire, 4 connectors, minimal wrap and I don't own a soldering iron. At a store I'd have to buy 10' of wire, a bundle of connectors, a package of wrapping and a soldering iron.

Could possibly lead to a O2 sensor showing or going bad ?

I don't know about bad, but eventually over time will show less of a voltage signal going to the ECU. I bought 4 nice, heavy gauge ground straps with terminals soldered and completely shrink-wrapped so they don't corrode over time off E-Bay for like $12.

Zack K.

Could possibly lead to a O2 sensor showing or going bad ?

I'm thinking, not so. The exhaust manifold is held on the head by studs and nuts. The threads and contact area of the nut should provide enough of a ground path.

Am I mistaken ?

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I'm thinking, not so. The exhaust manifold is held on the head by studs and nuts. The threads and contact area of the nut should provide enough of a ground path.

Am I mistaken ?

Enough time, rust/corrosion and exhaust heat can affect even the largest contact area. A clean connection is a happy connection when it comes to electical. O2 sensors in general have a lower output voltage so a clean ground will always be beneficial for a proper voltage path. I've seen terminals and ground wires rust/coorode all the way thru, so there's no telling how bad it can get under that exhaust stud nut.....

Zack K.

Archived