LegacyGT.com

Ecutek Tune for 3.6R (Powha! brought to you by Visconti Tuning)

• Replies 443
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What cbe do you have? I have perrin abe. Looking for a mid and y pipe to complete it.
I've got a Magnaflow CBE designed for the 2.5GT, cut to fit the 3.6R. And a Vibrant SS resonator welded into the midpipe.
I also wonder if that dip at 3k was the avcs switching
Could be. Visconti tuned cam timing all he could and no luck eliminating the dip.

He did manage to flatten it out a it and raise the torque in that rpm anyway, but the dip remained, just moved up with the rest of the curve.

No big deal for me, but you know how tuners are - it bugged him... a lot.

Yes, me too Magic Marker. Next time John and I look at the car, we'll work on a 87/economy tune. It might be that with the lower octane #, if the ignition and cam timing settings don't introduce any knock, we can actually make more power or at least just as much. We shall see.

John - if you're reading this, would you say its safe to run the tune you developed for us with 89 (possibly) or 87 (I doubt it)?

Or only 93 for now since that's what you worked with?

Just confirmed with John/Rick (they're in Cali tuning some GTRs) that the tune I have is good for 89 and 93. Ecutek adds some fuel adapt tables to the ECU (or rather, allows for adjusting the stock adapt tables) so the car will self-adjust to running on 93 or 89. Since John dialed in his ignition, cam timing and fuel map settings using 93, the map we have right now is ideally suited for that (R+M)/2 octane rating. But with an NA H6, using 89 will be just fine. 87 is likely unsafe with this map.

For that we'll have a separate tune and flash both maps (switchable with the CC or wiper stalks @ ignition). One aggressive/performance map, one passive/economy map. Both should produce gains over OEM stock.

Still trying to figure all this out, but it sounds like I shouldn't do anything until all the tunes are finished. How difficult will this be to do myself once it becomes available? Will I be able to flash back to stock easily?

hows she been runnin
Running like a champ. Had some fun on the highway today, but its just as fun around town. Low-end torque is very noticeable, great fun gunning it, even to just 60-70mph.
Still trying to figure all this out, but it sounds like I shouldn't do anything until all the tunes are finished. How difficult will this be to do myself once it becomes available? Will I be able to flash back to stock easily?
You can go either way. Get Johns opinion or speak to a local Ecutek tuner. Very easy to flash, reflash back to stock, flash back again with new or multiple maps and new features. John even mentioned he'll have new features for us in a month or two when he gets some new codebase from Japan. Our ECU images are in their DB already so they can enable/disable stuff, find more experimental or advanced features to try.
Where in Cali? San Diego?....j/k :)
lol, not sure. Ping John and find out. Hey, you never know.

The other piece of news is that the Ecutek tune is using the latest stock 3.6R firmware John and Ecutek HQ were able to scavenge from 2010/11/12/13 3.6Rs and their access to Subarus archive of ECU images. So along with the tune, our cars (especially 2010/11s) pick up the latest stock firmware available as an added bonus.

As promised, here are some crappy cell phone pics and videos from the dyno work. I failed to capture full runs, but you get the idea. BAU dyno tuning.

First post updated with a cell phone pic of the dyno chart of two post-tune runs.

1st plot (in green) before John optimized the cam timing.

2nd plot (in red) closer to the final tune, post cam timing tweaks.

Notice the low-end power and torque boost and the dip I wrote about?

aIMAG0277.thumb.jpg.87dfaeae8d90010fb668358a3faa63c8.jpg

aIMAG0279.thumb.jpg.61a846cb0f7614df882416b49c8e42d6.jpg

aIMAG0278.thumb.jpg.e2732c6029cef9baf1a4689534bad06f.jpg

aIMAG0281.thumb.jpg.d5b2c4b24ae8e7e867e9870b37b6ec2f.jpg

I sent John a message on Facebook and heard back pretty quickly. Sounds like I can get everything for about $800. I'm guessing the cable will be a good purchase since the only ECutek tuner is about 4 hours away. I'm assuming this will allow me to do my own logs and tuning upgrades? Still open to suggestions. Any idea what your 0-60 time is with the tune?

I knew there wouldn't be but my mind kept telling me to listen for the turbo blow-off.
Same here. The videos I managed to snap with my phone are just sample incomplete runs. As close to full runs as I could get. If all goes well, there might be some 'whine' coming from the engine bay in a year or two, read: intercooled supercharger. I think its the best route for the H6. A bi-turbo install would be a PITA.
Man 277hp out of H6 NICE!
Thanks. It feels nice. Just a peppier, stronger version of stock. I guess we can call it Stage 1 or 1.5 (based on the definitions I've seen floating around). I like the extra torque. Goes very well with the sluggish 5EAT. Speaking of, John wasn't exactly sure how to dyno or tune an 5EAT equipped Subbie. We tried both 3rd and 4th gear in manual mode. Ultimately he settled on 4th gear I believe.

You guys get such good prices on tuning and tuning products and such. They only 4WD dyno near me wants 225/hour. At this rate, I'm just going to drive to Buffalo and see Innovative lol. Car looks good, numbers sound good. Congrats!
Thanks. Yeah, Innovative would be great. Or if you're ever driving to NYC, Boston, Cape Cod, Nova Scotia stop by Visconti or MRP.
got my ots visconti tune today 319awhp 432wtq on 93 octane... then I woke up and watched more sti vs youtube videos Haha fml!
Tell me about it. Those Stage 4 numbers on the LGT are damn impressive. A beast of a 'little' motor.

Archived