LegacyGT.com

Ecutek Tune for 3.6R (Powha! brought to you by Visconti Tuning)

All this talk is out of my league at this point. I'm more than willing to take advice and learn from others smarter than me. All I know is John told me the tune was $150 and if I bought the cables I could easily do it myself, then the line abruptly went cold for about 3weeks now. All I'm saying is I just hate getting left hanging. If it ain't worth it, just tell me!

• Replies 443
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You really think it only takes a few minutes to adapt an off the shelf map to a different car? It would be pretty irresponsible as a tuner to just toss a map on the car and be done with it. Obviously some driving needs to be done to log and make sure everything is kosher. That could mean going for a drive or hooking the car up to a dyno. Then checking the logs, making changes, going for another drive/dyno pulls, etc. Thats a lot of labor for $150-200, not what I would call "easy"
I've done this for a living about 10-15 years ago. Tuning custom built engines (with completely custom electronics and ECMs/TCMs) in the ALMS. From an engine management perspective, a N/A H6 in stock trim or 'just' an ABE/CBE and maybe a drop-in air filter are all very vanilla and a cookie-cutter setups where a base tune will work just fine. The Ecutek reflash is simply a big tweak on top of the stock ECU tables with many hidden/extra settings reverse engineered or added onto the stock Subaru code. Still behaves normal in closed loop, still learns and adjusts. Easy.

On the other hand, a 2.5GT at Stage 2 or 3, 3.5 or 4 would be a vastly different beast. Then we can step up to a group-N, or a WRC Subaru Impreza and of course thats a vastly different story.

Like sschmelcke metioned, $150 for just the reflash.

No more crazy than he thinks I am after all the PMs and the dumb questions. He actually spent about 15 minutes talking with me on Facebook last week. The conversation ended with John saying he would send me a purchase link later that day. So close I could even smell it. 5 days later and nothing. Lol!

3 months later....
Yeah, tell me about it. I've stopped by MRP at least 3 times since the tune too trying to get on the schedule to get us a regular 87 gas tune and to tweak the 89/93 map some more.

I guess on the upside, no issues since tune. Just as expected.

She's still running great, hanging with WRXs/STis, 335s/535s, G/M37s, S4/5s. Averaging 26 MPGs (E10).

I'm starting to lose my hunger for this tune. Getting tired of the roller coaster ride and waiting to hear from John. I'm also second guessing if adding less than 20hp is worth $750. I also can't help to wonder if he is this hard to get in contact with BEFORE he gets my money, how hard will it be AFTER he gets my money.

Archived