LegacyGT.com

Ecutek Tune for 3.6R (Powha! brought to you by Visconti Tuning)

• Replies 443
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Closest tuner is 5 hours away in Atlanta

This guy is local but no dyno and he mentioned Cobb Accessport which doesn't work with the 3.6 right? http://covertcustoms.net/main/tuning

If you ever have time for the 5 hour drive, thats one option. Yes, Cobb Accessport doesn't support our engines and ECUs. But you can go opensource, there are a few guys on here including stevenc1703 who have with good results.
How much is a licence?
AMR is selling them for $299. A custom/pro tune on the dyno is usually another $150-200. So all together $450-500 initial cost.

Then typically $100-150 for re-tunes for any mechanical modifications where a re-tune makes sense (say intake, headers, cat-delete, raptor s/c).

http://store.automasteramr.com/EcuTek-License_p_363.html

http://store.automasteramr.com/Subaru-RaceROM-Calibration-Tune-_p_364.html

Just to clarify...though the title of this thread says Visconti, no one is recommending him.

I did an e-tune with Rob at AMR. I was pleased with his turnaround time and level of service...I just hated logging.

"It's within spec" - SOA :rolleyes:

"Depth is only shallowness viewed from the side." - Fredism

"So, how much did it cost for your car to be undriveable :lol:." - Stephen (very close friend)

"You have done so much it would be stupid to go back." - Sunny of Guru Electronics

2018Q50RS | 2015WrxThread | Shrek

• 2 weeks later...
Any chance this gets done for the 15 3.6R???

Contact Rob at AMR. My '13 had not been defined by Ecutek when I tried to have it tuned this year. He will most likely need to request it.

"It's within spec" - SOA :rolleyes:

"Depth is only shallowness viewed from the side." - Fredism

"So, how much did it cost for your car to be undriveable :lol:." - Stephen (very close friend)

"You have done so much it would be stupid to go back." - Sunny of Guru Electronics

2018Q50RS | 2015WrxThread | Shrek

• 3 years later...

Bringing this back from the dead.

So who is the go-to tuner to get a basic tune done? I have a '12 OB and am thinking about just doing an intake and tune, and wanna get it buttoned down within the next few months. I'm in PA, and can't find any master tuners within a 5 hour drive, but I would be willing to make the trip if it's necessary.

Skip the intake. And contact one of our site vendors about an open source tune or look for Ed (XRT) or Matt (Throttlehappy) to help you out.

If you're adamant about Ecutek or a dyno-tune - look to Moto East in PA.

Or use the Ecutek website to search for other Master tuners relatively close to you (there are a few in the Ohio valley region).

Also no need to bump this ancient and useless/irrelevant thread.

The days of locked and closed-source tuning for the old 5th gen are long done.

Your best bet for current info is the 3.6R mod thread

Open her up from the other end.

Intakes on this gen and most recent/current gen Subarus introduce too much MAF instability, spikes, resonance and hence mess up load and everything that relies on both the MAF signal and Calc'ed Load in the ECU logic (hint - a lot).

Performance gains arent even a consideration, these cars are MAF based, dont mess with the MAF transfer function. Stock airbox, resonator chambers, stock air filter or worse case Dryflow AEM/K&N or Amsoil drop in.

Ask me how I know 8 years after I started messing with the intake and EZ36D tuning.

And nearly 15 years before then doing the same across many other platforms.

Its mostly a waste of $$$ and time.

Go open source and get a tune from Ed or Matt or anyone else willing to deal with H6 tuning.

So there's no way to take out the resonators? Not by just cutting them and using blockoffs for the holes? Like I said, I don't care about the performance gain, I just wanna hear that engine breathe. Loud exhausts are not my thing, because I drive about 13 hours a week and I don't need hearing loss or a constant rumble for that long.

There is no need for the exhaust to be loud and still far more free flowing than stock. This is where most if not all the restrictions are on the 3.6R (2008-2018). But fair enough, if youre not looking for performance or exhaust noise and drone, this isnt the path for you.

If you like intake noises, feel free to replace the intake components as you see fit. Ideally replace the entire intake piping from the throttle body to the MAF housing, airbox and snorkel. Drop the filter location down onto the fender area, directly behind the fog housing and route some airflow in there from in front of the lower radiator bumper cover hole.

Just know that your MAF transfer function, MAF sensor inputs as interpreted by the ECU and drivability will suffer especially in low to medium load and RPM and lower load ranges where these engines spend most of their life.

A tune that will attempt to deal with this and limit the negative impact of messing with mass air flow metering will be key. And any and all intake sounds on the 3.6R are not that great, too much intake track resonance at specific RPMs.

My two cents but I would just do the tune for a higher octane for now. That alone gives you some nice sounds.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pv6lLxdAzIw&]XRT Stage 2 Shift Sounds[/ame]

With the addition of quicker shifts, higher low end torque, more HP at top end, and better throttle response. You'll be more than happy for awhile.

Definitely listen to Perscitus on the intake. He's probably had more time with it than anyone else.

Fair enough. And how might I go about cleaning up the exhaust without making it drone? Both of the systems I've seen are incredibly loud in the cabin, not to mention they're loud outside of the car.

Fair enough. And how might I go about cleaning up the exhaust without making it drone? Both of the systems I've seen are incredibly loud in the cabin, not to mention they're loud outside of the car.

If your looking for power, headers, high flow cats, Y-pipe and tune are where its at and this will be the largest boost short of a supercharger. Lots of people have added resonators or mufflers to the center of aftermarket cat backs to reduce noise levels. Some put sound deadener in the trunk and cabin too. A lot depends on what you want to do, what you consider loud, and how much you intend to spend. I haul my kids so loud is out. I've had loud cars and with a 27 mile commute I'd rather hear music or gossip on my phone.

I've got an Outback, so any kind of cabin noise will be much worse than in a Legacy. I've been thinking about making an exhaust system with the Raptor headers, some 2.5" high flow cats, into a resonator and then into a pair of Flowtech Warlock mufflers with electric cutouts, or maybe just a pair of Varex mufflers. I wanna keep it at stock volume or maybe at most 2/3 db higher when it's closed, and when it's open, I don't particularly care how loud it is.

Archived