LegacyGT.com

A different trailer hitch option

• Replies 632
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What is the final weight of the hitch?

I am so excited to get this hitch. Harbor Freight has a folding trailer I am thinking about. Now I can stop looking at trucks.

I have looked at their trailers and many many times. Even with my last car. Have yet to get one though. I'd love to get rid of the current hits though since it drags on everything.

"Build" Thread <--Link

(OLD) '05 EJ255 now a '13 EJ257 Bottom End w/D25 heads (NEW)

Forever Slow

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hmm. So I was reading through this and didn't see anything about it, may have missed it. Would I be able to tow a car with this? It obviously wouldn't be something I would take cross country but more or less bring trailer with me to the dragstrip as a precaution if I blow something up on my other car. Would save me the hassle of having to buy a truck lol. The car would be around 3000-3200lbs.

it is rated the same as the other hitches availiable, they have 3500 lb towing limit stamped on it.

for safe towing you need to have about 15% tongue weight that would be 525 lbs.

on the back of your car.

the legacy is not rated to those limits in the usermanual.

but yes you can do it, its not recommended.

if you tow with 2-5% tongue weight ( to keep the car some what level) it can be very dangerous at highway speeds.

to do such a thing safely you would need rear helper springs.

and it is some thing i have started a thread about.

Now that's thinking out of the boxer!:lol:

fyi all 05 + legacy's have built in code reader

• I Donated
it is rated the same as the other hitches availiable, they have 3500 lb towing limit stamped on it.

for safe towing you need to have about 15% tongue weight that would be 525 lbs.

on the back of your car.

the legacy is not rated to those limits in the usermanual.

but yes you can do it, its not recommended.

if you tow with 2-5% tongue weight ( to keep the car some what level) it can be very dangerous at highway speeds.

to do such a thing safely you would need rear helper springs.

and it is some thing i have started a thread about.

The other thing is, the sedans are not rated to tow anything, but the wagons are rated to tow 2750 lbs, IIRC... but anything over 1000 lbs requires a trailer brake controller. Starts to get expensive fast. This hitch is best for bike racks, hitch-mount cargo carriers, or smaller trailers -- as would be true for any passenger car.

imho towing up to a ton -2700 lbs is reasonable. provided you have brakes.

more than that mechanical issues may start popping up.

i am building a few trailers that are on air suspension that drop to the ground for easy loading. they have hydraulic disc brakes with the hitch as master cylinder. so no electronic brake controller needed.

IMG_6171.thumb.jpg.1c98732974d1da1cb3947bf93f949e0c.jpg

IMG_5978.thumb.jpg.bf984474178f7c7f9809be03c8de34a5.jpg

Hydraulic brakes, also known as surge brakes. All of the U-Haul trailers, over a certain GVWR have these. Works well, until you have to back that bish up even a moderate hill. Steep hill? Fuggeddaboutit. I suppose you could build some kind of interlock into it, but that sounds complex.
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Friend looked at me stupid for only considering running accessory mounts in this hitch... Not considering this for a maxed out towing option personally. My boat with single axle trailer is a hoof for a Tacoma/4runner chassis... In a full size truck? Way better.

Good luck yo those that like hearing creaking sounds over loading this hitch.

Now in all seriousness... TAKE MY MONEY!

Hydraulic brakes, also known as surge brakes. All of the U-Haul trailers, over a certain GVWR have these. Works well, until you have to back that bish up even a moderate hill. Steep hill? Fuggeddaboutit. I suppose you could build some kind of interlock into it, but that sounds complex.

the new ones have a lever you flip over that blocks the braking when backing up a hill.

I'd be surprised if something like that was legal here. I know the one on my parents boat is a lever and as soon as you put any forward motion on the tongue it resets, and that includes simply stopping fast while backing up.

2003 Baja 5MT

2016 Outback 2.5i Premium w/Eyesight

Well i test my brakes right after pulling onto the street .

The auto reset is good for some people but if your doing complex manuvering off road that will get real old fast.

• 1 month later...

Archived