LegacyGT.com

What did you do to your Legacy today? [PNW Edition]

tpeterson4237

Been a while since I've last posted! Finally got the coils all dialed in. Detailed the car and slapped on some wax too. Took a fancy picture on a sunny day and then today Eugene decides to get 9" fresh pow pow. (hangloose)

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/12/07/nuvygyme.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/12/07/a2y3y9av.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Got the transmission rebuilt... 7 years of autocrossing caught up to me. So shell shocked by the price, I was gun shy and didn't pull the trigger on adding an LSD.

How much? Curious the reasoning to rebuild instead of throwing in a 6spd. Straight cut gears or anything fancy?

torque impresses girrls, hp impresses flat-bills

Buddy did some huge upgrades to his wrx (gtx35r, custom downpipe / intake / Uppipe / dump tube /intake)

So I picked up his invidia cat less DP / Cobb short ram and grim speed up pipe with dump tube and EWG flange.

Going to shoot for a tune with intake / downpipe by end of the year. And then do EWG and headers by next summer. Finally more boost :spin:

How much? Curious the reasoning to rebuild instead of throwing in a 6spd. Straight cut gears or anything fancy?

There was a strait cut LGT 5 speed on CL a little bit ago...

I never post in here...

But I finalized my Stage 3 stock fueling e-tune with Dave @ Cryotuning Performance this week. Veeerrrrryyyyy happy with the results.

Self proclaimed PNW Craiglist find of the day Champion, April 2014.

There was a strait cut LGT 5 speed on CL a little bit ago...

I never post in here...

But I finalized my Stage 3 stock fueling e-tune with Dave @ Cryotuning Performance this week. Veeerrrrryyyyy happy with the results.

Cool! gonna get on the dyno for some pulls any time soon? I've lurked a little bit in the 5EAT threads to see how much power those guys pull. I'd be interested to see what yours makes.

straight cut lgt transmission? That would have been fun. :)

I think it was PPG and he was asking like $4k. And it might've been just parts, not assembled.

I assume that was still probably a good deal, yeah?

I'd daily drive that trans no prob. Until my ears bled at least.

Cool! gonna get on the dyno for some pulls any time soon? I've lurked a little bit in the 5EAT threads to see how much power those guys pull. I'd be interested to see what yours makes.

I hadn't really planned on it unless I make it to a dyno day or something, but

when I do fueling, whenever that is, I plan to get it dyno tuned.

I think it was PPG and he was asking like $4k. And it might've been just parts, not assembled.

I assume that was still probably a good deal, yeah?

I'd daily drive that trans no prob. Until my ears bled at least.

a ppg in good condition with the right gears would be worth 4k, if only to save on the 3 months lead time.

when I was spending money like water, I looked at getting a custom ppg gear set in a 6 speed. It would have added months to the build that was already was over due. Oh well, next life.

Got antsy and installed the DP and Cobb sr. Got an Ots map and it's making very smooth power @18psi. Gonna keep logging but it's very good for now. Headers / EWG will come this spring.

Got pulled over yesterday before work for " following to close" and "not using signal 100ft before switching lanes" let off with a warning :lol: That's 2/2 for warnings on the last times getting pulled over. Finally catching a break with nice cops! :wub:

Got antsy and installed the DP and Cobb sr. Got an Ots map and it's making very smooth power @18psi. Gonna keep logging but it's very good for now. Headers / EWG will come this spring.

Got pulled over yesterday before work for " following to close" and "not using signal 100ft before switching lanes" let off with a warning :lol: That's 2/2 for warnings on the last times getting pulled over. Finally catching a break with nice cops! :wub:

Cause: Younger guy driving a WRB WRX

Effect: Pulled over for weak excuse to see if their are any bigger infractions.

This is why I chose the Legacy over the Impreza platform :cool:

Cause: Younger guy driving a WRB WRX

Effect: Pulled over for weak excuse to see if their are any bigger infractions.

This is why I chose the Legacy over the Impreza platform :cool:

Cuz impatient and passed a car immediately after passing the fuzz :lol:

No speeding tickets in over 3 yrs! Lol

He was very nice about it and I am thankful my money can go to more racecar parts and not Uncle Sam :cool: Justin we need to drive down to Mexico and have some spirited driving now. And I do want a spec :wub: you know this!

Got pulled over and decided to fix it now? :lol:

What was up with the connector?

Surprisingly not. Haha! Was afraid that was going to happen. The connector was cracked and the wires kept vibrating out. I had an old hid bulb from a previous car and clipped then spliced the new connector on. Much snugger fit!

I'm off work until early January, so my car is on jackstands in the garage. I spent half of my time today fixing a few things that weren't done quite right when I took the car to a shop a couple months ago.

I had four EGT sensors installed, and today I was going to wire them up. To my surprise, two of them were just dangling. It seems the sensors are long enough to bottom out on the far side of the exhaust pipe, so when they were tightened down, they came apart. I ran the wires up from the manifold to the top of the engine bay behind the headlights, and then had an idea about making some brackets for the wires... which is going to take some time... so I stopped there and moved on to other things.

There was a nut missing from one of the exhaust manifold flanges. Two out of three ain't all bad, right? To be fair, it's in a very hard-to-reach spot, and it's clear that there was a nut on it at some point. Apparently it just wasn't torqued all the way because it backed off and disappeared. I wasn't sure I could torque it properly either, so I used a lock washer in hopes that will help.

There was a bolt (or stud?) missing from the top of the up-pipe, where it connects to the bracket that holds it in position behind the motor. Also a very hard-to-reach spot, but I actually noticed this missing just a few days after the work was done - this fastener was just forgotten. Or deliberately omitted because it's really hard to reach. (I have pictures, but am too lazy to upload them. Tomorrow.) It tried a variety of methods to get the bolt where it's needed, but the turbo is very much in the way, and it's on the front of the turbo so the motor is in the way too.

The #1 thing that I really wanted to fix today was the oil leak. But I'm not sure where it's coming from. At first I thought I was just smelling the coating on the headers, so I thought nothing of it. But the smell never went away and the dipstick was DRY when I checked it last week. (I last topped it off in September, but have hardly driven the car since.) I took the undertray off today to have a look around, and I think it might be coming from around the bottom of the turbo. Maybe the oil drain. I will pull the downpipe tomorrow to have a better look.

Also adjusted the short-throw shifter for shorter throw and shorter shortness. That ended up requiring some extra zip ties for the reverse lockout cable, which was a bigger PITA that it should have been because it was routed wrong when during the 6MT swap.

Tomorrow, I figure out the oil leak.

Took the downpipe off, didn't get a better view of the problem, which I think means that the leak is where the turbo's oil drain hardline meets the bottom of the center housing. That's the only spot I can't see.

So I decided to pull the turbo. Undid the oil feed line, then one water line, then the other, and water started pouring out... Oh, right. And that's how I finally got motivated to drain the coolant system and install some red silicone hoses between the block and the radiator. I have been putting that off for so long I don't even remember where I got them. :redface:

The turbo is still in there, though. I still need to disconnect the turbo inlet.

Received my new rotors, pads, and brace today. :D

do yourself a favor, swap out your brakes first. Bed them in. Drive around for a bit, including a good flogging (the road out towards mary hill looks worthy). Then put in the grimmspeed brace. Do the same road. Me still thinks it is hype. :eek:

Archived