LegacyGT.com

What did you do to your Legacy today? [PNW Edition]

tpeterson4237

second on Boxkita's track notion. biggest bang for the buck will actually be driver education, and then really good brake pads, and then track specific tires/wheels/brake pads/disks.

FTFY...

After that, swaybars, s/s brake lines, frequent oil changes, aluminum radiator (the plastic tanks fail).

Going to the track (driver skills, autox, hpde) is all about driver education. I've watched a really great driver run a lifted 4x4 dually extended cab diesel pickup thru a slalom course faster than a well setup Porsche driven by a novice driver. No amount of car mods can make up for lack of driver education.

/soapbox

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
@boxkita, Koyo or Mishimoto or does it matter?

I'm really hoping to hit the track this summer regardless of mods. Though, if all goes well I'll have suspension, sways, tires, wheels, brakes, motor and turbo work done by June.

Personally, I don't think it matters. I bought a Mishimoto because my race shop liked them better. Most on here have bought Koyo. PM Gex to get his opinion, as he did far more research on his choice than I did. There is also a thread on here about the differences between the two.

Depending on where "Pacific NW" really is, check out the Audi University of Quattro at Evergreen Speedway in Feb (http://www.motorsportreg.com/events/audi-club-na-northwest-monroe-fair-evergreen-speedway-car-control-clinic-896092) and Porsche NW Region's year round Driver Skills (http://www.pnwr.org/track/driver_skills/default.asp). The next Porsche Driver Skills class is January 14, 2017 (http://www.motorsportreg.com/events/pca-pnwr-drivers-skills-january-14-2017-bremerton-motorsports-park-622022).

A number of LGT owners have attended the Porsche classes and had a good time. They are held at Bremerton Motorsports Park just outside Bremerton, WA. Regardless of the state of your car, as long as it runs, these are great classes to attend.

Disclaimer: I'm an instructor for both of these groups and got my start doing these events. Driving your car on track is addictive and can lead to loss of disposable income.

End of week 2 on the garage. Found someone with their own scaffolding so can do the upper reaches. Bringing in several dozen sheets of osb to finish the inside. Then get a heater to warm up it enough to paint.

Maybe by Christmas, I'll be moving cars and tools in.

Guess I missed the post that you actually had your new garage all figured out. I didn't realize it was unfinished though. Congrats! Post some pics!

2005 Vader Wagon

Material Tests on Ringland Failure Piston

I should have held off and purchased a wagon instead of the spec.B

Guess I missed the post that you actually had your new garage all figured out. I didn't realize it was unfinished though. Congrats! Post some pics!

Started posting here - http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/cool-article-05-scca-wagons-floating-around-still-73859.html?p=5543299#post5543299

I'll be adding more stuff here as the project gets moving. Yesterday was the end of week 2 of ownership, so things are moving fast, at least for me. :eek:

• 2 weeks later...

From Cobb:

The key when analyzing data logs is to keep in mind that the knock detection systems on these cars is not overly sophisticated and can report knock events when no knock has occurred. This is fairly typical at lower load or with bigger throttle changes. Also, some occasional small corrections can be normal and do not necessarily indicate a problem. Some general things that I look for that may indicate that a car has a knock issue to be addressed (based on logging):

1. Feedback knock correction or Fine knock learning -4.2 or worse at low loads (i.e. cruise/low throttle situations).

2. Fine Knock Learning of -2.8 or worse during wide open throttle (WOT) run.

3. Fine Knock Learning of -1.4 if it consistently covers a large portion of the WOT run (indicating multiple cells involved)

4. Feedback Knock (-1.4) in the middle of your WOT run that is fairly consistent run to run, but does not start near when you mash the throttle. The first time it drops (ex. goes from 0 to -1.4) is when the knock event happened for feedback knock - the rest is it just ramping back to zero (unless it drops again).

5. Feedback Knock of -2.8 or worse at WOT if not due to mashing the throttle.

6. If your dynamic advance multiplier (DAM) drops from 1.0 (for 2.5L Subarus) or 16 (for 2.0L Subarus). Keep in mind that some maps start the DAM at a lower value when you reflash or reset the ECU and this is normal and not a cause for concern - will eventually learn up to its max if all is good.

https://cobbtuning.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/201230934-General-Guidelines-for-Monitoring-Knock-on-a-Subaru

Looks like your FBK was right around 2800, I'd log a few runs to compare. Have any WOT datalogs?

From Cobb:

https://cobbtuning.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/201230934-General-Guidelines-for-Monitoring-Knock-on-a-Subaru

Looks like your FBK was right around 2800, I'd log a few runs to compare. Have any WOT datalogs?

From another thread I was directed to email Dave at CryoTune Performance. He explained the 08-09 sometimes dislike the OTS maps. In a couple weeks I'm going to eTune to settle everything out.

Still recovering from Christmas expenses and piling parts for the protune.

Sent from my One M8 using Tapatalk

Yeah, the more and more I look into it, the OTS tunes are hit or miss depending on the car. I haven't logged anything since going stage 2, should probably do that.

Got the new TB Hose on, that thing was a pain, needs to be just right. I think my top mount angles differently than stock, seems like the new hose barely fits.

Idle curiosity: is the rear wagon subframe the same across GT, 2.5 and OBXT?

My car was originally an Illinois car, and the subframe and exhaust are rusted to shit. Wondering what it would take to get a spare, prep it right and slap it on there.

could check opposed forces to see, or get the part # for your car and go to a subaru parts place to see what other models use the same part #.

options while you wait.

Should be. however ymmv

I cut a bit more of the oil line away and now I think I just need to clean up the edge and then I can put the fitting on it, and then everything will go together perfectly!

SC

1994 Legacy MI

2008 Legacy GT specB

2023 Crosstrek Limited

Idle curiosity: is the rear wagon subframe the same across GT, 2.5 and OBXT?

My car was originally an Illinois car, and the subframe and exhaust are rusted to shit. Wondering what it would take to get a spare, prep it right and slap it on there.

I recently did this in my wife's Outback as it originally came from Salt Lake City. I used a subframe from a wagon and put it into a sedan. I had my brother in law sand blast it for me as it was used, sprayed it with Por 15, sprayed it again with Duplicolor Bed liner and did 3 good coats for coverage. Since I was going that far, I deleted the lift blocks and everything else associated with the Outback lift.

Mine is a 2004 (previous body's type) but it should be the same for your car. Subframe will be the same between wagon and sedan, Outback and Legacy.

Archived