LegacyGT.com

18x8 Suggestions?

BarManBean

RPF1? how can you not be a fan? Unless you never swap your wheels. I've been cleaning the garage of wheels/tires for the last weeks. The RPF1s get moved more than anything else, because they are easiest to restack. The rest make me groan to move yet again.

They look pretty good, too. Lots of bling.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yep saw those. I still like the RE875 a bit more with the spoke design but that fitment of RGRs is super rare too.

How about Rota G-Force in 18x8.5 et48? I like hyper black... and 245/40/18 tires would work great with the wheels. You can get new ones from a shop in Chicago shipped for $820 for the wheels.

BMB will never own BROTAS - if he puts those on his GRP beauty I'm flying east to kick him in the nuts!

RPF1? how can you not be a fan? Unless you never swap your wheels. I've been cleaning the garage of wheels/tires for the last weeks. The RPF1s get moved more than anything else, because they are easiest to restack. The rest make me groan to move yet again.

They look pretty good, too. Lots of bling.

I'm torn with them. 18x9.5 in SBC and they look great... essentially 18s or bigger is a must. 17s and they don't work for me. The big lip and short spokes are the issue I have. I did notice TireRack has them $50 off/wheel right now (but has to be 18x7.5), so they are like BROTA cheap for a good quality wheel (just wrong width). I'm pretty sure the deals are over with Underdog/IP&T etc. on the Enkeis.

I was looking at those same OZ rims, think the red would pop nice with my Ice Silver Gen 5. Just saving my pennies and trying to decide between 17" or 18"
18s minimum on your 5th gen. If I had a 5thgen LGT I'd be rolling 19s or 20s with those massive wheel arches.

Get a set of SSR Comps for super lightweightednessity.

There's also the TR Motorsports C2. Not many people know about them, but they're cheap and at 19lbs, they're not too heavy for a 18" wheel. And before someone makes a stupid comment...TR stands for Tire Rack and Enkei builds them. The TR MT1 is a popular wheel BMW trackers buy.

The MT1's are soooo nice, I really want a set but it seems they don't make a 5x100 bolt pattern anymore?

I was going to go with RPF1s for my LGT, but there are two reasons why I didn't:

- they only come in 8" width and I wanted at least 8.5" (but 9.5 was too wide for me)

- because the spokes don't go all the way to the edge of the rim, they would look really small on my '11 LGT

Otherwise, they would have been perfect, as the 18x8 weigh just under 18lbs. And at $1000 shipped, they are a good deal, if you factor in how light they are. Great track wheel, but I wanted a wider setup for street and track.

Yep saw those. I still like the RE875 a bit more with the spoke design but that fitment of RGRs is super rare too.

BMB will never own BROTAS - if he puts those on his GRP beauty I'm flying east to kick him in the nuts!

I'm torn with them. 18x9.5 in SBC and they look great... essentially 18s or bigger is a must. 17s and they don't work for me. The big lip and short spokes are the issue I have. I did notice TireRack has them $50 off/wheel right now (but has to be 18x7.5), so they are like BROTA cheap for a good quality wheel (just wrong width). I'm pretty sure the deals are over with Underdog/IP&T etc. on the Enkeis.

It is funny, and you have not been around long enough here to know it, but there is a lot of $hit being talked about Rota wheels. While in fact, they are not that bad, especially for the price. They are on plenty of track cars and hold up very well to both street and track use. But I don't want this to be a discussion on Rotas, so the above will be it from me.

If I could have a dedicated set of track rims, they would be RPF1, for sure. But for every day use, they don't look that hot to me.

It is funny, and you have not been around long enough here to know it, but there is a lot of $hit being talked about Rota wheels. While in fact, they are not that bad, especially for the price. They are on plenty of track cars and hold up very well to both street and track use. But I don't want this to be a discussion on Rotas, so the above will be it from me.

If I could have a dedicated set of track rims, they would be RPF1, for sure. But for every day use, they don't look that hot to me.

How do you know they are not bad :lol:

I knew I'd never buy Rotas the first time I saw them. Their designs are knock off's of original wheels I've admired long before I had my current car. I don't buy knock offs.

Let's not get into the "fake vs. real" wheel debate here (despite your assumption a year and a half is not nearly long enough for me to have witnessed many threads on this same topic). You can have whatever you want on your ride. I'll keep driving on my Ray's Volk Forged CE28Ns because they are what I want.

How do you know they are not bad :lol:

I know that Rota wheels are not bad because I had them on a car before and they performed just like any other wheel I had. A local vendor, who had been racing Subarus nationally, had used them on their race cars (along with RPF1 wheels) and have not had any failures or other issues. In fact, Rota makes OEM wheels for various manufacturers (just like Enkei), including Toyota, which you are probably aware of.

I knew I'd never buy Rotas the first time I saw them. Their designs are knock off's of original wheels I've admired long before I had my current car. I don't buy knock offs.

Let's not get into the "fake vs. real" wheel debate here (despite your assumption a year and a half is not nearly long enough for me to have witnessed many threads on this same topic). You can have whatever you want on your ride. I'll keep driving on my Ray's Volk Forged CE28Ns because they are what I want.

That's precisely why there are so many wheel manufacturers to chose from. To each their own. An imitation is an ultimate form of flattery. :lol: I am just not a fan of people jumping onto a hatewagon just because that is what the cool kids do, when, in fact, such actions are not justified. Don't get me wrong, I do like high end stuff, wheels included, but can't justify an expensive set on a car I daily drive for work (30k miles per year) over really crappy roads.

Back on topic: which wheels are you leaning towards BMB?

All aftermarket parts are good to the buyer/installer that lacks frame of reference and cannot accept anything other than success.

Lets just say its eye opening to go from RPF1 to heavier knockoffs with the same tire setup at the track. Be prepared to up the dampening.:mad:

For sure translates to brake wear and mpg.

Lets just say its eye opening to go from RPF1 to heavier knockoffs with the same tire setup at the track. Be prepared to up the dampening.:mad:

For sure translates to brake wear and mpg.

Can't disagree there, more unsprung weight will do that. But how much heavier to notice the difference? An LGT is a compromise at the track anyways. So are some wheels... It is all just a matter of degree.

• Moderators

I have issues with the stories I hear about cosmetic integrity of rotas mostly--pretty sure a couple salty winters here would start to eat up the finish on them, at least from what I've seen / heard, especially in looking at used wheels. That and the weight. No matter what the difference is, I think it's likely that I can find lighter wheels for a similar price when it's all said and done, so why not?

Right now I have time. My current tires suck, but they have a good bit of tread left. I either need to make the switch now and move to summers or more likely I'll run my current tires for the summer, then pick up dedicated winters and look to seriously step up my tires for the next warm season. As much as it might suck to wait a year to upgrade my wheels / tires that will also give me a good chance to save and get a nice setup--lightweight, strong wheels and premium rubber.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

I'm torn with them. 18x9.5 in SBC and they look great... essentially 18s or bigger is a must.

18x9.5 Enkei RPF1's dont fit a 2005 LGT. I caught the tail end of a special order and brought a set in. Spent lots of time/money trying to make them fit without rubbing.

That said, you can stretch a rubber band over them and they will sort of fit.

They looked really good with 275/30/18's (stack of four). Really filled the wheel wells. However, couldnt turn at all.

Mounted with 245/18's, you could drive on them, but was shaving a nice line in the right rear tire about 1 inch down on the sidewall. No amount of camber would make it go away. Even flattened the lip and pulled it some. Need about 1/2 inch pull out for about 3 inches vertically (read really expensive body work)

IMG_20120623_102524-.jpg.990d9fb6062d439343c7e92c4bc67940.jpg

IMG_20120605_121800-.jpg.39d5c1ad1b2bf7c45cc173e4f20d18bc.jpg

Can't disagree there, more unsprung weight will do that. But how much heavier to notice the difference? An LGT is a compromise at the track anyways. So are some wheels... It is all just a matter of degree.

I went from 18" rpf1 to 17" pf01 in back to back sessions. The unsprung weight difference was noticeable, especially coming out of the corners. the tire height was within .1" difference.

18x9.5 Enkei RPF1's dont fit a 2005 LGT. I caught the tail end of a special order and brought a set in. Spent lots of time/money trying to make them fit without rubbing.

That said, you can stretch a rubber band over them and they will sort of fit.

They looked really good with 275/30/18's (stack of four). Really filled the wheel wells. However, couldnt turn at all.

Mounted with 245/18's, you could drive on them, but was shaving a nice line in the right rear tire about 1 inch down on the sidewall. No amount of camber would make it go away. Even flattened the lip and pulled it some. Need about 1/2 inch pull out for about 3 inches vertically (read really expensive body work)

Oh I fully understand - it's just when the wheel style gets appealing to me. I actually followed your fitment posts related to these in the past. Good points for those following that weren't "in the know".

I drooled over a GB for the NT03+M in 18x9.5 +40 and know that "Subacabra" runs them, I just don't want to even try to stuff them under my car. 8.5" width between +45 and +48 offset is as aggressive as I'd go personally.

RPF1's are ******* sexy, you guys are on crack
Look great in 18" + as I stated before. Yours are going to look great on BSM. I just don't like them in < 18" and think they really look best in the wider widths (as do most wheel designs IMHO). Even my CE28Ns could look much better in a 18x8.5 or 19x8 vs. the 17x7.5 :(

Archived