LegacyGT.com

Bought a Miata

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Competition Yellow is a rare color for NC... and actually looks really good in person, IMHO.

I looked at this ad a week or so ago. I think he's a little high on price, but I don't follow NC prices all that closely. At $12.5-13k I think it could be a decent buy. It is a clean, low mile car, with an attentive and enthusiast owner.

the pics in the ad don't show the color very well. I think I have a couple pics of a Comp Yellow NC with hardtop at home somewhere... I'll try to remember to post them when I get home.

Competition Yellow is a rare color for NC... and actually looks really good in person, IMHO.

I looked at this ad a week or so ago. I think he's a little high on price, but I don't follow NC prices all that closely. At $12.5-13k I think it could be a decent buy. It is a clean, low mile car, with an attentive and enthusiast owner.

the pics in the ad don't show the color very well. I think I have a couple pics of a Comp Yellow NC with hardtop at home somewhere... I'll try to remember to post them when I get home.

I like the color actually, but I don't want to drive a yellow car regularly. Also my wife hates yellow cars because of an ex. My ideal is still a white 09+ NC 6spd sport suspension/lsd car.

2003 Baja 5MT

2016 Outback 2.5i Premium w/Eyesight

Well, I thought I had more pics of this car, but I could only find one...

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y185/RodanAZ/Miata/CompYellowNC1_zpsuika6m4v.jpg

This pic (not mine) shows the color in context pretty well:

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2009/10/2009mx5review_011alt_opt.jpg

It is a really orange yellow, and looks great in person...

The Phoenix CL car is definitely overpriced, though.

Well... f*ck PhotoB*cket with red hot poker. $400/yr to link pics to forums.... right.

Years of forum posts and build threads wiped out. :mad:

Yup time to find another place to host pictures for me too :(

2003 Baja 5MT

• 2 weeks later...

So, I've been working on a few things with the NA... and I set up a Flickr account for posting pics. Time to test it out.

Finally got around to trimming the overlong gauge panel...

35808565156_66fd4fc655_c.jpgGauge panel short by Rodan AZ, on Flickr

And, since it's hot, I added some AC:

35808551896_5a1dedb429_c.jpgVent L by Rodan AZ, on Flickr

35808557476_7a99282e57_c.jpgVent R by Rodan AZ, on Flickr

I also found a fan that should work for a defroster, I'll post more on that when I get around to that.

For now, I'm scrambling a bit trying to get ready for FM Summer Camp at the end of the month. Been doing a lot of tuning work, fine tuning AFRs for smooth throttle response in the corners. Getting close to perfect.... :D

I have some parts lying around I need to get installed... Finally bought some front wheel bearings and I had a coupon code for a racing shop so I picked up a schroth profi ii-6h.

2003 Baja 5MT

Installed RB front and 949 rear swaybars with 949 endlinks. Another box on the suspension list ticked off...

35132035953_35de41e38b_c.jpgDSC_0614 by Rodan AZ, on Flickr

35900540476_4f91b2f18a_c.jpgDSC_0615 by Rodan AZ, on Flickr

35771107522_67cc025e47_c.jpgDSC_0616 by Rodan AZ, on Flickr

Don't look too closely at the third photo... No instructions included and I ended up wthe the rear sway bar on backwards...fixed it after I figured it out. :p

Shocks look pretty bad for only 5 years old in AZ... I was hoping to have either Fox or Xida on by Summer Camp, but that's not going to happen. Maybe for MRLS if I can squirrel some more $$ away.

All new eccentric bolts, and extended lower ball joints getting installed when I get it aligned next week.

So, in the spirit of the original thread title... this NB followed me home today!

35283542023_e1f788cdcd_c.jpgPack 1 by Rodan AZ, on Flickr

36052930916_9cab67f400_c.jpgNB 2 by Rodan AZ, on Flickr

'99, needs paint (obviously), and a motor. But for $500, I couldn't resist!

I was originally thinking of parting it out, but I think it's a solid enough car to make a decent driver. :)

Nothing concrete. Need to give it a good cleaning, and see what I've really got first. If it is going to be a driver, probably a used VVT motor, MS3 and MKTurbo kit...

https://mkturbo.com/9905NB.html

...and paint. Don't know if I'll DiY that, or just a Maaco respray. Hood and bumper should be cheap to replace, the rest is pretty straight.

I can also swap in the VMaxx from the NA when it gets upgraded to Xida this fall.

Ecotec swap is a decent swap if you want to stick with a 4 banger, but holds no real interest for me.

I'm really leaning toward a Ford V8 swap for the NA, and I'd like to do an LFX V6 swap in the wife's NC, once the swap is a little more proven. The NB is most likely to keep a Mazda four banger... it's all about cheap fun for this one.

The NC is a PRHT.... '13 Club.

Gave it a quick wash last night, and got it up on jackstands today to take a look underneath.

The seller had told me it had a serious oil leak, which he eventually fixed, but not before running it low on oil a couple of times. That's likely what lead to him lunching the motor. The underside is covered with grime consistent with such an oil leak, but otherwise looks really good. One good crunch on the frame rail where someone tried to jack it, but no sign of any crash damage. And no rust.

The seller also told me it has a Torsen, but it appears to be a base model with PEP, which would be unlikely to have a Torsen. It is a 4.3 ratio. I'm going to call Mazda and run the VIN tomorrow, but other than pulling an axle, there's no other way to determine if it's a Torsen.

The paint on the hood and trunk is toast. But the rest of it doesn't look horrible. Don't get me wrong, it's still a 20/20 car at best, but a little elbow grease and some Meguairs products made a marked improvement in the tops of the fenders and quarters...

Before:

36110180105_1c7f6aa21d_c.jpgBefore 1 by Rodan AZ, on Flickr

After:

36110184035_59e4df17a0_c.jpgAfter 1 by Rodan AZ, on Flickr

Going to start looking for a hood and bumper cover after we get back from CO. Getting a matching color is going to be tough, but if I can get away with just painting hood, bumper and trunk, I may just DiY it.

For now, it's tucked away in the back yard. No more distractions 'till after Summer Camp! :p

So, I've been pretty pleased with the performance of the VVT engine in the NA, but I've had no real quantification of the results since it's 2hrs to the nearest dyno, and I just haven't had the time.

Since I've got the tune dialed in pretty well, it was time to start using a tool to quantify the results, so I downloaded Virtual Dyno.

VDyno uses the information from your datalog (essentially, time, RPM and throttle), and the parameters of the car (weight, gearing, coefficient of drag, tire diameter, etc) to calculate HP and TQ number and generate a graph. Stuff like this has always been kind of a mixed bag, but it's been widely reported on various forums that VDyno is a dependable tool for comparison, and thus tuning; and it also gives results pretty close to an actual dyno if used correctly.

So this morning, I went out and tried it out. One critical variable to eliminate is the road... it really needs to be straight and level. And you need to be able to run out a gear on it... 4th (1:1) is the ideal gear for this, but that's not realistic on public roads, so I used 3rd to limit my speed to ~80mph. I can get away with that on a 65mph road if I'm cautious. Of course, I don't have anything close that meets that description while being perfectly level. So I ran both directions to come up with an average.

The other issue I have is altitude. I live at 5000ft, which reduces power considerably. Fortunately, the software allows input of the barometric pressure and temperature, and corrects accordingly.

Now that you're sick of reading, here's the results (corrected for altitude):

36139394475_cba4bb9a51_b.jpgVDyno 1st 7-24-17 corrected by Rodan AZ, on Flickr

Averaged out, I'm looking at ~134hp / 116tq... and I'm pretty pleased with those numbers! :D

Stock HP (for the 2001 engine) was rated at 155 crank. At 75k miles I'm pleased with 134 at the wheels. And there's more on the table, given it has a better intake (with no MAF restriction), and exhaust. Also, I've been tuning to 'safe' generic AFRs and timing... getting it on a dyno and optimizing things should see more improvement.

And now that I can start playing with this tool, I may be able to do some of that optimization myself. It's just cumbersome and time consuming to do it on the street.

Oh, also got the NB's title transferred into my name this morning, and filed the non-op paperwork so I don't have to insure it 'till I get it running.

Edited by rodan