LegacyGT.com

Bought a Miata

So I sorted some stuff out today, and corrected a few mistakes I made in choosing the idle control and VVT outputs from the MS3. No more high idle. In fact, it won't idle without some throttle, but it seems to be running smoothly otherwise. I got it up to operating temp with no leaks or issues, but stopped at that point because I'm still don't have fans. Part should have been here by now... that's what I get for using eBay.

Put the dash back together, hopefully for the last time, except for the 'tombstone' replacement. I don't really like what I ended up with, so it's going to get changed, but it will do until I can get the car running decently.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y185/RodanAZ/Miata/VVT%20swap/DSC_0263_zpsn4vdpygy.jpg

Reading up on idle tuning tonight... gonna dig into that tomorrow morning.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Like I said, that's not permanent... :p

Got a stable idle, and drove the car around the block under it's own power this morning... Things are looking good. Going to get autotune set up and do some driving this afternoon.

Drove it ~50 miles today... running well!

Definitely has more poop than the tired old 1.6 that came out. Sounds pretty good, but louder than I would have liked. A good bit of the noise is the big ass intake filter.

I am officially a very happy camper! :D

I'll try to get some video over the weekend.

Got it back out in its natural habitat today. Still some tuning to do, but already far better than it ever was with the 1.6...

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y185/RodanAZ/Miata/NA%204-15-17%20white%20spar_zpsycnvlinv.jpg

Old pic from before:

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y185/RodanAZ/Miata/ValveCover1.jpg

After:

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y185/RodanAZ/Miata/DSC_0278_zpsabk7lfwf.jpg

Lesson #348 in "following the instructions"...

Had some detonation while driving yesterday, and after looking at the logs, couldn't see anything out of whack. Went back to zero, and realized that while I had synched the timing while cranking, I hadn't re-checked it after I had the engine running.

Turns out I was about 10* advanced on the synch, making my base timing ~20*... no wonder it was pinging! :p

Now it feels much stronger... and it's still not really optimized, especially for my altitude.

The whole standalone thing is a huge learning process. Without the internet support and forums like MT.net, there's no way I would be at the point I'm at.

So, weighed the car today...

2014: Stock 1.6 engine, full tank, soft top, full factory equipment: 2270lbs

2017: VVT 1.8 engine, full tank, hard top, AC, HVAC, carpet and soft top removed: 2155lbs

So, in addition to adding some horsepowers, removed a bit over 100lbs.

• 3 weeks later...

Quick update, since it's been a while...

Car is running great, have ~250 miles with the new (used) engine. I'm really understanding why those have done this swap are so pleased with it... it's a hoot! All the rawness/lightness of the NA with some decent power. I'm pretty sure it's at least as quick as our NC, and it's nowhere near optimized yet.

I've got all my tables interpolated over to 100 kPa (the tune files I used were originally 250kPa for FI cars), and though I haven't started working on fueling yet, it's running really well, and not doing anything stupid, AFR wise.

I've been hung up for a bit getting the VVT dialed in. I'm getting some oscillation when it kicks in, and the occasional uncommanded advance. Still trying to fiddle with the values in TunerStudio to get it right. It (VVT) definitely improves the low-midrange torque!

Anyway, no pics to share at this point, but the thread was getting too far down the page... ;)

Got the VVT dialed in.

After flailing around for a while trying to work from settings that worked for others, I started from scratch and got it dialed in very quickly. Should've just done that from the start... :p

Starting to work on VE and AFR tables. Awesome thing about MS/TunerStudio/MegalogViewer is you can log driving around, and the software will compare the logs to your target AFRs, and work out changes to the VE table which you can then save as a new tune. It will even do it live, as you drive, but I don't trust it that much yet... ;)

Registered for Miatas at MRLS this morning...

Crazy... almost everything Saturday was sold out in less than 7 minutes!

I'm in C for both days, was only able to get the wife into E for Sunday... she's not happy. :(

Hopefully a spot will open up in Saturday E before the event.

That sucks... D is still available for Sunday....

I don't like driving on Sunday makes a terrible long day. All day on track then a 4 hour drive home, did it once never again.

2003 Baja 5MT

2016 Outback 2.5i Premium w/Eyesight

Take Monday off! :D

There's word on MiataTurbo that there's going to be an independent (Trackmasters?) track day on Friday? Might look into that...

yeah I heard about that, actually I got an email from Trackmasters about it... might have to look into it :spin:

2003 Baja 5MT

2016 Outback 2.5i Premium w/Eyesight

Thanks for the tip... got a reply that the wife is on the waiting list for Sat E.

Alternator in the NA shit the bed yesterday...

With no voltage gauge (or warning light), my first indication was when the car wouldn't start after picking up something for the dog at Petco. I ended up walking to the other end of the shopping center to Harbor Freight and bought one of those jumper boxes, which amazingly had enough juice out of the box to start the car. Plugged in the laptop, got TunerStudio up and put a Volts gauge on the TS Dashboard and headed home, watching the volts drop and hoping the car would keep running.

Pulled into the driveway showing 7.8 volts! :eek:

I was really surprised the MS3 kept working at that low a voltage, but happy it got me home!

I had picked up the alternator off another forum used, so I knew it was a crap shoot, but oh well. Probably going to need a new battery as well... :p