Bought a Miata

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well... hold the applause... :p

The brush handle didn't quite work. It didn't have enough strength in the tightening ring to hold against the wind at highway speeds, and allowed the sliding part to compress. So, after some careful measuring, I drilled it and put a cross bolt behind the 'piston' so it couldn't move. Works great now. :lol:

Had a nice drive with some P-car buddies last Saturday. A guy with a FB photog page was taking pics on our local mountain road and got this:

19024987_1674479986192670_7905075573123246975_o.jpg?oh=4be0c0b1253cef05ee32226977e5340a&oe=59E8759F

Pic is soft, and a little overprocessed, like most on FB these days, but not bad. Can't say that I really like the looks of the bikini top, but it does keep the sun off, and I think it's actually quieter at speed than my hard top. Of course, with my stripped out interior, the car is like a drum with the hard top on....

So I'm contemplating buying a MSM, but I hear people either love them or hate them. Mostly because of the 6spd with the 4.10 rear end and the craptastic stock ecu. Not sure what to do :spin:

2003 Baja 5MT

2016 Outback 2.5i Premium w/Eyesight

The only way I would pay a premium for an MSM is if I wanted a really nice NB for an LS swap.

It really wasn't a great car stock. Not enough extra power stock, and if you want to mod it, you're better off replacing most of the turbo system. Most racers hate the 4.10/6sp with forced induction. The 3.63 is much better if you can find one, and I think V8R is working on a Getrag swap that retains the PPF.

Honestly, for a street car, I would buy an NC over an MSM all week long and twice on Sunday. PRHT is awesome for street, but the lack of roll bar options is a real problem if you want to track it. With some digging, you can probably find a clean NC1 and 2.5 swap it cheaper than buying a clean MSM....

I found one for $6k locally. Clean title, 117k miles, MSM pinkish red and the Grand Touring interior. The main reason I'm considering it is it gives me a lot more options for power while being easy to go back stock for CA emissions. Basically I'd go megasquirt intake and exhaust and put about 180whp down. If I did the same thing with my current NB2 I'd be lucky to put 145hp down. I am not willing to spend the necessary money to get the NC ID want, and that's assuming I could actually find a white Club with a soft top and manual transmission.

2003 Baja 5MT

$6k is really cheap for an MSM... I'd be a little concerned.

I do see where you're coming from though. I always forget what a shitshow CA emissions are.

FM has now achieved a CARB# for their NC supercharger, BTW... ;)

$6k is really cheap for an MSM... I'd be a little concerned.

I do see where you're coming from though. I always forget what a shitshow CA emissions are.

FM has now achieved a CARB# for their NC supercharger, BTW... ;)

Yeah it sounds too good to be true, but I won't know if I don't go look at it.

Yeah our emissions are, but with the number of cars we have and with the way our geography causes bad air quality it's a necessary evil.

2003 Baja 5MT

RUN! :lol:

Seriously, I would expect a lot of deferred maintenance items and general neglect with that many owners.

Yeah but I'm not too surprised, Miatas are a car someone test drives loves how sporty it is and then a year or two later can't deal with the impracticalities anymore.

2003 Baja 5MT

Went and looked at it this morning and mechanically it was okay, pulled hard and felt good, but it needed a new top, paint was trashed and he never titled it in his own name. I figured I'd have to put at least 2-3k into it just to be happy which is already where I am at with my 01. As much fun as it was I just couldn't justify the cost, so I passed.

For shits and giggles on the way home we test drove a NC Club Sport PRHT... I think after our new house closes I may start the hunt for a NC with the soft top.... :spin:

2003 Baja 5MT

Yeah but I'm not too surprised, Miatas are a car someone test drives loves how sporty it is and then a year or two later can't deal with the impracticalities anymore.

Kinda like my 350Z. I can barely get my fly fishing gear in it. :lol:

Farking rear cross brace.

For shits and giggles on the way home we test drove a NC Club Sport PRHT... I think after our new house closes I may start the hunt for a NC with the soft top.... :spin:

Hate to say it... but "I told you so"... :p:lol:

Just for giggles we looked at one of these today:

http://carreleasedates2017.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/2016-Dodge-Charger-SRT-Hellcat-Review.jpg

Really like it... but totally not happening! :lol:

Kinda like my 350Z. I can barely get my fly fishing gear in it. :lol:

We looked at a 370Z 'vert before buying our NC. The trunk looked like it might have room for a computer keyboard...

Hate to say it... but "I told you so"... :p:lol:

Just for giggles we looked at one of these today:

http://carreleasedates2017.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/2016-Dodge-Charger-SRT-Hellcat-Review.jpg

Really like it... but totally not happening! :lol:

Oh there's a reason I put off test driving a NC Club for so long, but since we were out being stupid I figured it was worth the look. I'm actually trying to convince my parents to dump their 04 Boxster for a PRHT Club.

2003 Baja 5MT

Bought a '06 NC GT with 69K one owner for 7K. It has the 6 speed and it is such a huge change from my old NA. It feels faster and way more comfortable. Pretty happy with it.
---