LegacyGT.com

Bought a Miata

Flyin Miata just posted a picture with your rig in the back ground on Instagram. I've been looking for your cars in the pictures they've been posting this week.

The red NC with the wide rubber Keith posted on Wed is ours. I don't think it's in the lot pic... I think that was taken while my wife was at the mall today... :p The NA is in the trailer.

I had the fastest lap for naturally aspirated cars as of Thurs, but I think one of the local hot shoes beat my time yesterday... I'll find out tonight. Regardless, I'm very happy with how the NA is running. I'll get some pics, and hopefully video, up after we get home... too much of a PITA on a mobile hotspot! ;)

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The red NC with the wide rubber Keith posted on Wed is ours. I don't think it's in the lot pic... I think that was taken while my wife was at the mall today... :p The NA is in the trailer.

I had the fastest lap for naturally aspirated cars as of Thurs, but I think one of the local hot shoes beat my time yesterday... I'll find out tonight. Regardless, I'm very happy with how the NA is running. I'll get some pics, and hopefully video, up after we get home... too much of a PITA on a mobile hotspot! ;)

Looking forward to it!

2003 Baja 5MT

2016 Outback 2.5i Premium w/Eyesight

Adjusted the ride height today, I forgot how big a pain in the ass that was. Car went up in the air like 5-6 times today :spin:

I'm currently sitting at about 4 15/16" front and 5" rear at the pinch welds.

Edited by Chris GTO TT

2003 Baja 5MT

alignment?

At the moment I'm on the Flyin Miata V-Maxx alignment, but I'm going to eventually go with the 949 Racing Dual Duty alignment. I need to replace the outer tie rod ends before I have the alignment done again.

I'm not too worried about what I did to the alignment on the car since I lifted it by about a half inch which just means I took some camber out of it.

2003 Baja 5MT

I used the 949 'dual duty' numbers as the target for my current alignment on the NA. On the track at FM, the car was working really well, but it really needs a little more spring rate. Nice and neutral with the 949 sways, VMaxx, and 225/45-15 NT01s... :D

Finally home, gonna start going through pics and video...

Couple of teasers:

36039255370_00a1b2da6a_c.jpgPitsThursday by Rodan AZ, on Flickr

Wife on track in her car:

36435853285_74c9d1e73d_c.jpgNCWed1 by Rodan AZ, on Flickr

Using all the track...

36039256690_d0a5e5b691_c.jpgAlltheTrack by Rodan AZ, on Flickr

Yeah that's what I have too. I'm on stock NB2 sways and they are definitely too soft for track work, but border line uncomfortable on the street. Then again I think the dampening is way too low on them.

2003 Baja 5MT

Found an 04 6spd car priced decently, $5000, it has 150k on it but pictures look like it's pretty clean. Pros would be the better chassis stiffening, brakes and less abuse than what my 01 suffered. Cons are the 6spd + the 4.10 diff makes for really short gearing. Higher mileage than what I currently have and I'd have to install another roll bar :spin:

2003 Baja 5MT

Mix and match the best parts, then re-sell the other car... :p

$5k seems a little high for a 150k car, even a late '04, but I don't really know the market there, and if the cosmetics are clean, the mechanicals should be solid so it may be a decent buy.

Mix and match the best parts, then re-sell the other car... :p

$5k seems a little high for a 150k car, even a late '04, but I don't really know the market there, and if the cosmetics are clean, the mechanicals should be solid so it may be a decent buy.

My plan would be to remove the roll hoop and wheels from the black 01 I have and install them on the 04. Then I'd probably buy the Feal coils from Goodwin Racing. I'd like to put a 3.90 torsen in place of the exploding 4.10 fuji unit in the 04.

Around here 03-05 cars typically go for 5500-7000 depending on miles and options. MSM cars you'd actually want to own start at 9k. For this car if it's as clean as the guy I've been texting is claiming it might be a good choice. Obviously the closer I can get it to 4k the happier I'd be.

2003 Baja 5MT

I went and looked at it and i'm kinda torn. The body is in better shape than my car but the paint is pretty faded and rough. It has a canvas top which doesn't currently leak, but is going to need replacement in a year or 2. Mechanically it felt and looked to be in great condition. It feels much more solid than my 01. The engine and transmission have less grittiness. The shorter gears of the 6spd makes it feel quicker than it really is. Shift quality is pretty similar, and who knows what the condition of the boots and bushings is.

I don't know what to do. I was really hoping it'd be either a clear walk away or buy it now! My wife seems to think it's a decently good idea if I can get it cheap enough. :spin:

2003 Baja 5MT

Offer $4k and see what happens? It's really starting to sound like a $4k car anyway... rough paint, high miles...

Bad paint is a real value killer both because of the appearance, and the expense to properly fix. Use that as a bargaining tool...

How's the interior?

So, I did a thing...

35697483923_cf7ea88f8d_c.jpgDSC_0968 by Rodan AZ, on Flickr

36459770956_ed460acf56_c.jpgDSC_0969 by Rodan AZ, on Flickr

36459769766_f50aebe571_c.jpgDSC_0970 by Rodan AZ, on Flickr

So, I noticed the (old) truck was using a lot of oil on our Black Hills/Wisconsin trip, and when we got home, the trailer and underside of the truck were covered in oil. Nothing in the exhaust pipe, though. I traced it down to what the Cummins folks call the 'slobber tube', which is essentially an overflow that just runs down from the crankcase vent and dribbles on the ground. I did some research, cleaned everything up, and replaced some parts in the crankcase vent system. I knew it wasn't the turbo (no oil in the exhaust or intake), and I was crossing my fingers that it wasn't big trouble.

Now the truck has been running fine, and this doesn't occur unless it's working hard, and under boost for extended periods.

Got back from Flyin' Miata and we're covered in oil again. It used ~ 3qts over the 1000 mile trip. And when I say used, I mean sprayed out of the tube. What apparently happens is blowby pressurizes the crankcase and blows the oil out the tube. Over the trip, I had also noticed a decrease in power, and high EGTs... Uh, oh... :(

Forum research indicated most likely a broken ring. Well, I didn't like the idea of putting $10k into an engine rebuild in a truck that's worth $12k...

So, why not spend $60K! :lol:

Seriously, I'm still having heart palpitations over how much we just spent on this truck, but HOLY F'n SH*T is it nice! :D And since the wife and I have decided we really enjoy this mode of travel (and the track time, of course), it'll be nice to be traveling with a full factory warranty. I'm hoping we'll be getting our money's worth. It's certainly a nice place to be...

36459772476_12e65e3fe0_c.jpgDSC_0972 by Rodan AZ, on Flickr

35697479033_68ba4252d8_c.jpgDSC_0971 by Rodan AZ, on Flickr

And it's rated at 900 ft/lbs of torque, stock with a 100k warranty... how can you argue with that! ;)

Venting oil under load/boost makes me wonder about if the piston rings are bad.

Forum research indicated most likely a broken ring.

Me, too... ;)

From my research, it seemed like this was a not uncommon problem with Cummins common rail engines. Kind of disappointing considering their reputation for longevity.

Me, too... ;)

From my research, it seemed like this was a not uncommon problem with Cummins common rail engines. Kind of disappointing considering their reputation for longevity.

Yeah that's why I drive a Ford :hide:

:lol:

2003 Baja 5MT