LegacyGT.com

Bought a Miata

Forgot about Feal... couple of guys who are active on the Miata forums and are hardcore racers are using them with good results.

Truth is if you want damping good enough to control race level spring rates, you're going to spend $1.5-2k on coilovers. Everything else is a compromise.

I like the cost of the Feals combined with talking to Sean from Goodwin Racing for a while really impressed me. Seems like a good place to go to avoid spending $2k on Xidas or Ohlins, and still get 9/10th the performance.:spin:

2003 Baja 5MT

2016 Outback 2.5i Premium w/Eyesight

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sean was who I was thinking of... he posted some good info on the Feals. IIRC it was in his original build thread on CR. Goodwin picked up the Feal line a little later, but I think the specification was developed in part from Sean's experience with them.

His install of the Feals starts here: http://clubroadster.net/vb_forum/89-roadster-projects/44470-my-na-becomes-track-car-build-thread-53.html

• 1 month later...
Would there be a benefit by pointing the air filter toward the front?

"It's within spec" - SOA :rolleyes:

"Depth is only shallowness viewed from the side." - Fredism

"So, how much did it cost for your car to be undriveable :lol:." - Stephen (very close friend)

"You have done so much it would be stupid to go back." - Sunny of Guru Electronics

2018Q50RS | 2015WrxThread | Shrek

949 was getting good results with a passenger side intake...

http://www.miataturbo.net/attachments/engine-performance-56/34097d1328952731-2-0l-bp4w-182whp-ogk20_motor_na.jpg

May require standalone, though... I don't see an MAF in their inlet.

Bleeding the brakes on my NA today... what fun! :p

949 was getting good results with a passenger side intake...

http://www.miataturbo.net/attachments/engine-performance-56/34097d1328952731-2-0l-bp4w-182whp-ogk20_motor_na.jpg

May require standalone, though... I don't see an MAF in their inlet.

Bleeding the brakes on my NA today... what fun! :p

Yeah the best way to go is that U bend cold side intake, but it requires megasquirt or something you can run speed density on. I may eventually go megasquirt, but still want to stick with CA legal parts so all I have to do is put the stock ECU back in.

Bleeding the brakes on these cars is really easy though.

I have a CAI off my 99 10Th AE still, if anyone is interested. I'm thinking of getting a project to drive in the summer and another Miata would be great! Though if i can snag an old mini mmmmmm.... Haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oh sure now he tells me :spin:

2003 Baja 5MT

Some how the bolts which holds on the water pump pully came loose and it threw the belt off the water pump and alternator. Fortunately I was less than a mile from my parents house. My dad got in the old truck, and towed me to their house. Replaced the belts and all seems to be good. I'm so glad it happened so close to their house.

2003 Baja 5MT

Everyone needs at least one Miata. ;)

:confused:

"It's within spec" - SOA :rolleyes:

"Depth is only shallowness viewed from the side." - Fredism

"So, how much did it cost for your car to be undriveable :lol:." - Stephen (very close friend)

"You have done so much it would be stupid to go back." - Sunny of Guru Electronics

2018Q50RS | 2015WrxThread | Shrek

I'm getting rather frustrated with the belts on this thing. We were heading to run a few errands this morning and heard a bit of a high pitched squeal, higher than normal belt squeal. Being cautious after the last belt fiasco we headed home and grabbed the spec.B for the errands.

After getting home I pulled the Miata into the garage and heard the squeal again. It sounds like a bearing in the accessory system letting go but when I pulled everything apart all the bearings felt normal. None of them had odd drag or excessive play. The only thing I can figure is the Gates water pump I got when I did the timing belt has a defective bearing.

2003 Baja 5MT

So younger OEM belts? My mechanic had put an aftermarket alternator belt when he did my timing belt and it squealed horribly. Once I got an OEM belt it fixed everything. I read some threads on Miata.net and this was their suggestion.
---

I'm running gates belts for everything including the timing belt. My real concern is the noise was much higher pitched than a normal belt squeal. I'm wondering if I got a bad water pump from gates/rockauto.

2003 Baja 5MT

So, today I did a little archaeology in my back yard to unearth my engine hoist.... Literally unearthed, as it hasn't been used in a long time... like almost 20 years! 10 years in it's current location and it had sunk into the ground.

I can't remember how long I've had it, but I think I bought it to pull the motor in my Fox Mustang, and I actually found a pic where it looks like the stickers are new. This was in 1991... The car was being shot for a magazine feature the next week, so I decided to pull the motor and paint the motor, engine compartment and under hood over the weekend! the things you do when you're young... :p

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y185/RodanAZ/Miata/Engine%20pull_zpsilakmgn3.jpg

Here's what the hoist looks like today...

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y185/RodanAZ/Miata/DSC_1833_zpsvotqfihq.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y185/RodanAZ/Miata/DSC_1835_zpsuozscnet.jpg

The original steel casters were rusted solid, so I had to cut them off, and weld on some new ones I picked up at HF. The ram still works, and holds weight, so I think I'm in business.

And what does this have to do with Miatae, you might ask?

Hopefully, I'm going to be picking up a VVT motor later this week to head down the 1.8 swap rabbit hole... :D

Do yourself a favor and get a megasquirt when you do the swap. Running the 1.8 on the 1.6 electronics was a massive waste of my time and money. Otherwise enjoy the VVT torque! It makes these cars so much more fun. You can roll on the throttle at any point in the Rev range have good pull.

2003 Baja 5MT