LegacyGT.com

Bought a Miata

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I really like driving the car on the street as a roadster, but wanted the hardtop for the track. I still have to bodge up the window seals, and it's going to need a cut and buff... it is a garage paint job, after all... :p

But, the color is on... :D

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y185/RodanAZ/Miata/DSC_9440_zpsudwj7puh.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y185/RodanAZ/Miata/DSC_9438_zpsrfik6mpv.jpg

I really like driving the car on the street as a roadster, but wanted the hardtop for the track. I still have to bodge up the window seals, and it's going to need a cut and buff... it is a garage paint job, after all... :p

But, the color is on... :D

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y185/RodanAZ/Miata/DSC_9440_zpsudwj7puh.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y185/RodanAZ/Miata/DSC_9438_zpsrfik6mpv.jpg

We have twin cars, save for yours is a track and mines a street car

I know a couple guys were cheering for a black top, but I'm glad I went with red...

A couple of glamour shots from this morning:

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y185/RodanAZ/Miata/Miata%2010-17-15-3_zpsip7y683f.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y185/RodanAZ/Miata/Miata%2010-17-15-4_zps78f5718r.jpg

At the local C&C:

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y185/RodanAZ/Miata/10-17-15%20CandC_zpsha3nexlq.jpg

I think it will look really good with the black 'street' wheels back on. The NT-01s are going into storage 'till it's time for a trackday.

It looks good, but I still say black, with a black windshield frame would have been better!

Since this is my thread we all know I'm right :hide:

:lol:

It's become more than that... it's the LGT Miata thread... :D

:lol:

It's become more than that... it's the LGT Miata thread... :D

It's still my name at the top of the page :p

Your car makes me miss my NA, but then I walk out of the garage and look at my NB2 and I'm happy again :)

2003 Baja 5MT

2016 Outback 2.5i Premium w/Eyesight

• 2 weeks later...
Replaced the NB2 ignition coils with the $42 each ones from O'Reilly got rid of the random light miss fire and smoothed out the idle. Lifetime warranty on them so if they ever go out as long as I own the car they'll replace them free of charge!

2003 Baja 5MT

So glad I replaced the coil packs! The car is no longer a dog when it's cold. NB2's have a butterfly valve in the intake manifold for cold emissions, and replacing the coil packs seems to have really lessened the effects of the valves being closed. Additionally I ran the AC today and the car is so much less affected by the compressor running. I don't know if it picked up any top end power but the low end and every day driveability is like night and day!

2003 Baja 5MT

Just read up on it. Why the change? T5 is semi-synthetic.

The one big reason why I use T6, after trying all the other synthetic and non synthetic oils, is because it really quiets down my valve train. I know it's not he same for everyone but in my case it has worked great.

---

what plugs you running?

NGK ZFR6F11 it's an extended reach plug that effectively advances timing for NB's since you can't adjust timing without Megasquirt or something similar.

just switched from Rotella T6 to T5 10W-30. Cheaper than the T6

I run Penzoil Platinum 5w-30 in mine. Apparently the VVT prefers slightly lighter oil.

2003 Baja 5MT

Just read up on it. Why the change? T5 is semi-synthetic.

The one big reason why I use T6, after trying all the other synthetic and non synthetic oils, is because it really quiets down my valve train. I know it's not he same for everyone but in my case it has worked great.

Just cause it is a bit cheaper and wanted to give it a try. I am not an oil Nazi on which one to use but an advocate for changing it at a timely manner. However, I have switched to Rotella to all my vehicles.

• 2 weeks later...

FM offers several levels of suspension, and were arguably one of the first to offer 'track' suspension with the now superceded AFCO coilovers. The have shock/spring combos, the VMaxx in two varieties, and the new Fox coilovers. FM is one of the few outfits to actually test and develop their products specifically for Miatae (949 is the other)...

All that's a long way of saying there are several levels of "track ready". Casual HPDEers would probably be perfectly satisfied with spring/shock combos or VMaxx. I have the VMaxx Classic, and it's a good compromise for street/track use, if you're mostly on the street, or you're not pushing hard on R comp tires. I plan to change to either 949's Xidas, or the FM Fox down the road, but don't have $2k to drop on suspension right now. The FM Fox should be good enough for hardcore HPDEers or even casual 'racers'. High level racers will probably be looking for more, but that's beyond 99% of us.

I rode in an NC with the FM Fox last summer, and it was pretty impressive. Especially after they told me the spring rates. I think the wife's NC is going to get a set, when I can come up with $2k... :lol:

Anyway, long post, but if you're anything other than a hard core racer, FM sells something that will work. And the VMaxx is good enough for casual HPDE. If you're running R-comps, and drive well/fast enough to make use of them, you'll want more spring rate, which means FM Fox, or 949 Xida...

I don't really have a straight answer for you because it really depends on what the goals for the car are. The V-Maxx Classics like what I have are not remotely a 'real' track suspension, springs are too soft damping is too low. They are a very nice budget street leaning coilovers which are competent on the track. I have stock anti-roll bars with 15x8 wheels with Bridgestone RE-11A tires and for the track they are far too soft, with lots of body roll. On the street I can feel they are under dampened giving them a fairly harsh feeling in spite of their lower spring rates. I bought them because they offered a great entry point for all inclusive suspension. Once I get a few other things sorted out I'd love to go with the Feal 441 Road Race suspension with more street friendly spring rates.

2003 Baja 5MT

Forgot about Feal... couple of guys who are active on the Miata forums and are hardcore racers are using them with good results.

Truth is if you want damping good enough to control race level spring rates, you're going to spend $1.5-2k on coilovers. Everything else is a compromise.