LegacyGT.com

Bought a Miata

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This particular event is sponsored by FM, and the track is a relatively low speed (all 2nd gear, except for the front straight and 'sweeper') kart track. Since it's not a sanctioned event, they let folks run without approved roll bars.

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c169/qwik93awd/Track_maps/GrandJunctionMotorSpeedway.jpg

At most HPDEs, at least here in Phoenix, we'd have to run with the top up, but factory rollover protection is OK for the street car groups. NC is the third gen Miata ('06-15).

Edit: soft top NCs have options for approved roll bars that work with the soft top or removeable hard top. Ours is the PRHT (power retractable hard top), and right now there's no real option for an approved bar. There is one, but it requires removing the trunk lid at the track, and running bolt in braces to receivers in the trunk. Obviously not realistic...

An 80s Indycar driver, Mark Dismore and his family, have a kart track east of Indy. Mile long and I've seen 100 mph on my track computer on that course. It's a mile long with some pretty fast sweepers (70 mph). The one mile track is FAST. Nothing to make you pucker your butt like wheel to wheel karting at those speeds. Great fun even if a little terrifying at times. It is the most kick ass kart track I've ever seen. Even Road America's track can't compare. Great stuff.

https://www.facebook.com/NewCastleMotorsportsPark

Most of the NC guys that are serious about tracking are running a removeable hard top. You may be right about the soft top NC, as I haven't researched it closely, since it wasn't applicable to our car. I know they do make bars for the soft top NC, though. Not sure if the top still works.

The ND is going to be a b*tch to fit a roll bar. It was one of the things talked about at Summer Camp, as they had an ND there. There's very little space under the soft top for a bar...

I would bet the faster karts get close to 100mph on the Grand Junction track. I was topping out ~70, and I'm sure the V8 and turbo cars were in the 90s.

I've gone plenty fast on bikes, but I can only image what 100+ feels like with your ass 3" off the pavement! :lol:

edit: the stock rollover protection is structural. It's just not very tall...

I would bet the faster karts get close to 100mph on the Grand Junction track. I was topping out ~70, and I'm sure the V8 and turbo cars were in the 90s.

I've gone plenty fast on bikes, but I can only image what 100+ feels like with your ass 3" off the pavement! :lol:

edit: the stock rollover protection is structural. It's just not very tall...

Usually my fiberglass seat was about an inch off the pavement. I tried lowering my seat once at my local track to deal with some handling issues. Didn't work out. By the end of the first race the bottom of the seat had been worn through by the pavement and I was having to try to hold myself up above the bottom of the seat so my ass didn't get rubbed raw by pavement burn. I did have to buy a new racesuit for modesty purposes after that weekend, though, as well as a new seat

I wonder if the stock rollbars for the NC and ND are even substantial enough to withstand a rollover or are they just for show?

they are decent but most people wont pass the broomstick test with a helmet on. If you plant on driving past 8/10ths on a road course, a taller roll bar with forward support is definitely a wise purchase.

they are decent but most people wont pass the broomstick test with a helmet on. If you plant on driving past 8/10ths on a road course, a taller roll bar with forward support is definitely a wise purchase.

Unless you're used to racing karts. :lol:

I still have a white helmet with a black rubber racing stripe from when my motor seized on a straight going 60 mph with a kart a few inches of my rear bumper. Up and over me he went. Drove up the back of my kart, my back and my helmet, and his rear tire left a nice stripe on the back and top of my helmet. Hurt for a couple of weeks.

Watch Europeon historic racing vs US historic racing. Here we require the old cars to be modified with substantial rollbars. No so in Europe. And in Europe they actually RACE the old beasts as opposed to what passes for racing in the USA. Just different tolerances for risk.

Yeah but very expensive too their single diagonal is $300 more than my NA Hard Dog Hard Core bar. I would have gone back with Hard Dog but the NB Hard Core bar doesn't include a built-in harness bar.

2003 Baja 5MT

2016 Outback 2.5i Premium w/Eyesight

Yeah, though I got my Hard Dog during a free shipping sale so reality is the difference total would be more like $200. The GT3 bar from Blackbird is like $825 before shipping and tax :eek:

2003 Baja 5MT

2016 Outback 2.5i Premium w/Eyesight

• 2 weeks later...