LegacyGT.com

Bought a Miata

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My Brother in laws Ford had a $10k rebuild, due to boost of 42 psi damaging the headbolts while towing up a hill.

Unsure why it over boosted to 41psi. But, I think the common theme here is that turbos are terrible for longevity.

Which Ford? 6.0? The 6.0 Powerstroke has a poor reputation, that IMHO, Ford has never quite shaken. Doesn't help that the newer Fords require cab removal for significant engine work. Sad, since the 7.3 was pretty much bulletproof. Of course we're talking turbo diesels here...

The Ford engines with spark plugs don't ever have problems... especially with the spark plugs. Not ever... :p

Which Ford? 6.0? The 6.0 Powerstroke has a poor reputation, that IMHO, Ford has never quite shaken. Doesn't help that the newer Fords require cab removal for significant engine work. Sad, since the 7.3 was pretty much bulletproof. Of course we're talking turbo diesels here...

The Ford engines with spark plugs don't ever have problems... especially with the spark plugs. Not ever... :p

Pretty sure it was the 6.0 powerstroke. And it did require Cab removal for the engine work.

Threw some LED headlight bulbs in this week... They're a little more blue than I'd like but still looks great!

35851753483_d04cf055c5_b.jpg

IMG_20170818_201734 by christobal65, on Flickr

Also got a picture with the Exploder behind it.

36522607201_2c9673377a_b.jpg

IMG_20170818_201845 by christobal65, on Flickr

2003 Baja 5MT

2016 Outback 2.5i Premium w/Eyesight

Nice.

I really like the NB2 lights... I think when I replace the bumper on our '99 I'm going to swap over to the NB2 bumper cover and lights.

Did you polish the lenses? If so, just curious what you used? I tried it on our 'Vette a few years ago, and the results were not very impressive.

On the home front, took the new truck out to a CAT scale to get axle weights... and it weighs 8600lbs! :eek: 700lbs heavier than the '04. And I just bolted on another 112lbs (I weighed it) of trailer hitch! :p

I also hooked up the trailer (empty) and towed it around for a bit to get some break in miles with light towing. I'm really impressed with the Aisin transmission in this thing. Getting up to highway speed is much smoother, and it doesn't do any hunting... just gets in the right gear and pulls. Combined with the exhaust brake, it also does a great job of maintaining speed downhill as well. I used to be a diehard manual fan for towing, but this thing is already changing my mind.

The truck was pretty bored with 5000lbs of trailer. Went up the local radiator busting grade (7 miles of 6%) on cruise at 70... never even pulled max boost. :lol:

Edited by rodan

I have polished the lenses a few times. I'm a big fan of wet sanding, and polishing. If they are bad I start with 800ish grit then move to 1000 and finish with 2000 grit. Then I use a plastic polish like Plastix. Next time I plan to put on some clear Lamin-x covers on to help keep them clearer longer. Once the new house is finished I'll be able to park it inside so they shouldn't take as much abuse.

Modern autos are truly amazing. The tow haul modes on them really work wonders, they are smarter and faster.

2003 Baja 5MT

Got my wife signed up for the Friday trackday after some frustration with the lack of communication from Trackmasters...

Now I'm trying to find out if I can drop my trailer in the paddock Thursday night. Still haven't got an answer from Trackmasters, and no one at MRLS will pick up a phone...

:lol: yeah but your shorty console and dash look great.

Mine has AC half the time but then the compressor kicks off and stays off for 5 minutes. I have to cycle the button to get it to work again.

I really need to pull the motor, replace a bunch of oil seals, the clutch and motor mounts. I probably also need replace the diff bushings. My transmission likes to stick in reverse on occasion and the exhaust is getting ready blow out the welds on the muffler.

2003 Baja 5MT

So today I installed the sway bar in the truck... last equipment upgrade for the new truck to have it ready for camper duty. Here it is compared to a stock NA rear sway... :lol:

36950049431_e719860313_c.jpgDSC_0989 by Rodan AZ, on Flickr

And I made an exhaust tip for MRLS. The Miata weekend is 105dB, but the Trackmasters day on Friday is 92dB. I think I'll make it, but just in case, from what I've seen this should be worth 1-2dB if I need it...

37091453405_396dc43fdc_c.jpgDSC_0991 by Rodan AZ, on Flickr

37091453935_e4f3d3ac41_c.jpgDSC_0992 by Rodan AZ, on Flickr

And for giggles, I can go to bosuzoku car shows... :p