LegacyGT.com

Bought a Miata

Just got back from driving from Charlotte NC to Sierra Vista and back the other and will need to replace my alt as well. When I got to AZ I was thinking the long trip across Texas at speeds of 75 to 90 for such a long time perhaps the motor was starting to let go. The following day I started it up and it sounded like shit so I did an immediate oil change and it seemed to help a bit but no shavings. I was perplexed but had faith in my little buddy.

Well, upon making it back to the folks house in ATL I had sometime to look and noticed the bolt that is used to tension the alt had back all the way out and was luckily pinned between the AC lines and the nut block. So, I was like ok that is the noise. Still not sure how I lucked out on the tension not letting go while I was across Texas somehow. Revoed the bolt and started her up after a fresh oil change, noise was still there. Was like damn, it's coming from the front of the motor, perhaps a cam bolt has come lose. Further inspection and conclusion. Without the tension it was pulling on the alt bearing a weird way and I'll just need a new alt!!!!

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just got back from driving from Charlotte NC to Sierra Vista and back the other and will need to replace my alt as well. When I got to AZ I was thinking the long trip across Texas at speeds of 75 to 90 for such a long time perhaps the motor was starting to let go. The following day I started it up and it sounded like shit so I did an immediate oil change and it seemed to help a bit but no shavings. I was perplexed but had faith in my little buddy.

Well, upon making it back to the folks house in ATL I had sometime to look and noticed the bolt that is used to tension the alt had back all the way out and was luckily pinned between the AC lines and the nut block. So, I was like ok that is the noise. Still not sure how I lucked out on the tension not letting go while I was across Texas somehow. Revoed the bolt and started her up after a fresh oil change, noise was still there. Was like damn, it's coming from the front of the motor, perhaps a cam bolt has come lose. Further inspection and conclusion. Without the tension it was pulling on the alt bearing a weird way and I'll just need a new alt!!!!

Washed it and adjusted the top hopefully it seals better on the header now. Not sure what else to try. I have the latches as tight as possible and tried the adjustments prescribed for the hardtop.

2003 Baja 5MT

2016 Outback 2.5i Premium w/Eyesight

I'm contemplating picking up a hardtop. It's black with defroster and headliner for $1000, but I'm just not sure about spending the money on a car I'm not sure I want to keep.

Also Moti at Blackbird Fabworx is having some fun...

https://www.instagram.com/p/BUsqYfXFhsF/

Edited by Chris GTO TT

2003 Baja 5MT

what would you replace it with?

I honestly don't have any idea. Lately I feel like I've made the right adulting decisions with cars, but I'm not happy. While the Miata is a ton of fun to beat on its tiresome, loud and annoying to drive for anything other than fun. Beyond that my Miata is a bit of a piece of shit as it wasn't ever taken care of until I bought it. As a result I have a hard time spending money on the fun thing when I have so many maintenance issues I should resolve.

One option I have is to sell the Miata and the Exploder get a 3rd gen Outback as a beater and then find turbo Subaru to break ringlands and my heart. Another thought is I have access to a 36k mile 1995 Caprice with the LT1 which I could build as a cheapo version of the one Icon made a while back. The reality is I don't know what to do as like I've said I haven't been too happy with the choices I've made car hobby wise lately.

2003 Baja 5MT

Miata is a great weekend toy, or track toy, but not a great DD. A hardtop does make it better, but it's still a raw experience compared to more modern cars.

IMHO, the key is to figure out what you want to do to have fun... if it's autoX or trackdays, or even canyon carving, it's hard to beat a Miata. It won't raise many eyebrows at the C & C, though. And it's not much for impromptu stoplight challenges. At least not without a motor swap. :p

You could always follow Moti's lead... ;)

Miata is a great weekend toy, or track toy, but not a great DD. A hardtop does make it better, but it's still a raw experience compared to more modern cars.

IMHO, the key is to figure out what you want to do to have fun... if it's autoX or trackdays, or even canyon carving, it's hard to beat a Miata. It won't raise many eyebrows at the C & C, though. And it's not much for impromptu stoplight challenges. At least not without a motor swap. :p

You could always follow Moti's lead... ;)

I'm mostly okay with a more raw experience than a modern car, but the wind noise ever since I've replaced the soft top is unbearable. It's almost as loud as having the top down :spin:

Yeah I'm not sure what I want to do for fun. I bought the Miata to do track days, yet I only do 1-2 a year. I'm not a big fan of our local autox as its $60 for 4 minutes of track time, and if want to run more than once or twice a year I have to drive to Stockton:eek: Spending 1.5-2 hours in the Miata at 70mph just sounds painfully annoying :lol::lol:

My past cars are: 1987 Starion ESi-R, 3000GT VR-4, 1992 Explorer 4x4 (daily driver), 2001 Nissan Maxima AE SE, 08 Legacy spec.B, 90 Miata, 01 Miata, and 07 V8 Explorer.

All the other fun cars I've had were more all around cars than the Miata is, so I think that's part of my struggles.

Miata with an ecotec swap ftw :)

roommate has one with that motor on ohlins and stickies...

I love living in CA but unfortunately this means motor swaps aren't really a possibility. I had actually done a 1.8 swap on my 90 Miata, but sold it so I wouldn't have to deal with potential smog issues. Besides if I were to do a motor swap I'd do a K24 swap or a GM LFX V6. Of course even if I could do a motor swap it brings me back to being unwilling to blow money on the Miata :spin:

2003 Baja 5MT

If V8R ever gets their LFX swap CARB'd, that could be the way to go with a nice NB.

A hardtop will cut the noise level quite a bit. I'm at the point where I'm hardtop or no top (removed the soft top). It's a bit of a PITA to r/r the top, though, and then you need a place to put it. I also have a Project G bikini top that I need to get set up so I can try it out.

If your NB is rough... have you thought about Exocet? :D

Yea I think i'm still making the most power (outside of the guys who developed the swap) out of the guys ive seen do it. The motor will happily accept boost due to factory forged internals as well.

torque curve is my favorite part as the car still isnt that fast. As for the road noise, yeah the only benefit to putting up the soft top is not getting wet when it rains. Otherwise its stuffy, and pretty much just as loud.

I prefer to run my home made bikini top, keeps you cool in the heat, and it looks sweet.

%5Bimg%5Dhttp%3A//i.imgur.com/vWuWtwi.jpg[/img]

The issue with the top is it doesn't seem to be sealing right at the windshield header. I have the top latches tight as possible and still has a bit of a gap. If I could get that gap sealed properly it'd be alright. It doesn't leak water just lots of wind noise.

2003 Baja 5MT

The issue with the top is it doesn't seem to be sealing right at the windshield header. I have the top latches tight as possible and still has a bit of a gap. If I could get that gap sealed properly it'd be alright. It doesn't leak water just lots of wind noise.

Are you running a roll bar?

I had to make a pvc pipe that wedges in between the latch handle at the front bow to the roll bar top hoop. Need it for the bikini top but it helps keep that front bow sealed on the soft top too.

I had to make a pvc pipe that wedges in between the latch handle at the front bow to the roll bar top hoop. Need it for the bikini top but it helps keep that front bow sealed on the soft top too.

Interesting...

I never had a problem with the soft top, but I need to make that piece for my bikini top. My front bow is missing the 'handle' piece, so I was going to weld something up and use a piece of aluminum tubing.

I do, but it's not touching the top.

2003 Baja 5MT

The soft top frame should hold the front bow against the header. The pipe is necessary on the bikini top because there's no frame. It sounds like there may be a problem with the soft top frame itself. Have you checked all the hinges to see if they're intact?

And, changing the subject, we just returned from a two week trip in our truck/camper hauling our NC to the Black Hills, then WI and back to AZ...

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y185/RodanAZ/Trips/Wisconsin%202017/NCRushmore1_zpsmatu1rve.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y185/RodanAZ/Trips/Wisconsin%202017/NCBison2_zpsduhknvoj.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y185/RodanAZ/Trips/Wisconsin%202017/RushmoreNight_zpsjzldaphf.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y185/RodanAZ/Trips/Wisconsin%202017/NCDT1_zpswge2cj7l.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y185/RodanAZ/Trips/Wisconsin%202017/WillowRiver1_zpserq2qsrq.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y185/RodanAZ/Trips/Wisconsin%202017/JGG1_zpsuvgkkg92.jpg

Great trip! Put around 500 miles on the Miata, 250 on my bike, and 3700 on the truck... burned 435 gallons of diesel! :eek:

The soft top frame should hold the front bow against the header. The pipe is necessary on the bikini top because there's no frame. It sounds like there may be a problem with the soft top frame itself. Have you checked all the hinges to see if they're intact?

And, changing the subject, we just returned from a two week trip in our truck/camper hauling our NC to the Black Hills, then WI and back to AZ...

Great trip! Put around 500 miles on the Miata, 250 on my bike, and 3700 on the truck... burned 435 gallons of diesel! :eek:

Yeah we inspected everything when we removed the frame to put the new top on. The old top was fine it just leaked water at the rain rail and had a tear near the glass.

Looks like a great trip! Really wish I could justify a nice NC2 club like yours!

2003 Baja 5MT

Finally got my bikini top on. It's a Project-G that I traded my soft top for last year when I removed it. I didn't like the PVC pipe center support described by the instructions (and pictured in SpecialB's post above, so I came up with something different. I used an adjustable car washing brush with the ends cut off, and welded a curved piece on one end for the roll bar. The front locates over an existing bolt in the header (though I may fabricate something a little more robust down the road).

Before (stock photo):

AFWS1112-700.jpg

After:

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y185/RodanAZ/Miata/Bikinirod1_zpsf9tbcvyl.jpg

My TigFu is improving... :p

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y185/RodanAZ/Miata/Bikinirod2_zps64s8cn3g.jpg

On the car:

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y185/RodanAZ/Miata/Bikini1_zpsigdygquu.jpg