LegacyGT.com

Bought a Miata

I'd love a V8 Miata, but they pose the same problem as my 1.8 swapped 90, impossible to register in CA. Besides there is something about having to Rev a lower powered motor to really have fun. I think the NB2 makes enough power and torque to really have fun.

2003 Baja 5MT

2016 Outback 2.5i Premium w/Eyesight

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Moderators

I keep wanting to buy a second vehicle that's fun...need to stop modding the outback and may as well pick up something small and fun and turn it into a track bitch. Every time I think about it an older miata just seems to be the right answer.

That said, a '91 miata piloted by a friend tried to kill me in college. They aren't meant to fly upside down in the air and into a thicket of trees :lol:

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

I keep wanting to buy a second vehicle that's fun...need to stop modding the outback and may as well pick up something small and fun and turn it into a track bitch. Every time I think about it an older miata just seems to be the right answer.

That said, a '91 miata piloted by a friend tried to kill me in college. They aren't meant to fly upside down in the air and into a thicket of trees :lol:

You survived, so it did it's job of protecting you OK! :spin::lol:

---

• Moderators
You survived, so it did it's job of protecting you OK! :spin::lol:

Very true. I've actually said many times that given the outcome I wouldn't have chosen any other car to be in. We went end over end into the trees and I woke up still buckled in but with my whole upper body bent down so that I was under the dash / in the footwell. No idea how I ended up there. Friend was flipping out thinking I was dead (was knocked out). Woke up and asked him if he could get out of the car, and we both just kind of stepped out over the doors because the roof was completely gone :eek:

Was in shock I think, but physically fine except for minor scrapes and a big ass bump on my head. One of my lives gone, for sure!

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

I also don't understand why people are so pissed about the 155hp. It's going to weigh about as much as a 1.8 NA with more hp and TQ than a NB2. Sounds like a fun car to me.

I do. But then again, I live at 5000ft.

Our NC with 167hp is much better than an NA/NB, but is still marginal with two on board and loaded up when passing on mountain roads. And we still have yet to see the actual weight of the USA spec ND. I don't think anyone expected 200hp (which would have been a world beater in the ND), but 175hp certainly wasn't an unreasonable expectation when most 'performance' 2 liter engines are making 200hp. IMHO, sales are going to suffer with the non-enthusiast.

As for V8s, having driven a V8 NB, and ridden in V8 NA and NC, I really liked it in the NC, but a high revving motor seems to be more in character for the NA/NB. Though, I gotta say, in any V8 Miata, floor it, and hilarity ensues... :D

I'm really interested in the LFX swap for my NA, but in reality, it's probably going to get a 1.8 and a Rotrex...

BTW, V8R is working on CARB exemption for the LFX swap... ;)

I get what you are saying, but passing power has never been what a Miata was about. My NA even with the 1.8 swap was certainly lacking in punch at speeds over 65mph but today driving my NB at 70+ I stomped on the throttle in 5th and it felt a lot better when I was trying to get around a car that was blocking me out. I think the ND will be better than most people think with only 155hp. VVT NB's only make 145HP and weigh more than what Mazda is claiming the ND will be, I remain hopeful. :)

2003 Baja 5MT

• I Donated
I get what you are saying, but passing power has never been what a Miata was about. My NA even with the 1.8 swap was certainly lacking in punch at speeds over 65mph but today driving my NB at 70+ I stomped on the throttle in 5th and it felt a lot better when I was trying to get around a car that was blocking me out. I think the ND will be better than most people think with only 155hp. VVT NB's only make 145HP and weigh more than what Mazda is claiming the ND will be, I remain hopeful. :)

This. All of this

I haven't driven the 90's early 2000s Miata's. But, I did drive a Spec Miata at Leguna Seca for a few hours - it was plenty fast.

I think there is a difference between what's fast at the track and whats comfortable for a loaded car passing on Mountain roads.

I am surprised by how little HP the new engine has (but most of Mazda's offerings are like that). Honda's 4 cylinders in the RSX and RSX type S were 160 / 200 hp 10 years ago. Not sure why Mazda isn't upping their HP.

Back on track - looking forward to seeing these wheels on

http://www.bawcforums.org/vbb/images/smilies/suspect.gif

L16-52020.jpg

Edited by Rhitter

I just don't understand the thought process that leads one to conclude that a Miata is somehow ruined or 'not a Miata' if it had 175-200hp...

It's just not true.

I agree with you on that. 175hp on an NA weight car would be pretty awesome.

2003 Baja 5MT

Parked it in the backyard with the blue Miata.

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/02/10/e02313ce6395b977000d8973ae3ec61c.jpg

Also got this supposedly magic gear oil

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/02/10/f0c707d07ed5635f24502f1b165b854b.jpg

2003 Baja 5MT

The Motorcraft stuff is great in my NA (5sp), didn't make as much of a difference in the NC (6sp). Some claim the Redline is better for track use and high temps.

I have red line mt90 in my 90 and no real complaints other than its still fairly notchy when it's cold out but that seems to be the norm for Redline in all the cars I've used that gear oil in.

I use redline for everything in my spec miata (race car). Its the fluid of choice among most of the racers in my conference. A year of running with the oil and it was still clear when took it out...my buddy put it in his car, then lawnmower. a bit of a penny-pincher. :eek:

I use redline for everything in my spec miata...my buddy put it in his car, then lawnmower. a bit of a penny-pincher. :eek:

I put that $hit in everything

"It's within spec" - SOA :rolleyes:

"Depth is only shallowness viewed from the side." - Fredism

"So, how much did it cost for your car to be undriveable :lol:." - Stephen (very close friend)

"You have done so much it would be stupid to go back." - Sunny of Guru Electronics

2018Q50RS | 2015WrxThread | Shrek