LegacyGT.com

Any BMW fan bois here ?

• Mega Users
Considering that an N54 without turbos or other accessories is going to set you back around $12K if you melt one down I'd say there is quite a difference.

No coincidence that the used 528xi are in higher demand.....A dealership I'm going to has an 08 535xi on the lot with 106k for 14k. The two 528xis that I'll be looking at both have higher miles, and with a high sticker. The SA said they are having trouble pushing the 35s off the lots because reliability concerns.

"Remember Danny - Two wrongs don't make a right but three rights make a left."

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply
No coincidence that the used 528xi are in higher demand.....A dealership I'm going to has an 08 535xi on the lot with 106k for 14k. The two 528xis that I'll be looking at both have higher miles, and with a high sticker. The SA said they are having trouble pushing the 35s off the lots because reliability concerns.

I wonder the reliability issues are? From what I understand the N54 is a pretty decent engine that lasts when taken care of. But the real reality is that buying any car (regardless of engine type) that doesn't have the words Toyota or Honda in the name with over 100K on the clock is asking for trouble. As for the 528, I couldn't handle driving a car that big that only has 230hp.

Non CPO'd 35s that is...........

It'd be hard for me to even consider any CPO _35. The CPO warranty starts from the factory.

If today you bought an affordable CPO 08 335 with 80 k miles, your warranty is up in 2014 or in 20k miles, whichever comes first. That doesn't really instill a sense of confidence in me.

I wonder the reliability issues are? From what I understand the N54 is a pretty decent engine that lasts when taken care of. But the real reality is that buying any car (regardless of engine type) that doesn't have the words Toyota or Honda in the name with over 100K on the clock is asking for trouble. As for the 528, I couldn't handle driving a car that big that only has 230hp.

Ask onedoublen. He's had quite a bit of common issues with his such as rattling waste gates.

• Mega Users

I think its only 220hp:mad:.

I can't wait.....:rolleyes:

"Remember Danny - Two wrongs don't make a right but three rights make a left."

It'd be hard for me to even consider any CPO _35. The CPO warranty starts from the factory.

If today you bought an affordable CPO 08 335 with 80 k miles, your warranty is up in 2014 or in 20k miles, whichever comes first. That doesn't really instill a sense of confidence in me.

I'm with you on the warranty, as I know fixing any euro car doesn't come cheap. The service manager where I bought my car was telling me that it almost makes him want to cry when he has to give people a bill for $7K on a car with no warranty. He said that his customers always think they are getting a great deal when they by a used car for 20K that at one time used to cost 60K. Up until they have that $7k bill.

I would squarely blame the factory maintenance schedule for this problem. Trying to skimp on regular oil changes on a turbocharged engine to maintain some illusion of convenience to the customer, and savings to BMW USA serves neither party very well.

The OCI's were longer than that when I left BMW. More like 10-15K depending on what the oil monitor came up with. The monitor didn't actually test the oil, it just guestimated based on driving style and conditions.

The actual engines and tranny's are solid in terms of their mechanics. It's all the components attached to them that seem to be plagued with all sorts of production gremlins (turbo's, injectors, pumps, sensors, harnesses, etc. etc.). But the actual N54 engine itself? Pretty bomb proof IMO.

And my dad's car is an '08 528i. While it's a good 600lbs lighter than my car, yes, it is definitely underpowered for a car of that size for that year. 230hp in a 3.0l I-6 in 2008 for a luxury car is kinda weak. It's a very smooth engine with a pretty flat torque curve, but the power is definitely lacking for such a large car, something I absolutely notice whenever I drive it.

The OCI's for the turbo and n/a engines alike have been at 15,000mi for a long time, at least since 2007. That, and the coolant, tranny fluid, dif fluid, are all considered "lifetime fluids" in the eyes of BMW, which is a bunch of bull. There's no such thing. So yeah, go 160,000mi without ever changing your tranny fluid and it will fail. If you properly maintain these things (and most people don't), they'll last.

The OCI's were longer than that when I left BMW. More like 10-15K depending on what the oil monitor came up with. The monitor didn't actually test the oil, it just guestimated based on driving style and conditions.

I think you might be right, but it didn't make any difference for me. I did the changes on all of my Bimmers at 3,000. The filter location on the M3 made for the easiest oil changes I've ever done.

I didn't buy new, or else I may have argued the point with service. I'm sure the techs know better. I'm interested if anyone is seeing the effects, now that the updated maintenance schedule has been out for... 6-7 years?

Tits mcgee

I think you might be right, but it didn't make any difference for me. I did the changes on all of my Bimmers at 3,000. The filter location on the M3 made for the easiest oil changes I've ever done.

I didn't buy new, or else I may have argued the point with service. I'm sure the techs know better. I'm interested if anyone is seeing the effects, now that the updated maintenance schedule has been out for... 6-7 years?

I've called around and all the dealer techs say it's okay to stick with the BMW plan as long as you use their oil, but to go no longer then 15K or once a year (whichever come first). They also claim that the stories of gummed up valve-trains is from mixing incompatible types of oil. All the mom's and pop's shop's say 5k is when it should be done. I'll prob go with the 5K, but I think it's not much better then the 3K when it comes to OCI overkill. Maybe i'll test the waters with 7.5K, but I doubt it.

I've called around and all the dealer techs say it's okay to stick with the BMW plan as long as you use their oil, but to go no longer then 15K or once a year (whichever come first).

Not many options on the M3. Castrol 10-60W.

Tits mcgee

The owner manual says if an alternate oil is the only thing available then use an oil with an API SM rating or higher.

From BMW NA - http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Content/Owner/SyntheticEngineOils.aspx

BMW Long-life rating LL-01 Approved Synthetic Oils for the US Market

Castrol Syntec European Formula SAE 0W-30

Mobil 1 SAE 0W-40

Pennzoil Platinum European Formula Ultra SAE 5W-30

Valvoline SynPower SAE 5W-30

BMW Long-life rating LL-01 Synthetic Oils for BMW M vehicles equipped with S54, S62, S65 or S85 engines:

Castrol TWS Motorsport SAE 10W-60 Synthetic Engine Oil

Castrol Formula RS SAE 10W-60 Synthetic Engine Oil (BMW part number 07 51 0 009 420)

Guys, can I please get your thoughts on this

2006 BMW Z4M COUPE

Thanks in advance.

http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/van/cto/3711887556.html

Seems awfully expensive for a 2006, even if it is relatively low mileage. Depends on how important the rarity of the car is to you. I'd rather spend that money on a used M3/M5.

3rd party warranties are usually garbage. If it is a BMW of Canada or North America warranty then go for it.

Otherwise just set aside $3K for maintenance, increasing that holding to $5-$7K if you can.

Guys, can I please get your thoughts on this

2006 BMW Z4M COUPE

Thanks in advance.

http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/van/cto/3711887556.html

AFAIK they are a pretty solid car. It utilizes the S54 found in the E46 M3, which is a pretty reliable engine. It will require expensive regular maintenance.

The exhaust, body kit, and wheels are very expensive. I'm sure that contributes quite a bit to the price.

Archived