LegacyGT.com

Any BMW fan bois here ?

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HPFP is a concern for sure. Its kind of amusing how much the BMW owners complain on their boards over cost of ownership. I would say one of twenty pick up a wrench, which is pathetic. The ones that do, say they are actually pretty easy to work on.

i've worked on a few E46s with my buddies, the layout and assembly is very logical and therefore working on them for modifications is usually pretty straight forward.

the only thing that was difficult was changing exhaust headers on an XI model since the front drive shafts really impede the work space and trying to wrestle those things in place was a f*@#! pain. we also didn't quite have enough extensions for the ratchets so we ended up in super awkward positions trying to get the header bolts off.

but i also helped another friend change his water pump on his B6 series Audi A4, for that, i wanted to murder someone. we were swearing all day and night working on that, it was ridiculous how labor intensive it was. after that i decided i would never purchase an older audi because of how difficult it was to work on. i'd probably only consider one on lease brand new with a maintenance package so i wouldn't have to experience any of that ridiculousness again.

8-series or bust.

They haven't made the 8 series for over ten years

I wanted to like the 135 but at the end of the day, for daily driving, the 7spd DCT is horrible when trying to start off. There were times I would hit the gas and nothing happened for a full 2 count, and then the car would rocket forward. The 8spd AT's are not smooth or fast either. And you can't feel a thing through the steering wheel now.

I love the DCT, but can see what you mean about the gas being slightly delayed. I'm not sure if they all come with the sport button, but the one I have does and it changes the throttle response nicely.

I don't drive in stop and go traffic so the foibles of a DCT in such operating conditions are meaningless to me.

I love it because you get the best of both worlds. Lightning quick shifting and no clutch pedal like an AT, but with added strength of an MT and the ability to drop the clutch for a burn out.

I find the warranty attractive, plus the dealership I worked for sold Dinan packages and tuning. Never observed any issues with them.

The dinan is very attractive for that reason alone. But I have read that it's fairly conservative. I'm really waiting for Cobb to release the AP for the 2013 135i. The other option is the JB4, but it's a piggy back. And I guess as of like 2008/2009, BMW has hidden tuner codes that can track what your doing. So they will see things like the motor making more then stock boost. Basically the ECU throws an error code, but you never know until you go to the stealership. I like the ability to flash and unflash the ecu with the AP.

Exactly. That is a lot of coin to drop on a car, and then have it blow up with no warranty for a few extra HP on a dyno plot that you'd never actually see any gain from on the road.

Are the Dinan packages more expensive? You bet your ass they are. On the other hand Dinan has been in the business for a long time, and they know how to make durable power, and will back it up with warranty coverage.

I don't see any other "tuners" offering to cover repair costs if there are problems with the car.

• Mega Users
I find the warranty attractive, plus the dealership I worked for sold Dinan packages and tuning. Never observed any issues with them.

Yes the warranty is attractive. The price isn't. What's nice is that Dinan includes the whole package, tune and coverage, which is nice. You get what you pay.

My friend had his M6 tuned for $550, a lot cheaper. But, no warranty coverage.

"Remember Danny - Two wrongs don't make a right but three rights make a left."

Yes the warranty is attractive. The price isn't. What's nice is that Dinan includes the whole package, tune and coverage, which is nice. You get what you pay.

My friend had his M6 tuned for $550, a lot cheaper. But, no warranty coverage.

I was gonna call your friend cheap for driving a car that starts at $108,000 and not wanting to spend the extra $1500 for the tune with warranty, but when I looked at their website, I seen that dinan doesn't offer a tune for the M6. :lol:

• Mega Users
I was gonna call your friend cheap for driving a car that starts at $108,000 and not wanting to spend the extra $1500 for the tune with warranty, but when I looked at their website, I seen that dinan doesn't offer a tune for the M6. :lol:

Its a 2007, which he paid 48k for. The Dinan tunes are $2999, along with factory warranty match. He no have warranty, he no need Dinan.

Its a 2007, which he paid 48k for. The Dinan tunes are $2999, along with factory warranty match. He no have warranty, he no need Dinan.

That's a lot of money to pay for a car with no warranty.

Anyways, Dinan doesn't have tunes that increase power for the M6. So you need to go elsewhere anyways http://www.dinancars.com/shop/index.aspx?series=M-Series&model=M6#page=1

I agree. But, very low risk to a very high reward for me:):lol:.

until those fix it bills start coming in. :lol:

I'm okay with having something like that for a second car. But that's ghetto if you chose that for a DD if that's your only car.

• Mega Users
I agree. But, very low risk to a very high reward for me:):lol:.

until those fix it bills start coming in. :lol:

exactly, I won't be paying them. :lol:

Archived