LegacyGT.com

Any BMW fan bois here ?

Let us all know how much $$$ you spend on fixing suspension components and body mounting points. You should be experiencing such repairs soon if you keep hammering on the car.

You're going to need to create a list for me at this point of all the different things you've now instructed me to alert you about upon their breaking over the past 5 months.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply
AP stuff is going to be released soon. He already has most of the ProTuner software for it.

Figured I'd update this post. Per Cobb, the AP could be available by the end of the year. The email from cobb:

Jared Bronson (COBB Support)

Jun 26 09:36 am (CDT)

Jason,

Unfortunately, your car misses the cutoff by about 4 months and looks to be using the new ECU. The BMW engineers are working on support for the new ECUs as one of their main projects and we're hoping to have support ready somewhere near the end of the year. Sorry I didn't have better news for you but we should definitely have support for you in the future.

Let me know if you have any additional questions!

Thank you,

Jared Bronson

ph: 866.922.3059

• 6 months later...
Update to above post. Per cobb today from the local cobb dealer: we will not be releasing an Access port for the 2012+ N55 motor. It would not be profitable enough to continue the research needed to develop and release an AP for the cars with the newer DME's. I know this is a LGT forum, but this information might prove useful for my fellow LGT'ers looking at purchasing a new 135, 335, 535, 640, or 740 beamer.

Well looks like you'll just have to suck it up and buy the Dinan software for the N55.

Yes it does cost more than Cobb likely would have but you still have a warranty and Din an has been at BMW tuning far far longer.

• 1 month later...
3rd party warranties are usually garbage. If it is a BMW of Canada or North America warranty then go for it.

Otherwise just set aside $3K for maintenance, increasing that holding to $5-$7K if you can.

That's what I am doing. Just keeping a 3k slush fund for my BMW and learning to wrench what I can. There is a slew of DIY tutorials out there, especially YouTube.

I also have two reputable BMW independent shops that are nearly half the price of BMW service center.

So far, I can say the driving experience lives up to the hype, while also being well refined and comfortable. Mine is 2007 and it's still as well featured as many new cars.

I think I am hooked.

image.thumb.jpg.35bb5c74af699ec3f88549a4576dcc04.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Sounds like you already made up your mind, but FYI the N54 isn't all that bad. It did win engine of the year in it's class six years in a row (07-12)

Dinan stage 3 is basically a tune, upgraded oil cooler and intercooler. I do like how he compares it to a M3 though. Maybe as fast in a straight line, but the M3 is a whole different beast when it comes to handling. I'd also like to point out that stage 3 only adds up to 7 Dinan points. 10 are required for the badge. More importantly, once a car receives the Dinan tune the motor loses it's BMW warranty and switches to a "Dinan" warranty. That Dinan warranty only last for 4 years or 50K miles. Basically his car might be under extended warranty until 2015, but if that motor goes, GOOD LUCK.

• 4 weeks later...
What do you guys think about this one, please.

KIMCICACM--Keep in mind, cars in Canada always cost more. ;)

http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/van/cto/4400090931.html

Fantastic car. I was never sold on its looks, but overall it has solid mechanicals and performance. It has the S54 (same engine as the E46 M3). It will require valve adjustments every 30,000 miles. It'll be pricey if you take it to a shop, but many people do it in their driveways.

That engine makes some of the most beautiful noises this side of a Ferrari 355.

Archived