LegacyGT.com

Any BMW fan bois here ?

As dumb as he sounds I really sincerely hope he buys an '03 or '02 7 series. Those cars were literally so bad that CSI scores for service are not even counted against the dealership where "quality of work" is concerned.

You should encourage him to buy one of those instead.

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply
OMFG, BMW forums suck so much ass it's not even funny, every last one of them.....:mad:

There are 4 types of posts that make up 98% of forum content, and here they are in order of popularity:

1) Help, something broke!....but I won't search anywhere before asking about an extremely common failure. I won't even ask google. :ohhh:

2) Yo, check my style, I gotz new rimz and tinted my tails. Will an M6 front bumper fit on my 5 series? That would look dope.:woowoo:

3) How much should this cost? The dealer is trying to take advantage of me, because I won't try to educate myself. :confused:

4) Please help me. I just bought this car, and I have some really stupid questions because I can't :rtfm:

Don't ever leave me guys :wub:

:)

Yeah I agree 100%. Those forums are either rich little twits, poor little twits wanting to look rich, or the 5% old guys with knowledge that infrequently post due to little twits. 1 addicts the sub-forum forum of bimmerpost for the 1 series doesn't even have any tuning threads. Tuning seems to involve either hooking up a piggyback or a cobb stage 1 map and calling it a day. The E90 sub-forum isn't much better. I've had this same conversation with other LGT members and I actually feel lucky that i've been able to gain the information that I have about subies. For the most part, our members (LGT) are pretty decent when it comes to helping out others, posting up their experiences and fixes, and creating walkthroughs and tutorials.

Bimmerfest is awful.

I like Bimmerforums. I don't think it's nearly as bad as people make it out to be, although I mostly confine myself to the track section.

They also allow nudie pics in GC. win

Bimmerfest sucks, Bimmerpost (aka E90post) sucks, Bimmerzone sucks......they're all just awful.

• 1 month later...

2.) Brake dust, lots of it. You will be cleaning wheels frequently if you drive stop and go traffic. BMW builds their cars to stop well, and that means the brake pads lead short messy lives.

That's an understatement. I clean my wheels and two days later it looks like i've never done it :eek:

Man......I got all excited thinking someone had posted something interesting in one of the few threads I still read.....and instead I see a discussion about brake dust. *YAWN*

Oh by the way I just had my transfer case replaced under warranty....which just expired last Friday.... :) Let the horror begin!

Man......I got all excited thinking someone had posted something interesting in one of the few threads I still read.....and instead I see a discussion about brake dust. *YAWN*

Oh by the way I just had my transfer case replaced under warranty....which just expired last Friday.... :) Let the horror begin!

I just finished my break-in and was demonstrating the launch control with the flag icon to wife. Burn-outs in rush hour traffic are always good for a scare or two :lol:

1NN,

I'd love to go 245 all the way around, but the 1 series has narrow front fender wells and would require the use of camber plates to go wider then 225. As for the Cobb, i'm still waiting for the AP for post 2011 cars. How do you like the PSS? Do they seem to be wearing at a faster then normal rate? I've heard mixed reviews on the wear of those tires.

Yeah that's my biggest beef with the 1's, you really can't get much rubber under there no matter what you do. I'm running a staggered setup 245/40-18, 275/35-18, so I can't rotate. I've only got a couple thousand miles on them but they seem to be wearing well. As for how I like them? They're the best compromise of all out performance and comfort I've ever experienced in a street tire. This is my 2nd set, the first being on my '05 STI. Probably won't bother trying anything else for a while and would seriously recommended them. Time will tell about wear though....

The one is a love it or hate car. I guess that if they made it too easy to mod, they would seriously hurt their M3 sales. I'm curious to know what the M1 will be like though.

Wear is the the only issue that I have heard about. Performance wise they seem to be the most popular. Do feel like they created any issues with the suspension? I've read that the factory struts are tuned for the run-flats and some people say that the suspension acts a little soft after the switch

To some extent it feels that way. I ditched the brand new stock RE050a run-flats that came with the car because I couldn't deal with them anymore, it was like riding on rocks. My brain felt like it was being rattled around inside my skull, especially on LA roads. When I put on a set of normal RE970's, ride compliance increased quite a bit, but there was a real decrease in initial turn in cornering response throwing the 4200lb wagon into a curve. It was bad enough that I looked at getting bigger wheels with sportier tires (the michelin's), which ultimately suited the car's nature much better.

The michelins were the perfect compromise between the stiffness (and responsiveness) of the run-flats and the comfort of a regular tire. Running anything less sporty makes the car feel overwhelmed when pushed hard at Stage 1 (stock, normal tires seem to do the job), and yes, the suspension felt "out of time" with regular UHP A/S tires.

I really have yet to drive fast enough to break traction in a meaningful way, and when the tires do start to break, you get a nice, predictable, and not excessively loud chirp (lest you alert every cop in a 2mi radius)....It's a bit unreal how much grip the combo of AWD plus very sticky tires can create though, really.

Lots of torque + great AWD design + super sticky tires = :dm:

Let us all know how much $$$ you spend on fixing suspension components and body mounting points. You should be experiencing such repairs soon if you keep hammering on the car.

Archived