LegacyGT.com

Any BMW fan bois here ?

• Mega Users

Penguin that's a great write up. Correct my if in wrong, but isn't the new twin charged 6 the one that has all of the fuel pump issues, or its everything direct injection?

Everything else, including the terrible bad and ugly, I can deal with. It's funny you mentioned the bent wheel, that happened to the 550 I drove. Then there was the mechatronics (not sure if that's the correct spelling) that was taken care of in its early days.

I'm looking at ones without nav, because the factory nav was shit to begin with. Looking forward to purchasing a passport/navi combo.

"Remember Danny - Two wrongs don't make a right but three rights make a left."

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Penguin that's a great write up. Correct my if in wrong, but isn't the new twin charged 6 the one that has all of the fuel pump issues, or its everything direct injection?

Everything else, including the terrible bad and ugly, I can deal with. It's funny you mentioned the bent wheel, that happened to the 550 I drove. Then there was the mechatronics (not sure if that's the correct spelling) that was taken care of in its early days.

I'm looking at ones without nav, because the factory nav was shit to begin with. Looking forward to purchasing a passport/navi combo.

I can easily agree with and in many cases validate first hand what Penguin's essay speaks to about these cars.

The HPFP fuel pump issue was all DI cars produced 2007-2008. It was replaced under warranty at 30,000mi on mine according to the maintenance history, along with 3 injectors (apparently they were bad in batches of 3 in the 6cyl engines). Warranties on the fuel pump's were extended to something like 10yrs / 120,000mi. On the N54 (135/335/535), the warranty on the turbo's were extended to 8yrs / 82,000mi for wearing out wastegates. I don't believe BMW did anything about extending fuel injector warranties, but I could be wrong on that.

I do seem to hear a high incidence rate of wheels getting bent. I'm not sure how much of that is a reflection of wheel quality, or more so in my opinion, a reflection of regularly combining big wheels with skinny and stiff-as-a-board run flat tires. The intake RO for mine said that one of the wheels was bent when it came in and the accompanying TPM sensor failed, it was on 40 series run flats coupled with a rather stiff suspension on a 4200lb wagon. Combine this with regularly running low pressure due to poor driver maintenance/awareness, and you're just begging to bend a wheel.

The paint durability also leaves much to be desired. My car has a million rock chips that really look pressed into the paint, like it's soft. Though as penguin said, the sheet metal and overall build quality itself is awesome (night and day vs subaru, but that's to be expected), and the interior quality absolutely top notch and pretty durable relatively speaking. I don't feel that way about the new bmw's though, much cheaper looking inside IMO. And yes, at my current 80,000mi, I'm thinking the stock struts (still on the original set) won't be on there for more than another 5-10,000mi.

I also had the mechatronics sleeve leak (fixed on the intake RO as well before I bought the car, which had 77,000mi on it when I got it). Yes, while it's true that I read a fair amount about leaks here and there and electronics going nutty (and yes, some of the repairs for them can get very pricey), I have read all of one account of an N54 engine blowing up from running 600whp in a 335. While I'm dismayed about the reliability of the electronic systems (which typically aren't built in house anyway), I am seriously impressed by the components BMW actually builds, like engines and transmissions. Lots of folks on the BMW forums that don't know a thing about safe tuning or maintenance are regularly running tunes with 18-22psi without blowing anything up.

I'm no fan of most current gen BMW's, but I hope that time proves them to be more reliable than the 2004-2010's. Mostly, what really puts me off are the new transmissions, steering (electric now), and looks. I wanted to like the 135 but at the end of the day, for daily driving, the 7spd DCT is horrible when trying to start off. There were times I would hit the gas and nothing happened for a full 2 count, and then the car would rocket forward. The 8spd AT's are not smooth or fast either. And you can't feel a thing through the steering wheel now.

Too bad about the steering, but almost every car on the road in the next few years is going to be saddled with it. Too bad you can't turn the power assist off at higher speeds, nothing beats the feel of an unassisted steering rack.

I feel the looks of the current cars are much improved over those of the Bangle era, but that is subjective. As for interior quality for some reason the materials BMW chooses look better with age than they do new. I can't explain it but for some reason as they break in they actually start to look better. To me at least.

• Mega Users
While I'm dismayed about the reliability of the electronic systems (which typically aren't built in house anyway), I am seriously impressed by the components BMW actually builds, like engines and transmissions.

I was just on the E60 boards reading on a couple of threads. One person said that these 6 speed trannies were prone to failure around from 125,000 - 150,000 miles. 5-7k R & R cost. Didn't make any sense to me, considering I just drove a 550i with 212,000 miles on it (original tranny), and obviously the trannies are only as good as they are maintained (maybe something AWD drive related) . This is something that would be a deal breaker for me.

I wouldn't mind buying a car like this with 150k on the clock as long as I saw receipts and a good future with proper maintenance. Still researching sedans with /bluetooth/powerful engine/leather/awd/no air ride to be had for <12k. Ones bigger and quieter than the LGT.

The tranny issue could have something to do with BMW's new "life time" transmission fluid. So even someone follow religiously the service interval and service it at the dealership, there might be issue down the road.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

The tranny issue could have something to do with BMW's new "life time" transmission fluid. So even someone follow religiously the service interval and service it at the dealership, there might be issue down the road.

haha, i was always suspicious of that claim. i think if you just changed it at regular intervals like any other car you'd probably be less likely to run into issues.

haha, i was always suspicious of that claim. i think if you just changed it at regular intervals like any other car you'd probably be less likely to run into issues.

If you compare the service interval before BMW started to offer "complimentary service" you will see the big difference.

I was fortunate enough to have a BMW master tech as my good friend so I get some cool insights once in awhile.

But man... I would love to own another M5 again...

• Mega Users
Yeah you're right, my bad.

The E90 328i after the introduction of the turbo 335i also uses DI on that naturally aspirated inline 6. I think it is the N53.

HPFP is a concern for sure. Its kind of amusing how much the BMW owners complain on their boards over cost of ownership. I would say one of twenty pick up a wrench, which is pathetic. The ones that do, say they are actually pretty easy to work on.

You find this on the Land Rover forums a little too, although I would say about half of the LR owners acutally turn a wrench. The ones that do, say they are incredibly easy to work on. The only car I would buy air ride in:wub:

I have been told by the BMW master techs I used to know that other than electronic bullshit and wiring harness nightmares that BMW's were pretty easy to wrench on. In typical German fashion replacement parts fit perfectly, and work right the first time, and in many regards the mechanicals are laid out in such a way as to be logical and easy to actually work on.

Also with the HPFP at least you won't be stranded on the side of the road with a bad one, the car will still operate at reduced power and you can get it in to get serviced. Not that it isn't a pain in the ass, just it shouldn't strand you.

Oil changes and routine maintenance are really easy on most of them. The oil filter is up top right in front where it is easy to get to. Just install a Fumoto drain plug valve, and oil changes barely require getting under the car.

The sealed transmissions are another story though.

HPFP is a concern for sure. Its kind of amusing how much the BMW owners complain on their boards over cost of ownership. I would say one of twenty pick up a wrench, which is pathetic. The ones that do, say they are actually pretty easy to work on.

I think 1 in 20 is very generous. I would be willing to bet that figure is closer to 1 in 200 BMW owners actually doing their own service.

Probably more like 1 in 500 even know how to get a car on jack stands to even attempt to do an oil change. They might know how to use a ramp, but a lot of ramps are too steep for cars with low approach angles.

• Mega Users
I think 1 in 20 is very generous. I would be willing to bet that figure is closer to 1 in 200 BMW owners actually doing their own service.

Probably more like 1 in 500 even know how to get a car on jack stands to even attempt to do an oil change. They might know how to use a ramp, but a lot of ramps are too steep for cars with low approach angles.

Ya you guys are probably right. Kind of amusing watching them bitch all of the time.

I went thru the DIY transmission flush and refill and it looked pretty technical. Like filling at certain temperatures and whatnot. Jesus.

Ya you guys are probably right. Kind of amusing watching them bitch all of the time.

I went thru the DIY transmission flush and refill and it looked pretty technical. Like filling at certain temperatures and whatnot. Jesus.

I bet you have to have an engineering degree to make someone a cappuccino in Germany :)

.....though it might not hurt to have that here seeing how most places screw it up.....

• Mega Users
just picked up a 98 328i a couple weeks ago for the fiance to drive

pretty nice power/handling for a 15yr old car

nice guy, i just bought my girlfriend a trowel so she can start to do the landscaping come spring.

The sealed transmissions are another story though.

I wrote the book on diy ATF changes on these things for the MINI boards. There's a PDF out there on MINI Mania and North American Motoring.

It's essentially the same concept as doing a fluid change on a differential.

The tools and access to the drain/fill bolts, another story :lol:

They call them lifetime fluid, which means run the trans into the ground and then swap the entire unit.

Go ask any dealer to define lifetime and you'll see what I mean :)

When I drained the ATF in the MINI, it was right around 65K and although not burnt, it was definitely starting to look like coffee.

Lifetime ... and it wasn't even synthetic, just your run-o-the-mill Toyota TIV fluid. A quart at Toyota would have cost me $5, at BMW/MINI about $30 :lol:

Went with Mobil 1 synthetic and after 3 drain/fills that thing was better than new. Best 6EAT I've ever driven, felt like a DSG although it was not.

No ATF change is the reason the vast majority of transmissions fail on imports.

Many dealers don't even know how to do a fluid swap, OR they do a horrible half-assed "let's do ONE drain and fill and call it a day" and charge you $300 for it.

For the BMW fans, how is the 2.0 turbo in the newer 128/328 in terms of tuning potential?

Everyone seems to love the 3.0, but I haven't heard anything about the 2.0 yet.

Lots of tuning potential. I forget what shop tuned it, I think the story was posted on bimmerfest.com, but they already have gotten it to 300whp (it's rated 240 crank)

The big problem with the 2.0 is it sounds like a tiny diesel engine, either inside the cabin or standing outside with the car driving by. It doesn't sound anything close to luxurious. I wouldn't want my $40-60,000 BMW to sound like that....which is probably motivation enough to spring for the inline 6 for me. Power wise however, the 2.0 has it in spades for sure, it is a very stout motor.

Archived